Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1081   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-18, 15:56

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

The lymes test needs to be "interpreted. " Especially if patient had had it before. Doc was confident about her procedure.....left me less confident as another UMASS doc said it was positive.

Thanks for the link.
Sponsored Links
  #1082   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-18, 23:29

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

Janet, I love your recommendations. Lol. My total cholesterol is now 9.8. 🙄

I will find something to hand to my doctor when she reads me that riot act.

Teaser, I did not really track my macros very well. I just can’t eat that much fat. I recall feeling very ill during the three days of high fat eating. I only fasted for 11 hours so stuffed that one up too.

I may have another crack at it, just for the knowing.
  #1083   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-18, 11:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I learned a lot from the book Death by Food Pyramid, but the essence is that we can only digest and draw nutrients from foods which fit our enzyme profile, which we inherited from all those relatives who adapted to eat where they were.

One size does not fit all.
  #1084   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 08:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
A new podcast collaboration, episode 2 explains what they are planning with Dr. Fung and Megan. 4 episodes so far.

http://www.lowcarbmd.com

More about this unique podcast and its moderators on DD: https://www.dietdoctor.com/announci...carb-md-podcast

The second episode, promoted me to check Dr. Fung's Physician Network. Way more doctors than had been on it last time checked. Also a somewhat different list than the other LC doctor lists: https://idmprogram.com/idm-physicians-network/ 3 in Canada, a few international, rest in 3 areas of the USA.

And new from Dr. Perlmutter, yet another Summit:

Quote:
With all of the hype around fasting, you may believe it to be just another modern dietary fad, but the truth is that fasting is as old as our species. Until very recently, humans have always had periods of going without food. Fasting is baked into our evolution and our physiology and it can yield benefits to our brains and bodies, at a biochemical level, that we’re only just beginning to understand.

With this in mind, I wanted to invite you to the Fasting Transformation Summit where I, along with other leading health experts, will explore the latest cutting-edge research on fasting and explain how to fast in a way that maximizes the benefit to your brain and body.

The series is free and online from January 14th-20th. You can claim your spot by registering at the link below!

https://fastingtransformation.com/?...tm_source=10287

Not a fan of Dr. Jockers, but there are others I do like, inc. Dr. Fung.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Dec-03-18 at 09:16.
  #1085   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 12:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

So I'm not the only one who thinks Dr. Jockers is a big old ball of cheese.
  #1086   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 14:22

Another Chiropractor like Eric Berg who pretends he is an MD and writes articles about topics "out of his lane" as the new meme goes. Plant-based cancer diets? I've been there and am done with that, so will pass on watching all his veggie friends. And before any chiropractors jump on me...my uncle was one and they are good for the musculoskeletal system, but Jockers sells a boatload of $$ supplements, or maybe they are cheeseballs.
  #1087   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-18, 20:07

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

I just started listening to the Low Carb MD Podcast. Fung and Megan are guest speakers, lots of great info....

Thanks Janet for the link!

I like that they are adding actual patients and the struggles they face.
  #1088   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-18, 21:22

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I'm not impressed with the line-up for this summit. What I dislike about the summits in general is that there doesn't seem to be much quality control so good information from some speakers gets tossed in with very questionable information from others. This summit seems no exception, even maybe worse than most.
  #1089   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-18, 09:25

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I'm not impressed with the line-up for this summit. What I dislike about the summits in general is that there doesn't seem to be much quality control so good information from some speakers gets tossed in with very questionable information from others. This summit seems no exception, even maybe worse than most.

My sentiments as well. Mixing credible speakers with others not necessarily having a shared agenda for improved health as their primary motivation leads me to cherry-pick the information from those I trust. Summits typically don't do it for me.
  #1090   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-18, 09:49
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Quote:

My sentiments as well. Mixing credible speakers with others not necessarily having a shared agenda for improved health as their primary motivation leads me to cherry-pick the information from those I trust. Summits typically don't do it for me.

LowcarbUSA San Diego 2018 was no exception. While one could argue that hearing different perspectives can be of some benefit, what I was there for was the latest scoop on LC related material. Not all of the speakers there were of interest to me. A few were rather off-topic.

Speaking of "argue", one speaker who supported LCHF/Keto as ONE of many healthy options went on and on about different circumstances and symptoms where LCHF/Keto would not be the best option. In the Q&A session following his presentation, none other than Dr. Eric Westman himself got in line to offer his 2 cents. He challenged that speakers "reasons" for not recommending keto one by one in a respectful, but rather heated debate. Mild mannered Dr. Westman being confrontational? I'm glad that I stuck around for that Q&A session.
  #1091   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-18, 05:02

Going Full Circle, a newer talk by Dr Fung to medical professionals. The first video posted on his old kidney practice website was to professionals at his hospital. This one was Filmed June 2017 at the PHC in Manchester by the DD video staff.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/video/manchester-fung

Quote:
In this video, Dr. Jason Fung gives a presentation on diabetes to a room full of medical professionals. He goes into depth about the mechanisms leading up to type 2 diabetes and the difference between type 2 and type 1 diabetes. He also shares details on his experience on how to reverse type 2 diabetes. He ends with taking questions from doctors in the audience. Tune in for this video if you want to learn how you could help your patients with diabetes.

Table of contents

0:40 The two phases of type 2 diabetes
4:00 What is insulin resistance?
13:10 What causes fatty liver?
19:05 Beta cell dysfunction burnout
22:05 The sugar bowl
29:00 How to reverse type 2 diabetes
33:25 Dietary regimens
39:57 Medication adjustments
47:01 Bloodwork
52:40 Questions

For health professionals, but an interesting new summary.
  #1092   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-18, 12:15

Fasting Movie Trailer:
http://dougorchard.com/wp/fasting/
  #1093   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-19, 10:44

For the New Year, a reminder that the The Obesity Code Network FB page is a wealth of information. What i like best about its moderators is that they save all useful information in the FILES, so easy to refer oft repeated questions.

By now, it is huge, so also helpful.... "What IS in the Files"

I tried to link it, but must be signed in to FB, it is a 7 page detailed INDEX to all the files by topics, including Fasting FAQs, what to eat, etc. etc.

New Year's Day also prompted a number of mind-blowing success stories, here's just one if you have joined FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/obe...10676319124310/

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jan-02-19 at 10:55.
  #1094   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-19, 12:38

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Going Full Circle, a newer talk by Dr Fung to medical professionals. The first video posted on his old kidney practice website was to professionals at his hospital. This one was Filmed June 2017 at the PHC in Manchester by the DD video staff.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/video/manchester-fung

For health professionals, but an interesting new summary.

Hi Jey, thank you for all of your great posts and Happy New Year!!
Is this the right link for this video of Fung in Manchester. I only got a video with
short comments from each of the doctors.
  #1095   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Hi Jey, thank you for all of your great posts and Happy New Year!!
Is this the right link for this video of Fung in Manchester. I only got a video with
short comments from each of the doctors.

You are welcome, Meme and Happy New Year to you.
The link in post #1091 goes to a one-hour talk for me.
Are you a member and logged-in?

You can join for the DietDoctor the 30 day free trial, decide to keep it or not, it is easy to cancel...and restart as often as you want.