Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 14:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Ah, the fights with our carb addicted selves are epic, aren't they?

I had to be really honest with myself, and realize that it WASN'T being nice to say yes to junk, it was giving myself an out to eat something I wanted to eat, anyway. WOW, that hurt!

Glad to see the thread getting busy.

OOOOOh I think I get that MickiSue! It's much easier to blame others than take responsibility ourselves. Food for thought I am going to dig a bit deeper into my own behaviours in those situations now!!

Agree about fear building up as the holiday celebrations loom nearer. We know our resolve will be challenged by all the temptations. I like routine in life particularly in my eating. Having found a pattern of eating that suits, I don't relish a different timetable and different foods. Whilst alcohol has no attraction to me I will be expected to drink something. The sweet juices like apple or grape are not appealing and I don't like fizzy cans of drink either. If possible will have sparkling water or soda water and lime. Really the whole thing is worrying. Personally I am actually a bit frightened that I might lose control. That a smell or sight of a particular food might just tip me over the edge and I won't be able to stop. That reminds me of the saying "If you believe you can or you believe you can't.............. So i had better instil some confidence in my ability to handle this. Think I need some of Jo's inspirational advice.
Dark long cold nights certainly don't help. And yes having strategies in place can only be a good thing.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 15:14
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Jo IS an inspiration. I read her journal when I need a boost.

I have another idea for you to boost your own belief that you won't crumble in the face of temptation:
Have you ever worn something that made you feel beautiful? I hope so. Because you can psyche yourself into not caring what anybody thinks.

Last August I attended the 70th birthday party for my graduating high school class, most of whom I hadn't seen since the commencement night 1963. The party was divided into a Friday afternoon meet-and-greet, very informal, and a Saturday night dinner. I had recently had success with Dr. Fung's protocol and I felt very svelte. Friday I wore my low-rider jeans and a fitted top and I felt BULLETPROOF GORGEOUS! Realistically, I was not. I'm still 70 years old, but I felt beautiful. Nothing could have ruined that night for me. The only stuff I ate off the buffet was cheese, and only a little bit of that because I didn't care what food there was. Eating was unimportant. When they cut the cake, I just ignored it. I had a ball!

One of the women asked me why I hadn't attended the Ladies Luncheon that day and I told her, "I'm fasting." She just looked blank, and that was that. You'd be surprised what you can get away with. Your health is really more important than their opinions.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 18:02

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:

I always think it's just as important what you do eat as what you don't eat.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-15, 06:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Jo IS an inspiration. I read her journal when I need a boost.

I have another idea for you to boost your own belief that you won't crumble in the face of temptation:
Have you ever worn something that made you feel beautiful? I hope so. Because you can psyche yourself into not caring what anybody thinks.

Last August I attended the 70th birthday party for my graduating high school class, most of whom I hadn't seen since the commencement night 1963. The party was divided into a Friday afternoon meet-and-greet, very informal, and a Saturday night dinner. I had recently had success with Dr. Fung's protocol and I felt very svelte. Friday I wore my low-rider jeans and a fitted top and I felt BULLETPROOF GORGEOUS! Realistically, I was not. I'm still 70 years old, but I felt beautiful. Nothing could have ruined that night for me. The only stuff I ate off the buffet was cheese, and only a little bit of that because I didn't care what food there was. Eating was unimportant.

That is such a fantastic outcome. I can see you would look gorgeous and yes the power that feeling gives, rules out any power food could have. Love that. Actually you remind me of Judi Dench considerably older and very beautiful. I do look better and more shapely, have a couple of outfits that may just give me a bit of that feeling. Just have to be brave enough to wear them!!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Dec-04-15, 07:20
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by esw
I do look better and more shapely, have a couple of outfits that may just give me a bit of that feeling. Just have to be brave enough to wear them!!
Like so many things in life, it's all between the ears. I can drag myself down, just as easily as pumping myself up. My DH is a great person, but he is not demonstrative. I have to ask him every once in a while if he still likes me, just to make sure. At my age, I get no feedback about how others perceive me so I have to manufacture my bravery all by myself. I guess I've got practice. But family can get to us quicker than anything else. The choice for me was to grow a thicker skin. Some people choose not to do that and I understand why, but it was necessary for me to take away their power over me.

I've been known to say out loud, "What you think of me is none of my business." To which I usually only get blank looks because they can't figure out what that means.
Do all that you can to convince yourself of your right to control what goes into your mouth. They can't take away your thoughts and dreams. Those belong to you.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 12:04

BF:

Xmas cards written today . Not something I relish so glad it's done. Hardly write any these days but still send to immediate family and elderly relatives.

Family are planning to visit at xmas. They know how I eat and accept it quite happily. I make them the things they are used to and enjoy. What I eat is delicious so I will be quite happy.
It's always more of a problem when we eat at others houses. I will be following all the tips from this thread to make it work.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 12:32

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by esw
Family are planning to visit at xmas. They know how I eat and accept it quite happily. I make them the things they are used to and enjoy. What I eat is delicious so I will be quite happy.
That's the way to do it--make delicious foods and suck them in....My husband says he has no problem eating low carb, if I cook delicious meals. He is actually starting to make better choices on his lunches that he eats out, which is great.

I just have to say I'm feeling very optimistic today--I switched my hormone regime from bio-identical progesterone, to a mix of BI progesterone and estriol (an estrogen)--very low dose. A week in, and I think I can confidently say that my sleep is very much improved! I have wake-ups, but they are brief. If this continues, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all the extra time! Not sure how this change will affect my weight. But I would exchange a few pounds for good sleep anyday.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 13:13

BF:

I am finding like you Nicekitty, that my husband too is enjoying the tasty concoctions I am coming up with. The only downside is whilst he is enjoying the extra fat in the way of butter,cream etc he is also eating carbs quite heavily. Sometimes think he is having the worst combination of high fat plus high carb. He 's not prepared to give up the carbs though.

Glad to hear of your optimism, things always seem better when in that frame of mind. A good night's sleep is something to be treasured. We don't appreciate it enough until we are not getting it. Hope the new regime works for you long term.
They were offering sweets at work today but they had no appeal to me!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 19:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

From my experience, it takes husbands a while to get on board. Mine was still eating cold cereal--and a BIG bowl, thereof--along with lots of rice, bread, etc, when I went strict on my LCHF. Now, he rarely eats cereal, will have maybe one piece of bread a day, and occasionally, but not often, wants rice or potatoes with his dinner.

But it's taken many months. The grains are still hanging around, and I've been grain free for over two years.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 21:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esw
The only downside is whilst he is enjoying the extra fat in the way of butter,cream etc he is also eating carbs quite heavily. Sometimes think he is having the worst combination of high fat plus high carb. He 's not prepared to give up the carbs though.
I know what you mean! I make a nice low-carb meal, and he adds two slices of toast! So annoying! I've been keeping a close eye on my husband, and he hasn't gained any weight, so hopefully everything is not falling apart inside. I'd love to have some blood test results.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-15, 07:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esw
Guilt is so deflating. Like you Jo, I maybe felt uncomfortably full after overeating but it was guilt that caused most pain! However perhaps eventually, that became a positive? To be able to eat without guilt is so liberating and such a contrast. Now when planning eating I know I have a choice (guilt or liberation) no guessing what I choose. I just love

Anyway updating to give myself a pat on the head
Major victory today. I do miss a really tasty savoury Italian pasta dish. Make similar at home without the pasta but when dining out that choice isn't often available. You know the kind with chicken, chorizo, mushrooms cheese, herbs, cream and pasta. Plus some other delicious little additions that you can only get at an Italian style restaurant! Well after big day, xmas visiting elderly relatives, we called in at one of those restaurants on the way home. Just didn't fancy a steak which was the meatiest meal. Majority were either pasta based or chip or bun based. Went for the pasta with all the afore mentioned favourite ingredients. Ate all the o/p things and not one single piece of pasta. So chuffed and to be honest it wasn't a hardship. Really the pasta just bulks things up and without the tasty accompaniments, which I ate, it would just be a bland filler.
Really hit home that pasta, bread, potatoes, without savoury additions, are nothing more than fillers. Similar to what is added to sausages, animal feed and many more everyday items. Keep on keeping on.

Copying the above quote from my journal as it is a game changer for me, and it might help some others.
We are so used to eating real food with a filler! If we could get away from the fillers, not just because of the carb/ blood sugar effect but also to break the habit. A lot of our eating is habit, a learned response! We need to learn new permanent more appropriate eating habits. We can do this.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-15, 10:03

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
From my experience, it takes husbands a while to get on board. Mine was still eating cold cereal--and a BIG bowl, thereof--along with lots of rice, bread, etc, when I went strict on my LCHF. Now, he rarely eats cereal, will have maybe one piece of bread a day, and occasionally, but not often, wants rice or potatoes with his dinner.

But it's taken many months. The grains are still hanging around, and I've been grain free for over two years.

You are lucky MickiSue, my DH eats the LC meal and tops it of with some cake or other junk he stashes away when I am not looking. I often lecture him about early death and rotting from the inside and the only response I get is, "I am 71 years old and I am ready to have (finger quote) a early death.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-15, 13:42

BF:

Quote:
Major victory today. I do miss a really tasty savoury Italian pasta dish. Make similar at home without the pasta but when dining out that choice isn't often available. You know the kind with chicken, chorizo, mushrooms cheese, herbs, cream and pasta. Plus some other delicious little additions that you can only get at an Italian style restaurant! Well after big day, xmas visiting elderly relatives, we called in at one of those restaurants on the way home. Just didn't fancy a steak which was the meatiest meal. Majority were either pasta based or chip or bun based. Went for the pasta with all the afore mentioned favourite ingredients. Ate all the o/p things and not one single piece of pasta. So chuffed and to be honest it wasn't a hardship. Really the pasta just bulks things up and without the tasty accompaniments, which I ate, it would just be a bland filler.
Really hit home that pasta, bread, potatoes, without savoury additions, are nothing more than fillers. Similar to what is added to sausages, animal feed and many more everyday items. Keep on keeping on.
We have a really good italian restaurant in town that we like to go to. They have fantastic pasta dishes. I haven't been able to get them to substitute an innocuous vegetable for the pasta, but last time I was there, I told them to cut WAY back on the pasta "I don't care if it is a smaller serving"! It worked great, looked like soup but tasted fantastic without all the "filler". Even my husband was jealous of my dish.

Getting restaurants to serve dishes without rice has been easy. And they don't even bat an eye when I tell them to hold the bun. The more we hammer on them to cater to our needs, the easier it will be for the low-carber that comes after us. And when we reach a critical level, they will realize how important it is to have more options for us. If you don't have good options, you will lose our business, but if you do cater to us, you'll have a very loyal customer.

Restaurants love to use lots of filler ingredients like pasta, etc..because they are cheap, make the serving size look good, and don't need much prep work. The better quality a restaurant is, the less they will depend on that cheap stuff.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-15, 05:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
Restaurants love to use lots of filler ingredients like pasta, etc..because they are cheap, make the serving size look good, and don't need much prep work. The better quality a restaurant is, the less they will depend on that cheap stuff.

I was just thinking that last night. It really was quite an expensive dish for not very much REAL food!! Had it been a fine dining restaurant, it probably wouldn't have cost much more and just had the real food!

See what you mean about trying to change things. Fact is though as you say, they want to make the dish appear more, as cheaply as possible. So what better way than-the bun-the rice-the pasta or the chips.

Gammon roasts are a good price just now, aimed toward the xmas meal. Plan to buy extra and freeze some.
Made soup the other day with a ham hough bone. Lovely soup and the meat off the bone was delicious, we got a couple of meals out of it.
Hope we are all managing to make good choices.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Dec-15-15, 16:57

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

I know some say it's hard for the husband, but it is hard for me to change my wife's mind. She has seen the close to 50 I have lost and the things people say about how great I look. You would think it would get her on board, but she still eats, cereal, pop tarts, cookies, tortilla chips and dip and so on. Any Ideals?

Also Xmas is coaming and I feel the same way about the sweets, I would eat 6 brownies and 10 cookies before this WOE. I think I am going to get a low carb bar and cut it up and eat it over the 4 days. I want something sweet, but refuse to eat the bad cookie and deserts. I know it will take e off course and I will never go back.

Does anyone else have a low carb sweet?