Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-18, 20:25

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Oh and the biggest farce was when they convinced people that potato skins are an edible appetizer, something they use to feed hogs

Missed this note.

I remember two professors at university that dared each other to eat the greened portions of a potato--- they were brothers. The said they got a really bad stomach ache but clearly didn't die. I cant remember their reasoning as to why they didn't think it would be deadly despite all the well known lore about its poisonous ness.

Having said this, I'm up in the air. Sure is easier to NOT peel potatoes. But I don't use the green portions; storing the spuds in complete darkness helps keep the green at bay. I did harvest a plot of blue potatoes and the green is hidden by the deep purple skin. ( Im looking for purple fleshed potatoes.)
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-18, 20:35

BF:

You could be spot on!

Given the high numbers of cells, you might look into blood donation.

Also makes me wonder if you have something special that will keep cancer at bay. Fingers crossed.

My mom is now in her 80's and has outlived her mom by 20 years. They share the same genetic code for breast cancer, colon cancer and ovarian cancer. SHe has survived two bouts of treatments in the last few years.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-18, 20:41

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I just read about Broccoli and I didn't understand why it was OK for me to eat the Florette (intuitively) when I was so sick a couple of years ago and I just found out that the tops have very little fiber and the stalk has all the woody fiber.
Asparagus, we snap them off at the point they become woody and throw that part away.

I'm just saying that I believe that that stuff absorbs water and doubles in size then just balls up inside of us.

The Artichoke (which I love) we only eat the tender part at the tip of the leaves and the heart but we throw the rest away.

What I'm saying is that I will eat veggies but low fiber parts and no shells or husks.

I also know now from my tortilla/t chip escapade that it has a lot to do with the quantity that I can process at one time because I made myself sick as can be.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-18, 20:42
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Because of my recent research into ketogenic diet to treat neurological diseases, I had my DNA tested with 23andme. (Health + Ancestry) I don't have genetic markers for ANY major diseases. Also, I've been following Atkins more or less since 1972. Quite honestly, I hit the genetic jackpot and then I ate (what we call now) Keto.

The only treatment available for my condition is having the blood removed. We don't feel there's a need for that at this time.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-18, 20:48
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
I'm just saying that I believe that that stuff absorbs water and doubles in size then just balls up inside of us.

We're all so different. I've been taking psyllium husks since the '80s. If I don't, I'm prone to diarrhea. For some reason, that kind of fiber normalizes my digestive tract.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-18, 05:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Because of my recent research into ketogenic diet to treat neurological diseases, I had my DNA tested with 23andme. (Health + Ancestry) I don't have genetic markers for ANY major diseases. Also, I've been following Atkins more or less since 1972. Quite honestly, I hit the genetic jackpot and then I ate (what we call now) Keto.

The only treatment available for my condition is having the blood removed. We don't feel there's a need for that at this time.

I view genetics as a " maybe" effect-- it has a name that is new to me : epigenetics. This means that we have genes that turn on and turn off as they are triggered. ANd food quality can trigger this on and off. Eating keto seems to be one method of keeping the genes on the right track.

RE blood donation-
My brother has donated regularly since he turned 18. I cant imagine how much that adds up to. I have donated too in my early years, but My blood is rare enough that it is tossed if no suitable recipient is found; other blood types are universal donors, while mine is not. The Red Cross often needs blood, especially in late summer when donors are vacationing instead of donating. Getting suitable donars is difficult-- lots of reasons why people dont meet the requirements.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-18, 04:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

If you want general guidelines how to live well after cancer (or to prevent):

Dr. Colin Champ's September newsletter included a new Basic Lifestyle Guide, specifically after treatment for breast cancer, more generally for hormonal cancers, but much of it applies to good lifestyle choices following any cancer treatment.

His newsletters include other tips, observations, and news about new studies on cancer. This was a good bonus today, link includes a 10 page .pdf to print.

http://colinchamp.com/a-basic-lifes...ncer-treatment/

http://colinchamp.com/wp-content/up...east-Cancer.pdf

ps: if you thought the photo is at odds with the guide, the pink sugar cookies drive him crazy every October. His previous article about breast cancer and sugar is on his website.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-18, 04:15

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Thanks for this thread. I too wish there were a section for Cancer on this forum.

I have much reading to do, for now, just grateful for the early stage of my cancer, and being back on a plan that has worked well for me before. To not be carb loading during the holidays, is a real win for me, given my past couple of years behavior.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-18, 05:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Patricia,

I continue to recommend Miriam's book for someone with cancer who wants simple guidelines to nutrition while working with your oncology team and "standard of care". Dr. Colin Champ was invited back to TheIHMC for the fourth time this fall...all his talks are good. Fighting Cancer with Food and Fitness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm8...w&index=16&t=0s

Anyone is welcome to PM me an email for my latest list of resources...I try to keep the articles geared to the typical survivior clinic patient who has no science background, but they can get dense.

wishing you all the best,
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-18, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Patricia,

I continue to recommend Miriam's book for someone with cancer who wants simple guidelines to nutrition while working with your oncology team and "standard of care". Dr. Colin Champ was invited back to TheIHMC for the fourth time this fall...all his talks are good. Fighting Cancer with Food and Fitness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm8...w&index=16&t=0s

Anyone is welcome to PM me an email for my latest list of resources...I try to keep the articles geared to the typical survivior clinic patient who has no science background, but they can get dense.

wishing you all the best,

Ty, off to watch the talk now.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-18, 11:39

BF:

Janet also started a cancer thread-- it is older.... and wiser.

Talked with a friend this morning, very frustrated that we need to advocate for ourselves, and docs are nearly useless. They can bring out the big guns but do not have prevention protocols.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-18, 05:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Janet also started a cancer thread-- it is older.... and wiser.

Talked with a friend this morning, very frustrated that we need to advocate for ourselves, and docs are nearly useless. They can bring out the big guns but do not have prevention protocols.

Can you give me the link to that thread?
I am still a bit shell shocked. I was told over the phone when I got my biopsy results. No discussion of potential treatments "if", no mention of diet changes, good books to read, support groups. Just nothing.
I have my first post surgical cystoscopy upcoming and I will nail him to the floor if I have to, to get my questions answered.
That said, it's on me to get to oh, say my internist with some questions, and I have found this fall too chaotic to do so. I have found an online support group where I just listen (and swallow hard because none of it is easy to read), and I've been researching bladder cancer - amazing to find out how common this is.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-18, 05:30

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
Can you give me the link to that thread?
I am still a bit shell shocked.

I think this is it: The Origins of Cancer
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-18, 06:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
I think this is it: The Origins of Cancer

Thank you!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-18, 08:48

BF:

Quote:
Weight gain after menopause is associated with an increased risk of breast cancer with each step-wise increase in weight.

Then why would the docs remove the ovaries and force the body INTO menopause before its time??