Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 11:16

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%
Default to switch or not to switch

i have just finished the PP book and i am wondering if it is really all that much different from atkins. if i am already at around 30-40g of carbs a day, what will i eat differently from one plan to the next?? also, in phase II, where you eat around 55 carbs a day, i am wondering if my atkins critical carb level for loosing is 30-40, what do i eat differently so i don't stall? if i increase carbs sould i decrease something else, fat perhaps??

one thing i do notice is that PP seems a little less "fatty". for example they say use a combo of whoe eggs and egg whites, use milk or 1/2 and 1/2 in your coffee.

i am feeling like a change, been doing atkins for a while and am having a little trouble loosing. i was thinking a change might jump start things again. i am just a little confused about just adding some carbs (even if it is fruit or "good"carbs) without doing something else different. especially when i was stalling out on atkins when i went over 50 carbs.

i also looked back over my fitday and usually ate a little over my recomended protein requirement. the book said over was okay, just don't go below, so i don't think there is any change required of me in the protein department either.

any ideas or suggestions??
thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 01:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The neat thing about PP is there is a lot of options to begin with. You never have to worry about adding this or that or the "carb ladder". All you worry about is your grams per day within the acceptable food range and getting adequate protein.

Egg yolks are limited because of the arachidonic acid but you're right about high fat dairy products being limited.

Even so, people will tweak. I follow a grain-free version because grain sets me off and makes me feel sick. I do have berries every now and again and only local fruit when it's in season. When Atkins and PP are both followed correctly, they're pretty similar.
I think the most important thing is to follow whatever program you're doing cleanly. Eat real food, avoid the fake stuff - it's an easy and complacent well to fall into - and drink lots of water!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 06:24

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Karen, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Acipenser, there are a couple things that are different (at least in my mind). There really are no food restrictions with PP, as Karen said. The authors (Dr. Michael Eades and his wife, Dr. Mary Dan Eades) do frown on grains, as you probably know from reading the book. Like Karen, I tend to stay away from grains. I'll have an occasional slice of toast with my eggs, but the grains tend to set off cravings for me.

The PP plan is also lower in fat than the Atkins plan. On Atkins, they recommend ranges of approximately 65-70% fat, 25-30% protein, and 5% carbs (at least at first). Although there are no set percentages for PP (at least that I know of), they do tend to recommend leaner cuts of meat and other protein sources.

You just need to find what works for you. When I did LC for the first time, it was using the PP plan. The weight literally fell off me. Then "carb creep" happened, and I gained some back. The next serious attempt was with Atkins. It was a little harder, but I got down to the lowest I'd been in years (152). Carb creep again. I had been doing PP, but not having much luck this time. It's my own fault, though. I'm not taking it seriously enough. I never go way overboard, but I'll have an extra treat here and another there. They add up.

Since around January 18, I've gone back to more of an Atkins approach with the higher fat percentages, but ensuring that I'm getting adequate protein. I post on the "Protein Power Pals" daily thread. We're all doing variations of the PP plan -- some with lower calories, some higher, some lower carbs, some higher, etc.

Come on over and join us. We're a friendly group (though we seem to be experiencing a lot of personal issues lately). Hope to see you there!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 06:50

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi Acipenser:

Can't add much to what Karen and Bawdy have said.

I switched from classic Atkins to a lower fat version because I wasn't losing well. I switched from LF Atkins to PP because I felt awful - was listless and had no stamina. Eating adequate protein has reversed that. Basically, I see PP as an adequate protein, moderate fat LC WOE while I see Atkins as more of a high-fat LC WOE.

I join Bawdy in inviting you to the daily Protein Power Pals thread - we are a friendly and supportive group - it is a great place to ask questions and get support while considering or making changes.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 14:48
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Cool

Hi,

I too have been thinking about this plan, awhile back I read PP Lifeplan, now I am reading Protein Power (I think it's the first book before Lifeplan?). I prefer more protein and a little less fat, I have had a hard time with Atkins, (no fault of his diet, its my own faults) I have a hard time staying true to it and I tend to wander off to easy. I was thinking if I tried something different it might jump start me too and also keep me motivated if I feel I am trying/doing something different.

A question tho, one recipe in the book (Tex-Mex Cheese Flan with chunky salsa) called for nonfat ricotta and light sour cream, being that I am still reading this book, does this plan allow for your choice of having low fat cottage cheese and low fat cheese and light sour cream over the higher fat versions of them or do you have the option of doing either? Some plans tell you to have the high fat version of everything and imho some low fat now and then sounds kind of nice. Any feedback would be great, thanks alot.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 15:00

from what i got reading the book, you should not be afraid of the fat, but it seems they also tend to use the lower fatty versions of things, like the cottege cheese and half and half instead of cream. like you, i needed something different, and also like you lower fat versions of things sounded nice for a change.

to quote bawdy earlier in this thread:
Quote:
The PP plan is also lower in fat than the Atkins plan. On Atkins, they recommend ranges of approximately 65-70% fat, 25-30% protein, and 5% carbs (at least at first). Although there are no set percentages for PP (at least that I know of), they do tend to recommend leaner cuts of meat and other protein sources.

you will find that people here on PP will tweak their plans to fit the needs for themselves and each individuals goals. as for myself, i am lowering my fat intake a little with hopes that it may result in lower calories which may help the weight loss. this is my second week in so i don't have much in the way of results yet, but will know more in the comming weeks.

feel free to stop back by anytime. also check out the daily threads, there is quite a lot of support going on in those.

good luck
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 15:02

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi SeeMyself

You are allowed to eat the lower fat versions on PP if you wish. They often have 1 - 3 more carbs that higher fat versions, so do check the labels for accurate counts.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 15:17
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi

I like fat as far as using olive oil in my cooking, blue cheese dressing and avacados and nuts, but when it comes to dairy I kind of want to go with the lower fat versions because it seems that cream and hi fat cheeses seem rich to me and for some reason make me want to eat more because of the richness in their taste.

Its worth a try to try this way, maybe the change is what I need..... Thanks again...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:23
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 167/160/150 Female 68 inches
BF:29%/24%/18%
Progress: 41%

For people that stall...I just have a question...Are you exercising? You obviously may need to tweek your daily menu, but I am such an advocate for getting exercise. If I find myself in a stall....I figure I need to kick up my exercise a bit. For instance...I do my Elliptical Trainer just about every day. I usually do Interval Training Level 2 for 40 minutes(5 min warm-up in manual mode and 35 interval mode) Just yesterday I did increase my activity a bit by doing the Interval Training...6 min warm-up in manual mode and 45 min interval mode. Your body gets used to the same caloric, protein, low carb thing everyday and your metabolism with adjust accordingly. To kick up that metabolism...exercise. I also started some light resistance training about a week and a half ago and that has also helped...Increase muscle mass=Increase metabolism. Also...when you say you stall....are you talking about no changes on the scale. The scale is a scary device sometimes. I think a lot of us have grown up with the notion that you measure weight loss by jumping on the scale. Just look what happens when we go to the doctors....we get weighed on a big old scale...to see if we have lost or gained. I think if we can slowly change our minds to doing body measurements and relying more on those as an indicator of weight loss than people doing these WOL would be a bit more optimistic and be less likely to get frustrated and drop out of the program.

Thanks for letting me vent!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 12:57

yes, i excercise 2-3 times a week at the gym and then sometimes do other things like bike rides and skiing every now and then (couple times a month)

i know that is not a lot, but it is what i can fit into my life at this moment in time. one trick i learned is to vary your cardio also. do eliptical machine for a couple of months and your body will get used to it, then switch it up an walk or run for a couple of months, then switch again. (learned that from a personal trainer i had once back in the low-fat days)

short answer--while i am not sure i am in any kind of "official" stall or anything, i am hovering around 200-205, and yes i excercise
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 13:20
Registered Member

Stats: 167/160/150 Female 68 inches
BF:29%/24%/18%
Progress: 41%

If you continually do the same routine day in and day out then I do believe that your body will get used to the work-out. I have an Elliptical Trainer at home and was a big investement for our family but it is awesome. It allows you to do many, many different programs...Interval, Hill, HR monitoring, manual etc. My workout is different everyday. So I do believe you can work on one machine, if it has the capabilities to change things up for you, everyday....and still notice improvements in your fitness and body. I am only 34 years old and just found out I have Degenerative Disc Disease in my low back. I can only do certain things and the Elliptical has been great because it is low impact but gives a great work-out.

I know it would be great if I could get to a gym and try some other things out to see how I would do at them....with my back and all....but (sigh), I live in the sticks in rural Maine and would have to drive quite a distance to get to a club. Working out at home seems to be my only option right now. I just cannot wait for it to warm up a bit so I can get the girls outside as well as myself.

Take care acipenser....Happy Skiing!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 07:56

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

I started with PP, but am now following a hybrid of PP and Atkins. I never did induction, and I don't stress over being in Ketosis most of the time. My carbs are in the 30-40 [er day range, and I just try to make sure I get my minimum protein in each day. Most of my carbs are from veggies, and whatever is in my protein foods. It has worked for me thus far. You may want to read Dana Carpender's book "How I Gave up LF Dieting and Lost 40 lbs". I am reading it now, she gives a good rundown of the LC programs, and how to do what works for you. Plus it is an easy read All in all, do what works best for you!!

Robin
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 268/257/150 Female 68
BF:39%
Progress: 9%
Default Change is GOOD!

Hey!

I know I need a change from Atkins because too much fat causes my RA to flare-up. I've been looking for a similar LC diet with less fat and more protein. This PP diet seems a very good plan. I like the Atkins but my being able to exercise and do daily chores or have fun is more important than being laying up in bed and unable to do anything. I was struggling to exercise or do housework or shopping or visiting, but couldn't because it was difficult to stand or walk. So I'm looking forward to change, success and support. I'm glad I did my research and again, thanks.

Cindy Q
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 18:14

welcome to PP cindy, join us in the pp-pals daily thread!!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 10:48

Stats: 384/142/135 Female 5 ' 5 1/2 "
BF:
Progress: 97%

I agree with Robin. I try to limit my carbs to just what I get in my basic foods, dairy, protein and vegetables. I don't add low carb wraps, breads or any grains to my diet. I seem to loose weight pretty good rate doing this.