Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-26-20, 06:26

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Gravitostat--weighted vest versus bodyfat

Quote:
Reduced obesity for weighted-vest wearers

Scientists from the University of Gothenburg, Sweden, have found a new method of reducing human body weight and fat mass using weighted vests. The new study indicates that there is something comparable to built-in bathroom scales that contributes to keeping our body weight and, by the same token, fat mass constant.

The researchers hypothesized that loading the vests with weights would result in a compensatory body-weight decrease. Sixty-nine people with a body mass index (BMI) of 30-35, the lowest obesity category, took part in the clinical study. Their instructions were to wear a weighted vest eight hours a day for three weeks, and otherwise live as usual.

All the study participants wore weighted vests but, by drawing of lots, they were assigned to one of two groups. The control group wore only light vests weighing 1 kg, while the treatment group wore heavy vests weighing some 11 kg. When the three weeks had passed, the experimental subjects who wore the heavier vests had lost 1.6 kg in weight, while those wearing the light vests had lost 0.3 kg.

"We think it's very interesting that the treatment with the heavier weighted vests reduced fat mass while muscle mass simultaneously remained intact," says Professor Claes Ohlsson of Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg.

"The effect on fat mass we found, from this short experiment, exceeded what's usually observed after various forms of physical training. But we weren't able to determine whether the reduction was in subcutaneous fat (just under the skin) or the dangerous visceral kind (belly fat) in the abdominal cavity that's most strongly associated with cardiovascular diseases and diabetes," says Professor John-Olov Jansson of Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg.

In previous animal studies published in 2018, the scientists showed that there is an energy balance system that endeavors to keep body weight constant: the "gravitostat," as they have dubbed it. In mice, this regulation takes place partly by influencing appetite. To work, the system must contain a kind of personal weighing machine. The researchers' new clinical study shows that similar built-in scales exists in humans as well.

If people do a lot of sitting, what seems to happen is that the reading on our personal scales falls too low. This may explain why sitting is so clearly associated with obesity and ill-health. Weighted vests can raise the reading on the scales, resulting in weight loss.

Many questions about how the gravitostat works remain for the researchers to answer. Aspects they want to study include whether, in wearers of weighted vests, changed energy expenditure, appetite and mobility help them to lose weight. The scientists also want to see whether the weight reduction continues for the vest wearers over periods longer than three weeks, and whether the dangerous visceral fat is reduced by the treatment.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...00430091301.htm

I think this is likely more of a 'botherostat.' If you put mouse chow on a higher level in the cage, or make them work a treadmill for pellets, they'll eat a little less, probably because they have to work harder than overeating the chow is worth to them. But they'll climb any mountain for an oreo or pizza equivalent. Notice they say the effect on the mice is thought to work through appetite... probably means, as you'd expect, the vests don't exactly increase activity levels in the mice. Add enough weight and the mice won't move at all--total appetite suppression. Just what we're looking for, a dose-dependent appetite suppressor.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-26-20, 07:31
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I own an MS vest. It's filled with paraffin-filled sacks distributed evenly. I can easily implement an experiment. They call it gravitostat, I call it "setpoint" and I'd really like to lower mine. This could be a way. I'll check out the article.

Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-27-20, 05:34
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

My weighted vest is only 5 lb.

Nevertheless, yesterday I started my experiment, only to stop it after a short amount of time. See, it's summer in Las Vegas, and working in the heat while wearing the vest made me very uncomfortable. Not to mention the fact that doing chores while wearing a glaringly-white, bulky piece of clothing was going to result in a quite dirty vest and a grumpy me.

I guess my motivation just isn't quite there yet. Maybe this winter?