Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-10, 09:12
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Here ya go

Lemon cheesecake mousse.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=404807

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Hey Lisa!
What is a portion size of this yummy delight?

oops! never mind...1/2 cup is a serving....so 4 ozs.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-10, 11:11

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Jalapeno poppers:

Cut jalapenos in half and clean very well--scrape the seeds and membrane out with a spoon. Wear gloves or don't touch sensitive areas for about 24 hours after making this!

Fill the peppers with cold cream cheese

Wrap with bacon

Cook at 380F to 400F for 30-45 minutes. The cream cheese does not melt by the way! It stays put!

Depending on the jalapeno these can be super super hot. Usually the jalapenos we get are mild, but these were so hot, I couldn't eat them. The bacon and cream cheese was still delicious by itself though (and spicy from contact with the chiles).

F
  #108   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-10, 11:25

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Here ya go

Lemon cheesecake mousse.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=404807

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

thank you! I'm going to make this tonight it looks incredible.
  #109   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 08:39

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

Oh. My. God.

I just had the best eggplant lasagna, parmesan, whatever it was last night.

you need: eggplant (large), italian style canned tomatoes, one small can tomato paste, salt, mozz cheese, and parm cheese

Take one large eggplant cut in thin pieces (not super thin) and fry and/or bake for 20 minutes or so (I did both to save time as it was a large eggplant).

In the meantime mix the cans of tomatoes and tomato paste- add salt, garlic powder, and oregano if you wish.

once the eggplant is done, start to layer it over a dish. 1 layer eggplant, one layer tomato mix, one layer mozz cheese .You should get 2-3 layers depending on size of dish (I prefer a deeper smaller dish).

Bake for around 15 minutes.

Let cool, scoop out and sprinkle w/ parm.

Tastes SO good.
  #110   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 11:26
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I have a recipe like that that I posted in the main dish forum. I also add in a layer of ricotta. REALLY good too YUM
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 16:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Been seeing the "B" word cropping up a lot lately. Time to bump this thing.
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 17:02

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 300/205/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Thanks! Finding some great recipes as I read through this thread.

I thought I was getting bored as well but I came to the conclusion today that it isn't boredom. It is this darn Metformin that makes me feel sick most of the time. I thought I was getting sick of the actual food!
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 18:29

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=414539

Easy to make and absolutely delicious! This rates right up there with DW's LC Pizza. I would say this would help cure any boredom with LC thats set in
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 20:43

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

had to work until 10 tonight, so it was take out for me.

Had ceviche- possibly my favorite food
  #115   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 08:01

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fialka
Jalapeno poppers:

Cut jalapenos in half and clean very well--scrape the seeds and membrane out with a spoon. Wear gloves or don't touch sensitive areas for about 24 hours after making this!

Fill the peppers with cold cream cheese

Wrap with bacon

Cook at 380F to 400F for 30-45 minutes. The cream cheese does not melt by the way! It stays put!

Depending on the jalapeno these can be super super hot. Usually the jalapenos we get are mild, but these were so hot, I couldn't eat them. The bacon and cream cheese was still delicious by itself though (and spicy from contact with the chiles).

F

When I make mine I wear plastic gloves - ouch found out the hard way!! I also use the thick cut bacon as it really stays moist and not too crispy. Only draw back to these is they taste AWESOME WITH ICE COLD BEER UGH!!!
  #116   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 18:24
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Been seeing the "B" word cropping up a lot lately. Time to bump this thing.

Good thread, great ideas. Thanks for bumping . It's now a Best Of topic

Doreen
  #117   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 20:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 173/171/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 4%

But sadly, no one will read this if it gets moved. I'm kind of over this moving of all the threads business.
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 06:26

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Abby - It'll still pop up by looking at "New Posts" under the Quick Links selection above.
  #119   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 12:56
Registered Member

Plan: Thompson Low Gly. Load
Stats: 344/318/200 Male 71.5
BF:
Progress: 18%

I was pointed to this thread... as a newbie here, I was waffling on in another thread, and someone suggested this thread might be a better home for my thoughts......... it seems to be, just not one of the ideas mentioned do a thing for me, tried them all and more, but the MORE effort into food I make, I am finding it counter-productive :-(

I have lost such interest in food, I eat only to satisfy appetite (and that's only partial, as I am ALWAYS hungry, even after eating) and now rarely put the effort into cooking as it has all become the "same" to me, and more importantly not worth the effort.

Being disabled and in constant pain, spending time cooking and preparing means MORE pain, but at one time, that was worthwhile as it meant at least the end result of decent food was pleasure, now it means JUST pain, and so I bother as little as possible, (and it's getting worse!) and the only food I genuinely crave is that I can't have! The pain appears to be effectively operating as some sort of avoidance therapy, it seems to be telling me (in a BIG way!) NOT to bother as the discomfort is just not worth the effort!

If I never saw meat again, I would not complain, apart from the fact I would have much LESS choice of what to eat and it would then be even MORE boring! eg. a piece of cheese is as "thrilling" to me as something I spent 2 hours cooking... ie. it's NOT!

Last week I went to a restaurant with friends for one of those rare special meals I only have a few times per year, (it was a full Indian (Bangladeshi) meal) and it was positively orgasmic.. so I haven't lost my interest, just I feel forced to eat what I don't like! I have even tried eating this sort of food without the obvious carbs, (it's already fairly high in carbs without the obvious ones of rice and breads!) and it then becomes just like eating that piece of plain meat or plain cheese - plain boring and unsatisfying, partially because I don't get as FULL without the carbs but it has to be more even than that? - so I simply don't bother and stay at home until I can justify a rare carb-fest when I use carb-blockers to help prevent me having a hypoglycaemic attack!

It may be psychological, (it is certainly very depressing) but 50 years of learned behaviour hasn't been "unlearned" in the best part of 18 months, and I only perceive carbs as being "satisfying!" A meal with no carbs is not a meal at all to me, and that is being positively reinforced in my brain too!

One thing for certain, a lifetime of high carb low meat working class diet, mixed in with a regime of low calorie-low fat diets add in ULTRA low calorie starvation type diets, and it has complete screwed-up how my my appetite works, as well as my metabolism! :-(

I never mentioned cost.... 5 or 6 times the cost for food is a conservative estimate... and I forever need to shop - low carb food isn't something that is dried and lives in a packet, it rots QUICKLY! So making the discomfort and pain worse as I spend hours shopping - so stimulating the dislike of food!
NOTHING in the UK is convenient for low carb eating... so every single item of food has to be prepared or cooked, and you simply have no idea of how I crave the long-lost concept of getting up, and eating a breakfast without any BOTHER... just opening a pack of cereal for example.

I don't lose weight any more on Low carb, I eat far too much, plain quantity - but I don't gain any weight at all either and because of that it's controlling my Hypoglycaemia perfectly, but I feel my quality of life is almost as bad as it was when I was passing out from Hypos, just in a different way!

If I was just using LC dieting to lose weight, (which it does, but not in the same league as low fat/low calorie diets do!) I would undoubtedly have dumped it long ago, and reached for the pizza - but I don't have a choice, it's a lifetime thing for me now, or worsening ill health from the Reactive Hypos, ending perhaps as full-on Type 2 diabetes (and the miserable death I watched my Grandmother suffer on a medically controlled carb laden diet!)

Does anyone relate closely to what I am saying, or, as I suspect is this because of a particular combination of circumstances?
  #120   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 13:22

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/245.4/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi there picton,

I'm sorry you're feeling so low. I definitely know what it's like to eat LC and NOT lose. I hate that you're feeling uninspired by the food you CAN eat, and that you feel like you want other things right now.

Are you familiar with the recipe section of this site? There are some GREAT ideas there. Deep dish pizza quiche is a firm, long time popular favourite around here.

Also, just wondering... do you have a freezer? I am in the UK too, and I KNOW what you mean, about stuff rotting!! I mean, if I don't portion out my meat and put it in the freezer AT THE LATEST, the day after I buy it... it is TOO late already. So I feel your pain on that!!

Also.... do you like veggies at all? I think LC is pretty hard to do successfully, if you feel really limited, to just meat and cheese. They are super heavy on cals, and I know for me, without veggies,.... I just end up "not gaining", like you.

If you're disabled, to save yourself some effort, time, and discomfort, is it possible for you to use a supermarket delivery service?

If you want cereal in the morning, you can make your own. A few chopped mixed nuts, some unsweetened shredded coconut, cinnamon, and a splash of single cream thinned with water, maybe?

Personally, I looooooooove eggs. But I know people crave variety sometimes. I think there are DEFINITELY ways to make your food more appetising to you once again. But I think you need to put some thought into it, look at some recipes, and switch things up a little bit.

I know it is HARD, when we feel the way that you have just described!

Please keep posting. This forum is a fantastic place of support, and resource for information.