Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-19, 11:40

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I don't actually eat a lot of meat. More like I eat a lot of heavy cream and butter.

Bob--none of the definitions you posted actually says that an omnivore is not a carnivore.

Quote:
An animal that only eats plants is called a herbivore and an animal that only eats meat is called a carnivore.

This comes the closest, but... a Great Dane is called a dog. Not all dogs are Great Danes. An exclusive carnivore, that only eats meat, is of course a carnivore. That doesn't mean that a carnivore only eats meat--only that some do.

Wikipedia;

Quote:
A carnivore /ˈkɑːrnɪvɔːr/, meaning "meat eater" (Latin, caro, genitive carnis, meaning "meat" or "flesh" and vorare meaning "to devour"), is an organism that derives its energy and nutrient requirements from a diet consisting mainly or exclusively of animal tissue, whether through predation or scavenging.[1][2] Animals that depend solely on animal flesh for their nutrient requirements are called obligate carnivores while those that also consume non-animal food are called facultative carnivores.[2] Omnivores also consume both animal and non-animal food, and, apart from the more general definition, there is no clearly defined ratio of plant to animal material that would distinguish a facultative carnivore from an omnivore.[3] A carnivore at the top of the food chain, not preyed upon by other animals, is termed an apex predator.

Hurm. I'd argue that it would take an awful lot of cauliflower to keep the animal foods in a low carb diet from being the main source of nutrients/energy. Amber O'Hearn has been using that faculative carnivore term for a while, maybe because like me she wants to keep her coffee.

This reminds me of the fasting thing. The word is used in all sorts of ways, sometimes we want it to have just one meaning. If we want to argue common usage, I could argue I'm just about as common as anybody.