Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-01, 12:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/171/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

I stopped hrt about 3 days ago, to see if I could break out of stall, having my first real hot flash as I type. What a wave of heat. So, this is what I've read and heard about! I'm going to start looking for alternative sources to treat symptoms. One acquaintance mentioned a product called Meno. Anyone out there take any of the alternative product? Evening Primrose oil? I'm looking for recommendations.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-01, 17:45
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default hot flashes -- ugghhh

hi Liz,

About 7 yrs. ago, I went through a (temporary) medically-induced menopause, for endometriosis. Within 48 hrs of the first injection, I was having hot flashes. Hooo boy! Was it me, or was it hot in here? ... ... For the most part, it was unpleasant, but tolerable -- anything was better than before. Probably what interfered with my life the most was the night sweats. That was a REAL problem.

At that time, there wasn't all the information about soy and phytoestrogens. What I did find helpful was Dong Quai (root) capsules. It didn't prevent the hot flashes from ever happening, but they definitely decreased in frequency and duration....... and the night sweats lessened too. Hopefully your symptoms are happening in response to the abrupt cessation of HRT, and will disappear as your body adjusts.

Evening Primrose Oil (also Borage Oil) is a source of gamma linoleic acid (GLA). Anecdotal reports suggest it's helpful and may have estrogen-like effects. On the other hand, for a lot less money, the body can manufacture its own GLA from linoleic acid, which is abundant in --- ta dah -- FLAX oil (and the ground, unheated seed)

The Meno supplement is derived from brown rice bran, I do believe. Rich in isoflavone and a small amount of linoleic acid. Similar to the soy isoflavones -- it just seems that most of the studies and research have focused on soy. Alfalfa is also rich in isoflavones and conveniently lowcarb ..

Speaking of lowcarb, the diet should also be helpful in preventing any blood sugar swings that could trigger hot flashes. Just make sure to get enough protein.

Here's an excellent site I came across in my search for information. http://www.menopause-online.com/index.html lots of REAL advice, not just doctorspeak for "HRT or nothing" -- there's up-to-date articles, naturopathy and accesss to Medline research.

Hope there's something helpful for you ..

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-01, 15:02

BF:
Default Natural substitutes for hrt

Thanks Doreen. Must take a lot of time to write all these detailed responses to my questions as well as those of others. I'm going to head over the Choices this p.m. to check out dong quai and soy possibilities. I've bought flax seeds and made flax porridge a couple of times. Entirely palatable. Do you know how much daily flax seeds would be useful for reducing hot flashes and sleep interruption (I woke at 3:30 a.m. on Friday and had no brain at work all day long--lost and found my keys 5 times before 10 a.m., thought I was going crazy as I'd lose them almost as soon as I found them--spent the day patting my pockets, searching my purse, and lifting papers off my desk...).

Also, the hormone pills I was on were the conjugated estrogens from plants. Are those pills made from the plants that are the alternatives? And, if I'm getting hormones from plants, wouldn't that put me in the same condition (which I'm thinking has stalled me) as I was in with the pills? I'm confused.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-01, 16:16
Forum Founder

BF:
Default hi Liz

I go by the philosophy that if even one little tidbit of my long-winded ramblings is helpful or useful to somebody, then it's worth it to me ..

The site I mentioned before - www.menopause-online.com - is really excellent. Click here for the link to the Treatments page .. Everything you ever wanted to know, but were afraid to ask !! about estrogens, conjugated and estradiol, etc...... natural and synthetic. blah, blah .... at the bottom of the page are links to further information, including soy, herbs and others .... Click here for the link to the herbs information, specifically related to menopause. You might want to look at Black Cohosh too.

**There's also a link to a complete Herbal and Supplement Encyclopedia. I highly recommend the site, affiliated with TNP (The Natural Pharmacist) - very current and up-to-date. http://thirdage.tnp.com/tnp.asp

take care, hope this is helpful ..

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-01, 18:07

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

i'm 43 and i've been in perimenopause since i was 35! i suffered badly from hot flashes and night sweats. i now eat tofu daily and i don't have hot flashes. i started eating it daily about a year ago. i don't think it took very long to click in.
if you don't like tofu, there are lots of meat substitute products made with soy; wieners, cold cuts, burgers.
give it a try. it really helped me out.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-01, 21:58

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Hot flashes

A friend of mine is going through menopause and swears by tofu. She says that if she doesn't eat it for a couple of days running, the hot flashes come back. But as long as she eats it every day (I think she makes a shake every day with soy and fruit), then she's fine.

I'm NOT looking forward to menopause, as I HATE toe-food.

Rachel
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-01, 23:37
Forum Founder

BF:
Talking tofu, it's good fer ya

hey Rachel,

You'll be tickled to know that soy isoflavones can be taken in the form of a pill. No pain, no fuss, no muss -- expensive though. And studies show the most benefit is derived from consuming whole soy foods. Doesn't have to be tofu though.

Doreen

p.s.- I think it should be renamed mental pause ..
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-01, 10:39

BF:
Default Miso soup

Got soy isoflavone pills yesterday at Choices and plan to eat flax seeds daily. We'll see how it goes. One thing I can't find any info on is carb counts on Miso soup paste (there is some nutritional info on the container but it's hard to make sense of it). Does anyone have info on miso soup. I'd find it a pleasant way to get dietary soy.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-01, 10:56
Forum Founder

BF:
Exclamation miso

hi Liz,

I used to be a big fan of miso myself. However, just watch the carbs .. most misos are fermented with grains as well as soy, usually barley or brown rice. You might even see little bits of the grains in it. Netzer's food counts lists it at 2 to 5 carbs per level teaspoon / 5 ml, (up to 1 gm fiber) Miso is a good source of "gut-friendly" bacterial culture, similar to yogurt ..

Doreen