Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-27-01, 22:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/188/130
BF:
Progress:
Cool Low Carb, HRT & Coumadin.

blue
Hello,
I am new to this forum. I am on the Atkins plan, and I love not having the sweet cravings. I have lost very little weight yet, and I think the reason for that is that I am on HRT/Hormone Replacement Therapy. I am also not sure what Coumadin (blood thinner) does to someone trying to lose weight. I am taking Coumadin because I had my Aortic Valve replaced with a mechanical one last year August. Have to be on this blood thinner for the rest of my life. No choice!
What I need to know is if there is anyone out there that has had the same dilemma with HRT and losing weight.
I am pretty good with the food plan I think, and don't eat starches and sweets at all. I do eat fresh strawberries when in season and have the frozen ones other times. I have a low carb protein drink every morning with splenda as sweetener. I just learned that I need to buy the scoopable splenda as that has only sucralose in it. I bought the packets and know now that it has dextrose & maltodextrin in it.
For lunches I have a protein (5-7 oz) with a little olive oil on top, and either a salad or hot vegetable. Kind of boring at times, but I don't want to cook that much.

I have been exercising again since my surgery, gradually doing more each day! Was exercising before surgery too. Not as much as I had been used too, as I simply did not have it in me anymore. I was near heart failure because of the bad valve and had no idea. I blamed it on menopause problems because I was always so tired, hot & sweaty. I am unable to lift very heavy yet because of the open heart procedure just 9 months ago. In addition to the weight training 3 times a week, I also try to walk or swim every day. Have my own pool and treadmill.

For dinner, I also have a protein (5-7 oz) and vegetable (1/2 -1 cup). I do indulge in chocolate drinks made with unsweetened cocoa, water, sweetener and real cream. YUM!
When I feel like snacking, I snack on low carb nuts, low carb protein bars, cheese, or have more protein like a chicken or turkey drumstick. Or at times I have more strawberries with a little cream.

I do NOT weigh my food. I do messure vegies at times, so I don't get too much. I have been increasing my vegies by about 5 g a day, since I was not losing much weight, and thought I was doign the food plan too strenuously. I also had a terrible problem with heart burn but when I increased the carbs it got a bit better. I don't want to damage my vocal cords. At times I think I already have done that.
I drink a fair amount of water everyday. Some days more than others. I live in AZ and right now it is sizzling ~HOT~, so the need to drink is there all the time.

AZdutchgrl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-27-01, 23:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Dutchgrl!

Welcome to our forum. Don't know much about HRT, but wanted to say hi I know other members have mentioned HRT before and they might jump into the discussion.

You sound like you're into this as a way of life, way to go!

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-30-01, 19:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Dutchgrl

welcome aboard!

There's a common thought that HRT causes weight gain, but I can't find any proof of that anywhere. Some women do gain, but an equal percentage LOSE weight too. My thought is that we have estrogens circulating in our bodies all our lives till menopause, why would taking a small dose of it cause us to suddenly gain weight?? Hate to even think it, but weight gain may be more a function of being over 50, than being on HRT.

Coumadin will have no effect on weight loss.. .. sorry to hear you had to have that surgery (I used to work in ICU, I've recovered hundreds of patients after valve-replacement, both mechanical and tissue. It would sometimes be really disconcerting to stand by the bed and hear the little ball clicking in the person's chest)

You sound like you're doing well with lowcarbing Weight loss can be very slow for some, but it's the improvement in overall health and energy that is so rewarding. Just one point about the Splenda scoopable ... it has maltodextrin as the filler.. .. It has exactly the same carb and calorie count as the packets for the same amount of sweetening power. (each packet = 2 tsp sugar, and has 4 calories and 1 carb gram --- the scoopable, 1 tsp = 1 tsp sugar, and has 2 calories and 0.5 carb) On the horizon is a liquid Splenda, which has zero carbs and no filler. It's not available in North America yet.

Have you ever tried stevia? It's a natural plant extract, that tastes very sweet and has zero carbs. You can buy it at most health food stores. It has a slight anise/licorice flavour that some folks don't like, but I think it's fine, equivalent to any artificial sweetener. It doesn't lose sweetness with heat, so you can cook with it.

Take care, and keep us posted of your progress..

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-31-01, 12:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/188/130
BF:
Progress:

Hi, and thanks for your reply. God Bless you! I was taken care of very well in the CCU/ICU. Those nurses are angels. I appreciated everything they did for me. I really tried to enjoy the time that I had there. Walked from the second day on and haven't stopped.

My mechanical valve is a St. Jude's (19mm) and it is NOT loud at all. I can only hear it when I am going to sleep. If I am absolutely quiet and no other noise is in our bedroom. There are differences in valves. Let me tell you! I actually had two AVR's within eleven days last year. The second one due to a blood clot underneath the valve. Lucky for me the clot did not move into the heart or anywhere else.
The first AVR the surgeon implanted a Sultzer Carbomedics mechanical valve (21mm), and I could hardly stand it when I had gotten home. That thing was ticking in my throat ,and I could see the ticking through my eyes when I was watching TV. Was absolutely terrible! I thought I'd have a hard time getting used to that valve.
So something good came out of me having to have a second AVR, because with that I also got another brand and smaller valve. There are different sizes as well. (I had no idea)

Anyway, I have not gained any weight, but am not losing much either. So far 8 pounds. I am NOT unhappy about that, really not. The Atkins book states that people on birth control and HRT will have a difficult time losing weight.
Like I said before this WOE makes me feel so good, and not to have cravings is already a true blessing in the sky.
I carry my X weight really well as I've worked out for many, many years before I got heart trouble. Size 14 is not too terrible, but a 10 will look better. That's what I am striving for.
Take Care.

AZdutchgrl