Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/189/165 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Any runners???

I've started the Couch 2 5K running program recently. Just wondering if any other LCers are runners and/or using the same program. I'm looking to boost my weight loss as it has slowed drastically - not mention increase genearl health. Please share your experience and success.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-06, 09:52

Plan: Jenny Craig
Stats: 240.4/194/165 Female 5'6" - large frame
BF:soft/round/cuddly
Progress: 62%

I'm going to do this...............shall we buddy up for a 4 month goal.............5k runners in 4 months???

I had already begun my own version of this and like how it follows my same format, but better. I'd love to have a buddy to do it with!!!

C
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 23:54

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Hey I would like to begin trying this program with you all, not sure about the 5k though lol! I will be happy to get back to 3 mile runs lol...

Hope that is okay...
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 14:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 252/159/125 Female 65in
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default starting

I have been wanting to get into running this would be a great way to do it....
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 19:01

Okay ya'll. Tomorrow is my 4th run......I'm doing it every other day. My good friend/runner from the forum, Armory, gave me a great "learning to run" program that I'm following. I've included it for you all below. I'm thinking that each day that we run, we should post the running info here to keep eachother updated and motivated.

ARMORY'S INSTRUCTIONS:

LEVEL ONE:
3x per week: Walk four minutes, run one minute. Walk three minutes, run two minutes. Walk four minutes, run three minutes. Walk three minutes, run two minutes. Walk four minutes, run one minute. Walk three minutes.

Time: 30 minutes. Once you become comfortable with this routine and can run your minutes--not flat out sprinting, but a jog--comfortably (it may take you a couple weeks or you may want to add another day or two depending on your motivation), move to the next level.

LEVEL TWO: I always did this by miles, so I don't know what the times are. Make sure you STRETCH before and AFTER. This will prevent that "rock hardness" of your calves. That used to happen to me. It comes from not breathing regularly--inhibiting the Kreb's Cycle--, inadequate hydration, and not stretching. This rock hardness is actually a rush of water and lactic acid into your muscles from failing to do the above.

Workout: Walk quarter mile, run quarter mile. Alternate for two miles.

LEVEL THREE:
Walk quarter mile, run half mile. Alternate for two miles.

LEVEL FOUR: Walk quarter mile (warm-up), run 3/4 mile. Alternate for two miles. Walk quarter mile.

LEVEL FIVE: Walk quarter mile, run 1 mile. Walk quarter mile, run 1/2 mile. Walk 1/2 mile.

LEVEL SIX: Walk quarter mile, run 1.25 miles. Walk quarter mile, Run 1 mile. Walk quarter mile cool down.

LEVEL SEVEN: Walk quarter mile, run 1.5 miles. Walk quarter mile, Run 1.25 miles. Walk quarter mile cool down.

The levels go on and on until you can run three miles without having to stop to walk in between. Always stretch, warm-up, cool down, stretch. This will aid in flexibility, lessen cramp potential, and keep you from getting stiff or muscle soreness.

The secret to running is in the breathing. Most people pant through their workouts, cramp up, then they're done. The key? You must inhale slowly and exhale slowly when starting, as if you were sleeping deeply. To need to get oxygen circulating to avoid side stitches. Once you regulate your breathing, the rest of the body will pace itself. Start out breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth. Once your body heats up and adjusts, you will naturally feel the need to take bigger breaths of oxygen and you will start inhaling and exhaling through your mouth. Start out s-l-o-w to avoid injury and adjust your breathing. I like to use my warm-up quarter mile (sometimes I skip this due to time, but NEVER when 1st learning to run) to take deep breaths and long, fluid strides. That way when I start to run my breathing technique is halfway there. You don't want to be gulping and panting when beginning.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 07:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/189/165 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi everyone! Glad to hear there are some other beginning runners out there! Sorry I didn't get back right away - busy weekend. Anyway, today will be the end of week 3 for me on the C25K plan...5 minute warm up followed by run for 90 sec., walk for 90 sec., run for 3 min., walk for 3 min. - 2 times. Hope everyone has a great day and happy running
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 08:43

Hey Cin, great job on the end of week 3. I guess I'm on week 2. Today was run #4. I did 4 min walk, 1 min run, 3 min walk, 3 min run, 4 min walk, 4 min run, 3 min walk, 3 min run, 4 min walk, 1 min run...........it was an awesome run!!!!! It felt so good, I had to tack on an extra minute for each of the 3 middle sets.

My totals came to:

Walking - 18 minutes
Running - 12 minutes!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 13:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 252/159/125 Female 65in
BF:
Progress: 73%

thanks for the instructions I can't wait to try it!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 06:57

Thumbs up Week 2 Run #5

Well, I did my 5th run today. My right calf was a little tight and so I had to keep stretching it. Otherwise it was a really good run. Again, I have lots more energy today from the additional carbs I've begun incorporating and I feel really good.

Here was my run:

I did 4 min walk, 2 min run, 3 min walk, 3 min run, 4 min walk, 5 min run, 3 min walk, 3 min run, 4 min walk, 2 min run, 4 min walk.

My totals came to:

Walking - 22 minutes
Running - 15 minutes!!!!

My back is feeling a bit better. I stretched for a total of about 35 minutes today to ensure it would be ok. It seemed to have worked, 'cause it sure doesn't hurt right now.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 21:52

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Guess what I did today??? I ran around the school yard and the adjoining park. Not quite a mile but You should have seen me 3 years ago.

Then, my joints ( especially my kneese ) ached and made cracking sounds after five steps.I thought that I had arthritis. I was very aware that I was entering the door of peri-menopause but I hated feeling so "old". Not only did my knees ache my wrists were very weak and achy. Since beginning my low carb journey my achy joints seem to be healing. It is more than weightloss because my wrists were also painful and they are not weight bearing.My wrists don't hurt at all now.

Today, I was able to run ( Mary Style ) with no pain to my knees. I would not have been able to do this without my adequate fat/protein diet.. Last year my knee popped out of alignment and I was in intense pain. This happened at work so workmen's comp handled the medical procedures. I had xrays and my doc said that I had remarkable bone mass. He was expecting to find some form of bone degeneration but he was mistaken. I did not lose a moment of work time accept for the time I spent in the emergency room. Being able to run as I did today was elating.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 21:58

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Oh, another thing. I am planning to run in the annual citywide 5k run in November. It is called the Dino Dash and it is used to raise money for the school district.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 06:45

Black that is simply fantabulous!!!!!!!!!! Good for you. You can keep it up........we're rooting for ya!!!

C
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 06:46

Thumbs up Week 2 Run #6

Well, I did my 6th run today. My right calf was much better today, no tightening or pain. My back was also fine. I was a little short on time because Curtis went to work this morning.....but overall it went quite well.

Here was my run:

I did 4 min walk, 1 min run, 3 min walk, 3 min run, 4 min walk, 5 min run, 3 min walk, 2 min run, 4 min walk.

My totals came to:

Walking - 18 minutes
Running - 11 minutes

I lost 2.4 lbs today!!! The Meat & Egg fast is going well. No difficulties doing it except for forcing the breakfast......but it's worth it, so I'll live. My energy has not yet suffered, maybe because of the relacore which is supposed to help increase your energy....who knows.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 07:02
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

Can I join in? I have to say I have not been exercising except for my daily living which is pretty active. I am planning on lifting some weights with DH mainly for upper body strength as my job needs me to be strong. My abs and buns have little fat but are not too toned.

Any suggestions on starting? Also here in FL once the sun comes up it gets very warm quick so I will HAVE to run early morning before the sun comes up. This worries DH even though we live in a safe community.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 19:45
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

I am going to start tomorrow morning:
Walk four minutes, run one minute. Walk three minutes, run two minutes. Walk four minutes, run three minutes. Walk three minutes, run two minutes. Walk four minutes, run one minute. Walk three minutes.
Wish me luck. I MAY need it.