Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 09:59

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Just because people are not rich doesn't mean they are ignorant, they know very well that if they are diabetic they shouldn't be eating chips and cookies.

We're poor - on food stamps & get monthly food boxes. BUT - I know how to eat. Many diabetics don't because they get advice from "nutritionists" who advise eating whole grain bread, breakfast cereal, starchy vegetables, fruit, sugary desserts "in moderation," etc. Pisses me off no end when I see that advice from people who claim to be experts in diabetes management.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 10:12

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
We're poor - on food stamps & get monthly food boxes. BUT - I know how to eat. Many diabetics don't because they get advice from "nutritionists" who advise eating whole grain bread, breakfast cereal, starchy vegetables, fruit, sugary desserts "in moderation," etc. Pisses me off no end when I see that advice from people who claim to be experts in diabetes management.

Right and everybody gets that same advise, rich or poor.
  #123   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 11:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
In times of extreme stress, emotional stability has survival value. So keto may not protect us from corona virus but it just might help us survive the pandemic "crisis."

to this statement.
  #124   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 11:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I see people turning to a lot of cheap, storable, carbs. There's been runs on rice and flour. People stress-binging on junk food.

Since making keto cheesecake, I'm doing okay on the nutrition and the treats front!
  #125   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 11:42

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I see people turning to a lot of cheap, storable, carbs. There's been runs on rice and flour. People stress-binging on junk food.

Since making keto cheesecake, I'm doing okay on the nutrition and the treats front!

I haven't been doing much in the way of lc baking - too much other stuff to do - but I do make crepes with fruit every once in a while for dessert. So easy & yummy. I also stocked up on Killer Creamery ice cream when it was on sale - that stuff is SO good!

One thing we're doing that I don't have much time for when I'm working is taking a long walk. We've been walking a mile every day. I could probably do 2 miles, but I'd have to do the extra by myself. Which would be a good idea! Husband is doing good to do a mile. No more chest pains, tho he does have to stop to breathe several times - but just on the uphill part.
  #126   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 12:01

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:

I have 4 frozen cherries that I've been saving for the last week to have with some yogurt
  #127   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 12:53

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
I don't think that eating a LC/keto diet will necessarily protect us from coronavirus BUT one thing I have noticed in comparing the posts I see here to ones being made on FB:

People who post here seem, by and large, to be rolling with the punches and taking this crisis in stride. Everyone seems to paying attention to the news but no one is freaking out.
And for those of us following a keto diet to help manage our diabetes, among other things, especially during these COVID-19 days, this is what “conventional wisdom” is saying. Is it any reason I so rarely accept “conventional wisdoms”?:

Quote:
https://www.cityofhope.org/.../covid-19-and-diabetes...

A key part of managing diabetes is avoiding ketones in the blood, the chemicals that your body creates when it is forced to burn fat for energy, which happens when your cells are not getting the glucose they need. "This causes a chemical imbalance in your body that in itself is a very dangerous state," Kandeel said.

When your body is compromised with ketones... Kandeel said, "your risk of contracting the COVID-19 virus is increased, especially in type 1 diabetes patients." The ADA advises checking your urine and blood levels regularly to avoid ketone development, especially during this time of a pandemic virus.
They seem to be conflating normal ketosis with ketoacidosis.

PS. I'm definitely not taking this crisis in stride. I'm not a basket case but I'm relatively close. I'm totally convinced that I will die if I get the virus so I'm doing all I can to self-isolate.
  #128   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 14:35

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I'm finally getting to this thread. Good information and discussion and links. BTW, I'm one of the folks who finally caved to the relentless NYT bargain subscription offers. I want those links to work!

Our home life is pretty normal, although we miss our usual activities, of course. Cooking delicious LC soups and casseroles, and our usual grilled fish and meats, keeps us happy at the table. We arrange for grocery pick-up or delivery, in order to minimize or eliminate contact. We pretend we're not old people at risk. But we fit the age group at least.

As to immunity: last November, I had a long spell of respiratory illness. Three weeks or more of dry cough (at night), productive cough (the kind that makes your chest hurt!), extreme chest congestion. No fever. Finally got to the doc. She prescribed what sounds now like a very smart "cocktail" of medications: an immune-suppressant (corticosteroid?) injection to reduce mucus; anti-inflammatory pill; albuterol inhaler; cough suppressant; chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia. I don't think it was "the" virus. But it was seriously alarming for me at the time, as I'm the never-gets-sick type.

We are sticking to our house in a big way. Good to have online buddies!
  #129   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 17:41

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

bevangel, you have a point.

I'm self-isolating with the one person in the world I can't get enough with, my DW.

All my gigs have been canceled for 7 months (maybe more?) but we live below our means (imagine that) so we have a savings account, and other than minimal car payments, zero debt.

Although I didn't feel this way at first, I now feel lucky to be unemployed. I'm in my house with my best buddy, 24/7 isn't enough time to spend together, the windows are open, the sea breeze drifts through, the birds are singing, and we don't have to expose ourselves to possible carriers except once every couple of weeks for perishable groceries.

We're being careful when we go out, mask, bleach water, alcohol, so we don't contaminate our home. We even take off our outer clothes and hang them on the line for a couple of days before bringing them in (we have privacy in our back yard).

Now if I were a health-care worker, or any other person who has to deal with multiple people per day, I'd be more concerned -- and I feel these people should be getting hazardous duty pay. But I've minimized my odds of getting sick, and life with my sweety is good (even after +42 years).

Bob
  #130   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 20:28

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Merpig, you may think you're close to being a basket case but I don't consider doing all that one can to avoid getting this virus to be going overboard!

I too am doing all that I can to avoid bringing the virus into our home. I think I'm healthy enough that I would probably survive it...but I'm not nearly as sure that Hubby would. Since I want to keep him around for as long as possible, I'm being extremely careful. But being careful and doing things "right" isn't freaking out.

To me, freaking out is not being able to sleep at night due to worrying or writing a long winded rant using the F*bomb about 20 times because the personal shopper who brought your curbside pickup out to you stepped a bit closer to your open car window than you thought they should... "and the b**ch was even wearing a mask!" That's the kind of thing I'm seeing on my FB feed. You're cool as a cucumber in comparison!

Bob-a-rama, you've mentioned gigs a couple of times recently so I've definitely picked up that you're a musician. What instruments? And, any particular style of music you focus on?
  #131   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 23:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
They seem to be conflating normal ketosis with ketoacidosis.

Which so many outlets are happy to do, year after year, even though these are not the same things.

Like bevangel, I'm in better shape than my DH, and so I do certain errands, quarantining non-perishables, wearing a mask, taking a shower after and putting on new clothes, etc.

The news indicates more and more that, in the US, it is metabolic disorders which are the major co-morbid indicators for people who have serious complications from COVID-19. This goes for any age from 20+ and serves as a stark reminder of how difficult it is to maintain good health without nourishing food, at a carb level our bodies can handle.

We spend on certain supplements that help us with our respective conditions. We spend on the best food we can afford. I even go to the somewhat more expensive, larger, grocery store in the next town, since they are deserted when they open and they have everything we need, including precautions for their staff. That way I go to one store and come back, reducing my exposure further.

This is all fractions of what we would pay for being sick.
  #132   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-20, 08:07

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
<...snip...>

Bob-a-rama, you've mentioned gigs a couple of times recently so I've definitely picked up that you're a musician. What instruments? And, any particular style of music you focus on?

I'm a career musician. I play saxophone, wind synthesizer, flute, guitar, bass, drums, keyboard synthesizer and I sing. Sax/windsynth/guitar/vocals are what I do mostly on stage. I did play bass for a while when saxes were out of favor. It's a fun instrument too. Keyboard synth I wouldn't take a full time job but I'll gladly double a number of songs on, and I haven't the stamina to play drums all night, I'd have to go into training before accepting a drummer gig.

I've played just about every kind of music in my career. Classical (in school) jazz, rock, disco, blues, country, salsa, reggae, calypso, soca, ballroom-dance, punk, but never techno or rap. Techno isn't done best live (DJs do that) and I can't move my mouth fast enough for rap

I've been lucky enough to be an opening act for headliners with current top 10 hits, I've done cruise ships (not lately - thankfully), and everything from seedy dive bars to singles clubs, to restaurants, to conventions, to upscale show clubs.

Since 1985 the woman who is now my wife and I have been concentrating on the Yacht Club, Country Club and Retirement Development end of the business here in South Florida. It's a big, reliable market and the music is fun to play. She sings better than me (world-class) and plays guitar and synthesizer. When I met her she was in a different band and for me it was love at first site (we're celebrating our 43rd this month)

We do Baby-boomer songs mixed with some Caribbean (salsa, reggae, calypso soca), a few from The American Songbook (Big Band/Sinatra era), some country, and some contemporary songs that appeal to the older audiences. What we play depends on the gig (we have about 600 songs so far). First we look at the audience and how they are dressed. These are big clues to the type of music they are into. Then we start out with what we think would please them as well as a broader audience, watch their reactions and call song by song to try to pace the audience so they have the best experience.

I hope that's not TMI

Bob
  #133   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-20, 08:12

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
The news indicates more and more that, in the US, it is metabolic disorders which are the major co-morbid indicators for people who have serious complications from COVID-19. This goes for any age from 20+ and serves as a stark reminder of how difficult it is to maintain good health without nourishing food, at a carb level our bodies can handle.

We spend on certain supplements that help us with our respective conditions.
I think this is the key. Not ketosis per se, but the best nutrition and supplements to support our immune systems so that they can fight COVID-19 themselves. In those of us who have/had metabolic disorders, nutritional ketosis seems to work best.

When you look at photos of people in China, one thing you don't see is 2/3 of them being overweight or obese, as in North America. And they've been going to germy wet markets their whole lives. Maybe their immune systems are stronger than the average American's. In addition to eating junk food, most kids here don't play in the dirt anymore and live in Lysoled boxes.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Apr-11-20 at 08:20.
  #134   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-20, 11:04

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Posted by Dr Aseem Malhotra:

Quote:
Does low cholesterol lead to bad outcomes from Covid-19? Must read letter published in the BMJ by cholesterol researcher Uffe Ravnskov.

Covid-19: a remote assessment in primary care
BMJ 2020; 368 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m1182 (Published 25 March 2020)

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m1182/rr-10

#135   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-20, 11:14

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Excellent article, Demi. The following advice is likely considered heresy by many in the traditional medical establishment embracing the traditional diet-heart hypothesis:

Quote:
"As LDL-cholesterol is able to inactivate virus as well (6,7) patients on cholesterol-lowering treatment and with a life-threatening Covid-19-infection should cease this treatment; at least until they have recovered from the infection."