Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-20, 08:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Breaking news, review of a few new studies on Coronavirus and Vitamin D levels by Ivor Cummins: https://thefatemperor.com/ep73-vita...SGlCyxscZyMlg0M

Having Vit D over 30ng/ml is correlated with lower severity outcomes from infection.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 13:32

Another Covid update from Dr Kendrick, with a focus on Vit D. It begins with an old study on influenza, then refers to same new study, yet to be published that Ivor shows in his video podcast on Vit D levels and severity of infections. https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/...s-on-vitamin-d/
  #168   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 14:26

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

His sense of humor was appreciated.....again vit D is worth supplementing. He recommends 4000 units a day.
  #169   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 15:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Thanks for these Vit D studies, Janet . I've recently upped my daily Vit D3 from 2,000 to 5,000 per day (plus 120mcg K2). It's still cold and dreary here, so even long walks outdoors don't allow much sun exposure as we still need warm jackets and long pants.
  #170   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 16:04

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I've been taking 2000 daily of D3. Maybe I should double it.
  #171   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 19:05

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
I've been taking 2000 daily of D3. Maybe I should double it.
ditto that
  #172   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 19:47

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

That first graph looks like my yearly electricity usage in reverse.

I've been taking 4000 IU for a while now, & my husband takes 2000. I take it mostly for my seasonal depression (tho I take it year round). I never thought that it might be protecting me from colds & flu. Maybe it could be our magic potion against COVID-19. Who knows?
  #173   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 19:53

BF:

For what its worth, when I jumped to 10,000 units during the darkest 6 months, my SAD completely disappeared.....a vast difference from endless mild depression and fighting off listlessness to a bright outlook.

Vitamin D is a complicated vitamin....it affects a wide variety of cells/organs. How do we know the best dosage....might be each organ or disease requires a different dosing. .....makes me wonder why cancer is the highest dose....
  #174   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-20, 02:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
For what its worth, when I jumped to 10,000 units during the darkest 6 months, my SAD completely disappeared.....a vast difference from endless mild depression and fighting off listlessness to a bright outlook.

I routinely take high doses, and last winter I slacked off; and felt it negatively. Happy to go back to my usual 10,000 units daily. Taking K2 with it has eased any worries on that score.

One big thing I noticed is that I might get whatever bug going around the office/town the same way, but the experience of the illness changed profoundly. Everyone else might have horrible stomach or sinus symptoms, while for me, it was just being very tired. I could tell I was sick, but if I stayed in bed and let my body do what it needed, I wasn't suffering. Which is very much an improvement.

I don't know how low carb works with D, since I started both within a year of each other. But considering how little most people get sun, supplementing has got to be a large factor in health. Germany and Scandinavia were known for health club/nudist colonies, where good weather was maximized in nature settings. This is a geographic area where it was most needed, too.

Likewise, it's possible that people with darker skin could really benefit from supplementing, especially if they live in a northern city with fewer opportunities to get sun. There's been some interesting Vitamin D work done with Somali refugees relocating in a place like Minnesota. From a place with so much equatorial sun to a near-Arctic experience has to be recognized for their impact on health, I think. For anyone, but especially for people who evolved under one condition and had to move to another.*

Another consideration for me to take more, instead of less, is the constantly stated fact in the literature that our ability to synthesize it from sunlight decreases with age. Which fits my own anticipation that our Westernized/processed food/light-disordered modern life will turn out to be a recipe for a frail and miserable old age. In which case vitamin D is even more essential.

*On a personal note, family genes were analyzed by a relative from the side of the family I seem to favor most. Historic origins explains why my ten years in a tropical place were miserable, and my twenty years in an alpine climate so comfortable. We don't have to live in the place our ancestors evolved for, but I think we need to figure out what differences may be operating, and compensate for them as needed.
  #175   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-20, 07:25

BF:

Back to the main topic, I just ran across a new recognized symptom of COVID-19:

Quote:
Chilblains
Skin sores or bumps that occur after exposure to very cold temperatures.
Chilblains may be an abnormal blood vessel response. Women, underweight people, and those with Raynaud's phenomenon are at increased risk.
Common symptoms include itching, bumps, and red- to violet-colored patches on the hands or feet.
The skin usually clears up on its own within one to three weeks, though it may recur for years. Medications can help, and so can dressing appropriately for cold weather.
Rare
Fewer than 200,000 US cases per year

For those unaware:

Quote:
The diseases most often linked with Raynaud's are autoimmune or connective tissue diseases such as: Lupus (systemic lupus erythematous) Scleroderma. CREST syndrome (a form of scleroderma)

To me, this symptom sums up some conclusions from this discussion: immune system dysfunction, blood clotting disorders as seen in cardio-vascular disease, and overweight/diabetic issues: all from insulin resistance. And these all have connections as areas of vulnerability in COVID-19.
  #176   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-20, 11:21

While we are on Vitamin D and supplementation, I re-found The Great Vitamin D experiment thread for anyone new or who cannot find it (that would be me, every time I look for it!, hiding in buddy challenges). Started by D expert Zuliekaa and good Recent posts from Demi, it was a huge help for me back to learn about Vit D testing, sun exposure, supplements, etc. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...&page=115&pp=15. As a breast cancer survivor, My goal is over 60ng even though newer studies have questioned those guidelines, my oncologist supports it as long if not over 100. https://www.healthline.com/health-n...breast-cancer#1 there is plenty of sun in the summer, but even in the Carolinas, the sun is too weak in the winter. And older folks convert less, so I take 5,000 IU (1 Nature's Bounty oil/gel cap) in the winter. The Vit D test is still $59 at Direct Labs.

Those chilbains, aka Frost-bite toes, have been ascribed to a viral rash...but why the toes? Like everyone on this forum...I’m hoping our Keto immune system is protecting us from the ever wider range of weird Covid symptoms.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Apr-29-20 at 18:51.
  #177   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-20, 17:03

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Since Vitamin D is oil soluble, it's possible to take too much which will give you negative health results.

For those taking high doses, I suggest getting your blood tested and analyzed by a medical pro to see if you are taking enough to be toxic.

Bob
  #178   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 04:44

Yet another new video/podcast by Ivor Cummins on Vitamin D...this time with Latitude. https://youtu.be/ZwwTBF14Plc
  #179   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 06:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
For those taking high doses, I suggest getting your blood tested and analyzed by a medical pro to see if you are taking enough to be toxic.

Bob

Good idea, but my doctor brushed it off, and I don't have money lying around for that when there still isn't enough data to really say.

I tried dropping my D3 intake to "fit the guidelines" last winter and got sick. I upped my dose again and felt better, even beyond the flu-thing. Sooooo; I'm going by symptoms.
  #180   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-20, 07:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Those chilbains, aka Frost-bite toes, have been ascribed to a viral rash...but why the toes? Like everyone on this forum...I’m hoping our Keto immune system is protecting us from the ever wider range of weird Covid symptoms.

I cant help wondering if there is a connection: neuropathy typically in diabetics starts in the toes and feet, from what little I understand.

The food pantries are in more trouble than ever. Trying to stay keto is more diffucult than ever. Recipients are at the complete mercy of those handing out food: people that eat SAD, and beleive in the high carb government food program. Sure miss tge days when I pushed the shoppng cart myself and skip the go-gurts, margarine, and cereal.

And yet I keep hearing about the crops not getting to market because there is no immigrant labor to get the harvest in.

Trump is forcing the meatpackers back to work.....Im conflicted. Conflicted, yet my DH works 20 hrs a week restocking food at WM. The meat packers are just as important. And I also wonder if there will be an effort to get the crops to market.....

Unprecidented times.