Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 13:28

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks, Yoga. I've got about 90lbs of weights I can add to my barbell bringing the total to 101 lbs, of which 86 I was able to bench press on Saturday 6 times.... I think I'm going to have to buy some more weights. Having never done this before I was looking for some idea of what's considered 'average' or 'way above average'

Sunday's workout left me whimpering when I dried my hair and tried to hook up my bra this morning But I like the barbell, I feel like I've worked more, if that makes sense?

Still dealing with the insomnia?

Nat
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 14:11

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

86#!! Great! I know what you meanabout the bra and hair thing.

Yeah , continued insomnia. Saturday night, I slept 8 hrs. straight, but that's the only night worth %$!! in 2 1/2 weeks. I noticed it was after a yoga session, as most of the other more decent nights have been.

I tell ya, between a sore left hip and ankles, EXHAUSTION, and the holidays, I'm thinkin' seriously about whimping out and going back to my walks and yoga. (whine, whimper) Yoga, especially power type is hoisting your own body weight around, so it's no picnic, but I never hurt and always slept well , and felt calm and relaxed. If I were younger, I could say..... but then there's always Missydog plodding away at this......

It'll get better, I'm just tired .

YB
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 15:29

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

YogaBuff,

I heard my name mentioned in the distance. Missydog has been plodding very slowly these days. I don't lift anywhere near the weight you lift, and I mean that is WHEN I'm even lifting, which I won't be for at least another week. I think you might have just started out at too ambitious a level. Also, you remember the days when you were buff and get impatient to be there again. Don't give up, YogaBuff. On the other hand, allow yourself to recover with a little rest. Rest is very important when you're trying to increase your muscle mass. I'm lecturing a bit now, I know, but I hate to see you get discouraged just because you are perhaps a wee bit impatient. And don't compare yourself to a false notion of what I'm doing, because I'm taking the day off today!

Take care,
Missydog

Last edited by missydog : Mon, Dec-10-01 at 18:06.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 20:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by YogaBuff
It'll get better, I'm just tired .

Is it possible that you're overtraining? Doing too much too fast and not letting yourself rest enough? You may not be working out at your old standards but standards change with time, as do we. Maybe you'd benefit by taking a step back and approaching things again in a few days? A day or two off between yoga and cardio or cardio and lifting wouldnt hurt.

Nat
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 10:17

BF:
Progress:

Nat and Missydog, you are both right. (I don't ever consider advice on this forum to be lecturing--sometimes we just need to have an objective view of ourselves from someone else).

I took yesterday off and got some 'stuff' done. Holiday stuff and cleaning, cooking (always), and laundry/ironing. And the ever- present take the kid back and forth to driver's ed. Good thing about that is when it's all over, he can drive himself!! This is a good and a bad thing as any mom can attest.

Anyway, I HAVE started out at too much of an intensity and in too much of a hurry. Running at my weight is killing my hips and ankles. I don't allow enough time between weight sessions to rest. And as much as I hate to admit it, I think part of me is trying to make one final (nasty gesture) at advancing age.

I've backed off a bit, but not quit. I'll do a lighter rotation w/ more days off. With the holiday season approching, and some books and French study I'm tryin to do, that's needed anyway. Thanks!! to you voices of reason!

Today is a cardio day-- pooch and me are going to go to the fort and walk up and down the hills. He acts like that place is Disneyland.

YB
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 10:35

BF:

Good for you, Yogabuff! Feels good to get your perspective back, doesn't it. And as for advancing age, well, I've developed an almost limp in my left leg, for no apparent reason whatsoever. It's just there, so that I feel like I need a cane at times! Agggghhh! I can still do jogging workouts if I'm careful about what I'm doing, but I mean, WHY is this happening? I keep saying to myself that it will go away, but so far it hasn't. Oh well, there are other aerobic options besides jogging. Just got to roll with the punches, I guess. I haven't given up by a longshot.

Missydog
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 10:39

BF:

Yoga, we're all guilty of biting off more than we can chew from time to time. Being enthusiastic is never something you should appologize for. I'm glad to hear you've put yourself on a modified regimen; I was worried you may have been on the road to overtraining. Enjoy your walk!

Nat
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 18:46

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, Nat and Missy. I am enjoying better sleep, too! This has been a REALLY busy week, but I have managed to get in a workout or two. My husband and two teenaged sons were sick w/ flu and fevers for about 4 days ( imagine 3 sick men--no offense guys) and then 2 Christmas parties. Add holiday preparations and voila! Busy me. I figure my turn will be later this week, so I can be sick for Christmas. No, actually, I'm keeping a good attitude about it-- I going to MISS this virus. O rit is going to miss getting me.

Kind of doing the same cardio/ weights/ yoga rotation with a day off every 4 th day.

And, Missydog, I have always had a painful Lt. hip, so we can commiserate. The running was getting to be too much for it, too, so I'm back to walks up hills at the fort. Bear's ecstatic.

YB
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 11:41

BF:

YogaBuff,

Glad to hear you're surviving (and maybe even enjoying?) the holidays, in spite of a sick family. Just be glad they all aren't three years old anymore .

Actually I myself am also back to walking for the moment. Just have had too much physical pain and too little energy to do my planned 2-3 mile jogs. Eventually I'll get back to them, but I doubt that they'll ever become a consistent way of life. It will always be an on-and-off proposition. I can live with that.

Just remember that all the holiday insanity comes to a screaching halt in just a little more than a week. Then we can all start dealing with our post-holiday letdowns, LOL.

Missydog
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 07:39

BF:
Progress:

Missydog and all,

I think I will now FLOAT through the holidays on Cloud 10 (that's right 10, not 9). We have been semi-sweating it out around here waiting to hear from our son's "reach' college-- you know, the college that they want the most, but is tough to gain admission to, and you just aren't quite SURE they'll gain admission even if they're a good student ( and the light of mom's life of course)-- Well, he WAS admitted. We got the letter yesterday, soon to be framed, and we are all pinching ourselves around here. So are his grandparents.

He had been admitted to another college, his 'second best' school, but was waiting for the word from these 'guys'.

WooHoo!! It hasn't sunk in yet. It's great when you see your kids' dreams come true. Now, to go to the books and see how we're going to finance this thing!

YB
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 07:54

BF:
Default Congrats!

You must be beaming from ear to ear!! And a little sad at the same time? Or is the school close enough to home for visits?

Everyone healthy again? You must be living under a horseshoe if you didnt catch it - are you still taking the glutamine? It's supposed to do wonders for the immune system.

N

P.S. I just hads the most intense feeling of deja vue as I hit submit on this post. I have goosebumps. Very bizarre.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 08:18

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, Nat! Yes, all better- not 100%, but OK. Yes- glutamine, Locarb, exercise, trying NOT to stress through the holidays-- hope I'm not speaking too soon, but I've avoided it so far.

The school is about 3 1/2 hrs. away ( one state away). Freshman can't have cars, but he can get home holidays w/ us or a ride.

And yes I will miss him, but I guess it's the natural course of things. Like Gibran says, your children are not your children.....

YB
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 08:20

BF:
Progress:

........and, isn't deja-vu weird?? I can relate to the chills thing.

YB
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 08:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by YogaBuff
your children are not your children.....

"It changes"

Deja vue: have you seen "the Matrix"? I cannot escape the explanation from that movie about deja vue (long to explain if you haven't seen it, which is of course, why you should )

Nat
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 10:29

BF:

YogaBuff,

Congratulations on your son's acceptance letter! What a way to head into the holiday season. Bet there will be much celebrating at your house this year!

Missydog