Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-13, 00:22

Plan: Basic LCHF
Stats: 250/180/180 Male 68 inches
BF:38%/14%/14%
Progress: 100%

For potassium, checkout your grocery store spice/baking good section, look for "nusalt" or other salt substitutes. They are invariably potassium chloride.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-13, 08:43

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katfishy
Just curious, why is everyone mentioning salt alternatives? Is there something wrong with table salt?

Also, what do you guys do while exercising? Just drink salty water? Sounds icky but I'm willing to try it.

Good questions. I don't understand why some people are using potassium chloride when the goal is to get more sodium. Is it because we formerly ate too much processed food and were told to avoid sodium? I've been adding sea salt, sodium chloride (with assorted minerals) per Phinney and Volek's recommendation.

I just drink water after exercise, but make sure to get some salt at my next meal. If I really felt depleted, I guess I might drink broth.
  #153   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-13, 09:03

Plan: Basic LCHF
Stats: 250/180/180 Male 68 inches
BF:38%/14%/14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Good questions. I don't understand why some people are using potassium chloride when the goal is to get more sodium.

You need both, and lose both in any athletic activity. (lose other stuff too, btw). They don't work against each other, they work as a pair.

So I include both... Basically, things I salt (like eggs) I use KCl; and then favor salty foods like salted nuts, bacon. Seems to work ok. I kinda use my BP as a salt meter; if its around 120sys I'm good, when it goes high I might have overdone the salt, if it goes low when standing up I undershot.
  #154   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-13, 09:57

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

increasing Potassium sodium, magnesium and zinc has made my week long almost migraines go completely away..

V8 and the like help, but have a lot of, albeit natural, sugar.

Sea salt and zinc tablets work best
  #155   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-13, 16:33
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 221/207/170 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Potassium substitutes for salt are sought after because the sodium/potassium balance in our bodies are the basis for neuro transmission (which amongst other things activates muscle cells). If the balance between the two ions are thrown off, it can make neuro activity, especially muscular activity, either too easy to stimulate or too difficult. Think about people with electrolyte deficiencies- they get muscle cramps, or heart palpitations. The muscle cells are too easily stimulated because there is an excess of sodium compared to potassium. That is why people with muscle cramps will often eat a banana, to increase their potassium. On the other hand, if there is too much potassium, neuromuscular activity is more difficult to stimulate. Its a bit of a gruesome example, but lethal injections are oftentimes an injection of potassium. This excess potassium makes the heart muscle unable to be stimulated, it doesn't contract, and you can figure out the rest.

Now don't get too panicked. Sodium and potassium (along with magnesium and to a degree calcium) are regulated by your kidneys very carefully. That is why if you eat a few potatoes and get a bunch of potassium, you don't go into cardiac arrest. However, the people that do have to really be concerned are those with kidney failure. They have to watch what they eat so closely, because literally, too much of either electrolyte could be fatal.

Now, with that being said, electrolytes are still nothing to mess around with. Taking supplements, especially in high doses, should be done with your physician's direction, and no advice can be one-size-fits-all. A 20 year old in reasonable health probably won't have very many kidney issues. A 55 year old type 2 diabetic will be a different story. The moral of the story? Be careful, and ask your doctor before playing around with your electrolytes too much, ESPECIALLY if you have medical conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Good questions. I don't understand why some people are using potassium chloride when the goal is to get more sodium. Is it because we formerly ate too much processed food and were told to avoid sodium? I've been adding sea salt, sodium chloride (with assorted minerals) per Phinney and Volek's recommendation.

I just drink water after exercise, but make sure to get some salt at my next meal. If I really felt depleted, I guess I might drink broth.
  #156   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-13, 17:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

A high carb diet seems to make you retain more sodium. A low carb diet and you'll excrete a lot of sodium. If you don't have enough sodium your kidney's can't hang onto other minerals and you'll actually tear down muscle tissue to get the other minerals.

At least that is what P/V say in their book.
  #157   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-13, 18:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:

I do drink salty water. I do not like broth..... and a banana does not have enough potassium in it to do any good for cramps. You would have to eat a bushel full......
  #158   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-13, 09:54

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Like Nancy, I have the impression from P&V's Low Carb Performance that sodium (and perhaps magnesium) might have to be supplemented but that potassium will stay in balance if the other two are. Here are the bullet points from Chapter 9 Fluid and Mineral Balance, page 79.
  • Low carbohydrate diets increase the loss of sodium and water from the kidneys.

Failure to adequately replace sodium adversely affects potassium balance and has several negative effects (e.g. fatigue, fainting, headache, loss of lean mass).

The easiest solution is to consume an extra 1-2 grams of sodium per day in the form of 2 bouillon cubes or home made broth.

Most muscle cramps are due to magnesium depletion in cells.

Adequate magnesium intake helps prevent cramps.

A 20 day course of slow-release magnesium supplementation effectively treats most muscle cramps.

Dietary potassium and magnesium (as well as other micronutrients) can be increased by appropriate preparation of meats and vegetables.
They never mention potassium supplementation but they go on to point out that meats are an excellent source of potassium, noting that 4 oz of meat has as much potassium as a medium banana.

What I took away from P&V is that the attention to potassium supplementation may be mis-directed. For the most part if we take care of sodium, and make sure we get some potassium and magnesium in our food, we will keep electrolytes in balance.
  #159   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-13, 23:40
Registered Member

Stats: 253/210/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Such great info. everyone! Thanks!
I really like the pink Himalayan & totally enjoy the lime & lime salts on veggies! (Not even a beer drinker - but love the Twang)

Aradasky - thanks for the info. on the magnesium! Do you use a straight magnesium supplement or blend?
  #160   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-13, 23:42
Registered Member

Stats: 253/210/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Trying again. Lime & lemon salts! Also great on avocado!
  #161   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-13, 23:33

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/160/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi all
i was pointed to this thread and i am really excited about this.
i have been going thru induction and having fatigue, i also have had a lot of muscle twitching and some cramps so i do know its electrolyte related.

immediately i looked for my bullion cubes and found the chocolate salt in my cupboard which was a gift i havnt used. just dipping my finger in it was good ha!
i started thinking about salted caramels or salted chocolates , then i thought i want to make my own. well i couldnt find the recipe i wanted so i ended up on lemon truffles that was used in HCG plan.

i didnt have everything on hand so i made my own version and eyeballed the flavorings and stevia

1-2 tspns coconut butter
2 tspns coconut oil
vanilla
stevia
orange extract
chocolate salt

this is the perfect combination to satisfy a sweet/salty fatty craving.
ill make more of these and refrigerate to truffles perhaps.
when its melted and a little soupy, dip your bacon in it

its a sweet n salty heavenly treat!
  #162   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-13, 23:37

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/160/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 35%

a great site where the chocolate finishing salt came from

http://www.atthemeadow.com/shop/Gourmet-Sea-Salt
  #163   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-13, 08:12

Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:

OH MY GOSH!! Have to try this. Chocolate salt????
  #164   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-13, 11:56

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
I do drink salty water. I do not like broth..... and a banana does not have enough potassium in it to do any good for cramps. You would have to eat a bushel full......

Which just might explain why some preach thirty per day?
  #165   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-13, 14:31

Plan: Moderate Carb Paleo
Stats: 165/146/135 Female 5'4
BF:36%/30%/25%
Progress: 63%

What a life-saving thread. Thanks.