Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: low carb in general
Stats: 288/282/160 Female 5'7
BF:toooo much!!!!
Progress: 5%
Default veggies??? (induction question)

Okay.... in DANDR, he lists two categories of vegetables for the induction period- "salad vegetables" and "other vegetables". Have any of y'all eaten more in the "other" category than in the "salad" category? I MUCH prefer the "other vegetable" category!! Tomatoes!! Onions!! Spinach!! Broccoli!! I could go on and on!!

His,
MrsTU- who has MUCH to learn about induction!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:40
Fit and Happy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I tend to eat salad veggies the most. The others have a little more carbs than the salad veggies.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 18:07

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

In induction you should really only have 1 cup of the "other" veggies per day. Hang in there though and you can have more on down the road!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 19:58
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Yep! I tend to eat ONE cup salad...and TWO from the other list on my ongoing induction.

HOWEVER: I have NO tomatoes since I had too many one time and was kicked out of ketosis by them...and I very much limit myself to:
Spinach, broccoli, caulifower, zuchinni. These are great for fiber, especially spinach...and very good for you. MORE so then iceberg lettuce! LOL!

This has not effected my weight loss....and so long as carbs stay UNDER 20g a day...I just don't see the harm. Again...with tomatoes and peppers LIMITED (they are high on glycemic scale with natural sugars)...

Besides, I just DON"T see the sky opening up and Dr Atkins himself, pointing a finger at me and saying "DROP THE SPINACH, JAKE"!

Best wishes;
Veggie-Man

Last edited by mammoth : Mon, Jul-28-03 at 19:59.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 20:58
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It really depends on how much carbs you are eating overall. Without dairy I get very few carbs. I can eat 3 cups of the salad, plus 2 cups from the other catagory and have way low net carbs for the day. This is because of all the fiber. Basicaly the amounts set up for veggies, cheeses and so on ar eso you can follow the acceptable foods list and not really have to count carbs. As long as you stick to the limits he's set forth, you will be under 20g of carbs. Once you start playing with your menus you may find that you can include a ton more veggies and keep low to carbs. More veggies is the first thing you add back in OWL.

When I first started induction I thought of spinich as a salad green and would have a ton of that. I've since switched to prebagged spring mix. Rememebr the darker lettuces are more nutrient rich then iceburg.

Tomatos are not a veggie, they are a fruit. Be careful they can cause some people to go out of induction, they are ok in moderation though for most. Spinich and broccoli are so high fiber, eat away I like having 1/4 cup spinich with my eggs in the morning. Another trick is to shred a Zucchini into hash browns. Almost no cals or carbs. Cauliflower can also make a great fake rice or mashed potato. Experiment with veggies and get most of your carbs from there. They have more fiber and nutrients, plus lower cal, then most other carb sources.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 01:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 330/276/150 Female 5' 1/2
BF:WAY TOO MUCH!!!
Progress: 30%

What do ya'll think about cabbage(raw) as a salad? It has more roughage than lettuce does doesn't it? I'm thinking that way this week with my 'slaw' I'm eating. I've gotten really tired of my Iceburg lettuce,the only kind my hubby lets me buy.
Pat
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 01:21

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I really think it doesn't matter which veggies you get, as long as you count carbs. I think the guidelines are there to make it easier not to mess up, but with carb counters, calculators, Fitday, etc. I think you can eat a LOAD more than 2 cups of one, half dozen of the other.

Just my two cents. Most of the "other veggies" are very low carb and low glycemic as well. Salad you can almost count as free.

Anything's better than eating no veggies!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 01:44

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

When I started this WOE for the first couple of days I stuck to the 2 cups salad, one cup other veg, and I HATED it, I can't stand salad! So I made the decision that if I was going to stick to this plan I had to enjoy it and I started eating 3 cups of spinach, brocolli, cauliflower, zucchini and all those other 'good' veggies. If eating salad is going to make you miserable find some other veggies you can eat and still be around 20 carbs a day for and ENJOY!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 04:40

Stats: 10.5/10.4/9 Female 62 ins
BF:
Progress:

What is and where do I get Zucchini from in the UK (ie is it with the veg at Tesco's). Also does anyone use butternut squash or is that a no no. I can see I will get very fed up of turnips.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 04:45
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabslim
What is and where do I get Zucchini from in the UK (ie is it with the veg at Tesco's).

Baby Marrow! (Courgettes)
I _THINK_ butternut is OK (it's a squash) but I stand to be corrected here....

Enjoy
S
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 05:07

Stats: 10.5/10.4/9 Female 62 ins
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the reply Sinbad, at least I can go shopping - I love courgettes.