Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 15:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/169/145 Female 67
BF:
Progress:
Default Just want 2 say "HI" ya'll from Texas

undefined

I started atkins 13 days ago, so that leaves me 1 more day on induction. This is my first diet ever, as I had always maintained a sizy 6 frame. Now that I am 46 yrs. my body is doin' it's own thang . I looked for a smiley to put there but it's sooo not funny. I am a young 46 and people say I look like i'm late 20's early 30's. Well, I started at 180 ( which the last time I was there I was 9 months pregnant, 26 yrs ago ). today I am 169...(yea) and my goal is 145lbs. I'm scared to leave the induction. I realize that if I stall, I need someplace to fall back in to, but I don't know what to incorporate into the diet. A baked sweet potatoe? Some brown rice? Atkins will be a way of life for me and my husband,, he started last Sunday
Advice Anyone?
P/S This is a great site!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 16:47

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Review induction in your New Diet Revolution book. It will tell you how to slowly increase your carbs. Sweet potatoes and brown rice have too many carbs for OWL. You want to increase your carbs by 5 grams per week. This increase should be in the form of strawberries, blackberries, strawberries or nuts like macadamias. More folks will add on to this response.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 00:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 333.4/310.2/130 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi debbiedeb,

Atkins advises (as black57 has said), to increase your carbs by 5 grams per week, checking that you are still looseing weight (or maintaining if that is what you want).

He suggests you do this by first increasing your "Allowed" foods first....

More:- salad/other vegies
- more cheese
- Seeds & nuts
- Berries
- Wine and other spirits low in carbs (if you drink alcohol)
- Legumes
- Other fruits
- Starch Vegies
- Whole grains

and the Low Carb convenience foods/bars/shakes etc.

Everyone`s acceptable carb level will differ, between about 15 to 90 carbs per day. Trick is to "slowly" find your level.

Keep us informed of your progress
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 11:04
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Welcome debbie!

I'd agree with the advice above. If you need to track your carbs you can use www.fitday.com . By inputting your regular food consumption you can see how your carb are increasing as you move out of induction.

Good luck,
Kiks
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 14:37

Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%
Default HI - Just Found Ya

I have been doing Atkins for 2.5 years and love it. I had never dieted before, but during my 40's . . well you know what happens. Anyway I've lost and kept off 20 - 25 pounds. I am being very restrictive this month, as I never let the weight get more than 2-4 lbs over. It has become a way of life for me - but still love pizza . . BAD. Anyway, glad I found you.
LowCarber4Life
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 09:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/169/145 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

Thanks everybody for such a quick reply and all the support.
I would really like to add some wine or some kinda spirit to my diet as I was an everyday 1-2 glasses of margarita.
Could someone tell me how alcohol and atkins mix. I know that alcohol will burn before fat does but will that throw me out of ketosis?
Is anyone having a problem with appetite. I am so bored with the food that I really don't have one, and I don't feel hungry. I read that I will throw my body into starvation mode and that I'm supposed to eat 10 - 12'xs my body weight in calories !
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 08:41
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Alcohol can effect your body's reaction to Atkins and may slow your weight loss... but if you are going to drink it is best to drink hard alcohol. Some of them do have hidden carbs so be careful!

If you're bored with your menu take a look at the recipe area on this board. There are lots of good ideas that might be able to help you "spice" up your food. It shouldn't have to be boring!

Kiks
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-18, 07:28

Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%
Default Found You All Again! Glad You're Still Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCer4Life
I have been doing Atkins for 2.5 years and love it. I had never dieted before, but during my 40's . . well you know what happens. Anyway I've lost and kept off 20 - 25 pounds. I am being very restrictive this month, as I never let the weight get more than 2-4 lbs over. It has become a way of life for me - but still love pizza . . BAD. Anyway, glad I found you.
LowCarber4Life

Well, as time has moved on, my weight has moved too. I am now 65 and continuing to be healthy is a priority. Eating correctly without all the 'bad' food is important. I'm glad you are still here and that I found you. I'm limiting myself to 20g per day. Sometimes over, but 20 is my limit. I'm doing well. Thanks for being here. Enjoying reading the success stories.