Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 00:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 7 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Which of Suzanne's books should I read first?

I was wondering which of Suzanne's books should I buy & read first? Can you tell me the difference between her three 'Somersizing' books? Thanks!

Christy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 16:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Somersizing
Stats: 194/184/160
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have all three and if you are considering only one go for the latest..."Eat, Cheat, Melt". All the books explain the reason behind the program but the latest is the most updated. All the books have a bunch of recipes so they are all worth collecting for that reason. This program really works. I did it religiously for 2 yrs and turned many of my friends and family onto it and they are all doing excellent!! I was the idiot that relapsed into old behavior...but I'm back to stay!!

Sunshine Smiles!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 17:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 7 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Thank you so much for replying. I gave in and bought the latest book of Suzanne Somers a few days ago. I have been reading it and agree with a lot of what she says... So far, I have read Dr. Atkin's Book, and then this one. I am thinking about reading that The Swarzenbein (sp?) Prinpicle since she's an endocrinologist & helped Suzanne Somers with information in her book. I cannot wait to get that as well... Have you read that? I am mostly interested in the hormonal imbalance as I feel that totally aids in my weight gain. My insulin levels are off... I'm insulin-resistant!

Anyway, I wanted to stop by and say thank you!

Christy
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 17:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 277/248/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

BC Babe, from one who fell off to another, good for you for being back!! We can do it again!

I haven't read her books,but I hear many people say they are great, and I could use some new cooking ideas, I think I will give them a try.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 18:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Somersizing
Stats: 194/184/160
BF:
Progress: 29%

I found that when I was a newbie to this WOE the Somersize approach allowed me to experience the benefits without the stress of counting everything. It is a lot easier to have a "yes" and "no" list of foods for a lot of people when they first start off. I would have a fruit smoothie most morns when I started ( I think I was weaning myself off processed sugar without knowing it) but when I switched to the pro/fat option for breakfast I stopped having the fruit 'cause it was too long to wait!! I was getting awful gas from my shredded wheat/skim milk in the morn so I cut that out and it stopped immediately. ( I am type O blood and according to "Eat Right For Your Type" grains wreck havoc with my system) I also found that when my choices were mostly pro/fats, I lost quicker. I realized that I was pretty much doing Atkins (sans nuts, avocado, and combining). I think with Suzanne's plan it allows for the inclusion of whole grains, fruits, etc. from the beginning so the weight loss (if you chose the option) it a little slower for some than Atkins. His plan just lets you include them at a later time depending on how your body is metabolizing the carbs for ongoing weight-loss. I think for the "thinking" person the Atkins carb counting is a good way to figure your max carb load but ,for the rest, the Somersizing approach works quite well.

SS!!