Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 19:28

Plan: Keto/Low Carb
Stats: 309.4/301.6/249.4 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default This is why I love low carb...

After 6 days of low carb eating AF has decided to show up on her own. I do not have a regular cycle and was on CD62.

My body hasn't had a "period" without Provera since around March 2011. WOW!

Low carb is AWESOME!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 19:34

Plan: VLC, Paleo
Stats: 243/228.4/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 14%

that is awesome

...I have PCOS and have gone as long as several months, almost 1 year at one point...2 weeks into the LC plan, she visited!

your body is starting heal, metabolically - - > good for you!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 20:40

BF:

I know right? Very awesome! I find it so amazing that I'm seeing a change in my body so quickly. It makes me want to do this just that much more!

The longest I've went without AF is about 6 or 7 months. So, AF showing up without needing medicinal intervention is HUGE! Especially since my Hubby and I have been TTC for nearly 9 years now. I really have hope that LC will help heal my body!

Oooh, and I see you're in Michigan. Hello there, neighbor!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 20:44

Plan: VLC, Paleo
Stats: 243/228.4/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 14%

hoping and praying the best for you and your body and family planning...yay!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-12, 19:10

BF:

Alright! I'm back with an update...

(Pulled from my Journal )

I started spotting on Tuesday (CD29) and had nothing else until Friday (CD32).
Yesterday morning I woke up cramping...a couple hours after that, AF was here.

AF is here. On her own again. Without Provera.
I had a 32 day cycle.
I don't think I have EVER, EVER in my whole life had a natural 32 day cycle.

This probably seems trivial to most (those who have never had any issues), but it's a HUGE deal for me.
I have never been regular in my whole entire life. Even as a teenager.
My Husband and I have been TTC for almost 9 years without any luck at all.
We've tried natural supplements. Didn't work.
Went to the Dr and did fertility treatments. Didn't work.
I start eating a LC diet and my body has reacted very positively.

Having a 32 day cycle meant I OVULATED. Holy crap!
I don't ovulate. Fertility medication couldn't even make me ovulate.
Low carb? Yup, it made me ovulate.

And, then I freaked out because "OMG! I OVULATED!"
This means that I could actually, maybe, probably, in all likelihood get pregnant if my body starts to regulate itself.
All these years I've been going about it the wrong way.
Low carb is AMAZING!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-12, 01:28

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I'm so happy for you!! I have several friends who have tried for years and so I've witnessed their pain. One friend's fertility issue was due to thyroid problems and the other was due to PCOS.

Before I had my first child, I was told by a midwife, during my annual exam, that my blood work looked as though I might have PCOS and she told me I needed to lose weight and start trying to conceive as soon as possible. I was only 24 at the time and it really scared me. I began low carbing and went off of the pill immediately. Within one month, I was pregnant! We weren't even ready at that time because my husband was still in his graduate program. My midwife was so shocked but said that the low carb lifestyle has helped many women conceive when other measures have failed. I hope this is true in your case as well. Best wishes!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-12, 02:47

Plan: General
Stats: 184/176/150 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 24%

You sound so happy, brilliant news. Keep it up and you never know...!!

What better incentive to loose weight than making a baby and the more weight you loose the more you'll be able to play with your child.

Keep going!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-12, 07:54
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Have you tried metformin? My PCOS was so severe, that even low carb wasn't totally effective for regular cycles, but metformin gives me 28 day cycles - and ovulation - I know 'cause I get ovulation pain.

Lee
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-12, 14:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME
I'm so happy for you!! I have several friends who have tried for years and so I've witnessed their pain. One friend's fertility issue was due to thyroid problems and the other was due to PCOS.

Before I had my first child, I was told by a midwife, during my annual exam, that my blood work looked as though I might have PCOS and she told me I needed to lose weight and start trying to conceive as soon as possible. I was only 24 at the time and it really scared me. I began low carbing and went off of the pill immediately. Within one month, I was pregnant! We weren't even ready at that time because my husband was still in his graduate program. My midwife was so shocked but said that the low carb lifestyle has helped many women conceive when other measures have failed. I hope this is true in your case as well. Best wishes!

Thank-you!!! As for thyroid, I have an underactive thyroid, but it is medicated and monitored by my Dr.

And, congrats to you on getting pregnant so quickly after starting LC! That is amazing! I'm turning 29 tomorrow and my biological clock is ringing so loudly in my ear...so with all the positive changes in my body that are taking place, I can't help but be just a little more hopeful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimum My
You sound so happy, brilliant news. Keep it up and you never know...!!

What better incentive to loose weight than making a baby and the more weight you loose the more you'll be able to play with your child.

Keep going!

Thanks! I am *very* happy! Losing weight to get pregnant is a GREAT incentive and being able to be more active with them in the long run is a HUGE added bonus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Have you tried metformin? My PCOS was so severe, that even low carb wasn't totally effective for regular cycles, but metformin gives me 28 day cycles - and ovulation - I know 'cause I get ovulation pain.

Lee

Ahhh, the good old Metformin. *sarcasm*
I am currently on Metformin, 1000mg/day. For awhile I was really bad at taking it because it makes me feel really sick and has awful side effects (as you probably know!). But, since starting LC I am making myself take it everyday and I must say that I'm not really having too many issues with it making me sick.

Maybe a combination of LC and Metformin have made my body respond the way it has. On Metformin alone I never had any change in my periods. Whatever is going on, I like it, haha. I'm glad that Metformin has helped you to regain your cycle. I am hoping that it stays this way for me!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-12, 16:12
NEVER GIVING UP!

With metformin, if you get given the wrong type it can be pretty brutal. I was on the standard to start with, then switched to the slow release which was way better - 2000mg worked for me, 1000mg wasn't enough. Though it's one of those things you have to take consistently to get a good effect from.

Different things work for different people - it worked for me, but I can understand you being sarcastic about it if it was lauded and then hasn't seemed to work for you. If you're not on slow release, get your prescription changed, and if you don't have side effects, consider doubling the dose.

Sadly even if you have a 32 day cycle, it doesn't mean you've ovulated - maybe you could get some ultrasound scans one cycle to see if you are ovulating - it might need, say, metformin, low carb and clomid to get reliable ovulation.

Lee
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-12, 16:25

Plan: sort ofatkins
Stats: 205/144/140 Female 5;6
BF:
Progress: 94%

I had pcos from age 16 to 25,i could count the number of times i had a period within that time on my hands..was told i would prob not concieve and it could take a lifetime of trying,had scans etc,,nothing worked..I lost weight about 20lbs at the time by cutting out breads and strach(never knew about lc then)and well then i fell pregnant,,it then clearded my cysts,they all went and i had alot..then went on to have 3 more children,lol...went from being totally infertile to being extrememly,lol..now after eating lc i have completely regular periods,,what you eat matters....................for absolute certainty..i hope you continue to have regular periods and the patter of tiny feet will come along,,good news..
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-12, 18:52

BF:

Quote:
Sadly even if you have a 32 day cycle, it doesn't mean you've ovulated - maybe you could get some ultrasound scans one cycle to see if you are ovulating - it might need, say, metformin, low carb and clomid to get reliable ovulation.

Yes, I know this. I was not charting temperature or using OPK's this month, but I'm pretty certain that I ovulated. Cramping CD 15, 16 & 17 with EWCM all three days. I also had very sore breasts. Then, 15 days after the last day of cramping and cm, I started my period.

As for clomid, it has never worked for me. DX Dr said onto Femara, but it's quite expensive, so I'd like to continue to lose weight and try that for awhile. We just finished 5 round of clomid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramaya
I had pcos from age 16 to 25,i could count the number of times i had a period within that time on my hands..was told i would prob not concieve and it could take a lifetime of trying,had scans etc,,nothing worked..I lost weight about 20lbs at the time by cutting out breads and strach(never knew about lc then)and well then i fell pregnant,,it then clearded my cysts,they all went and i had alot..then went on to have 3 more children,lol...went from being totally infertile to being extrememly,lol..now after eating lc i have completely regular periods,,what you eat matters....................for absolute certainty..i hope you continue to have regular periods and the patter of tiny feet will come along,,good news..

THIS! ^^
I have heard that sometimes after a woman with PCOS gets pregnant it can push her body into check and she won't have trouble after. I am hoping that's what I can get my body to do. Congrats on your babies!

Last edited by Emzi06 : Mon, Oct-29-12 at 19:07.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-12, 19:39
NEVER GIVING UP!

5 rounds of clomid, wow, that's harsh. Clomid made me crazy.

Good luck, anyway.

Lee
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-12, 07:26

BF:

Quote:
5 rounds of clomid, wow, that's harsh. Clomid made me crazy.

Good luck, anyway.

Lee

Yeah, it made me crazy too, lol. My poor Hubby!!! Hehe
After 5 rounds and no progress that is why I want to focus on LC and losing some weight since it has already made a difference.

Thank-you
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-12, 08:22
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emzi06
Yeah, it made me crazy too, lol. My poor Hubby!!! Hehe
After 5 rounds and no progress that is why I want to focus on LC and losing some weight since it has already made a difference.

Thank-you

We did three rounds, and the U/S showed ovulation, so at that point the doc decided to do a HSG scan, found that my tubes were completely blocked off. IVF and adoption were not available, so we've come to terms with no kids.

I'm sure you'll have a much better outcome .

Lee