Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 20:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 292/210/150
BF:
Progress:
Question cravings

i've quit and started smoking so many times i can't keep track.now i'm finding kicking carbs to be just as difficult.any tips on how to cut out both?can i do both at the same time ?should i quit one before the other?
i seem to go off the carb cliff as soon as stress levels get to be to much.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 08:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/183/150
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default I feel for you

I'm doing the same thing right now.

I want both-weight loss, and to be smoke free
but I am unsure whether or not i should be doing both

It's like trying to juggle and skip at the same time

I've been trying to keep busy-alot of work needs to be done around the house

doing dishes are great-can't smoke or eat with wet soapy hands ; )

picked up a book on Pilates-figured the effort and concentration required would keep my thoughts focused

oh-and Coffee
lots of cccoffee-
won't give that up

juggling, skipping and hula hooping-I'd spontaneously combust
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 08:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/160/125
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default I quit a year ago

Hi.
I understand your frustration. I've quit smoking Aug 18th 1 year ago. I'm no authority but I've been there.

Yes, I tried to quit both smoking and lose weight at the same time. I actually tried to quit drinking alcohol too at the same time. It didn't work for me. Its really hard to do both at the same time and you may be setting yourself up to fail.

My recommendation is quit smoking first, get that under control then try to lose weight. Thats what I'm doing now. I did gain 40 pounds since I quit smoking. But I QUIT SMOKING - that was the most important!!!!!! You will probably gain weight when you quit smoking even if you diet because your metobolism will change. (I know, you really didn't want to hear that!) So quit smoking first, then once you are over the cravings and have the cigs under control and your metobolism settles down then lose the weight.

Check out the site - quitnet.com. Its a wonderful, wonderful site to help with your quit. I met many many great friends on the quitnet.com site. If it wasn't for that site and the wonderful support I received there I don't think I could have survived my quit! Sites like that one and this site really do help when you are strugging with changing habits that you've had for a long time.
I couldn't have done it without that site.

And Keep The Quit (KTQ) even when you start gaining weight. When I gained the weight I almost starting smoking again but as they said at the Q (Quitnet forum) I would just become a fat smoker instead of just fat so no cigs for me and now no carbs!!!!!!!

My stats:
Smoke-Free: 357 days
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 17872
Lifetime Saved: 4 months, 16 days, 12 hours
Money Saved: $2,677.50

Best of luck for both of you!
Malibu
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 12:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

I did quit smoking and started low carbing about the same time. I also began to exercise, and I think that helped a lot with the stress and made it easier to quit. And, I think that stopping eating carbs at the same time I quit smoking might have helped me several ways. The lower carbs seemed to help with the cravings for cigarrettes, I did not gain weight so I did not have that excuse to start smoking again, I drank LOTS of water instead of smoking which helped with the weight loss and also helped flush the nicotine out of my body much faster.

Good luck with both becoming a non-smoker and with your weight loss.

Peg
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 08:49

Plan: my own plan
Stats: 235/138/130
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default quitting

for me, quitting carbs was so much easier than smoking....

"oh woe is me, I want cake! Oh well, I'll have this piece of steak instead!"

"oh woe is me, I want a cigarette, um....um...that's it...there's no replacement for it and those straws didn't do it for me.

So now, im still low carbing and smoking. I'm going to try to quit again this spring.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 06:29

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 206/200/119
BF:
Progress: 7%

I also agree with Peg, that the LC has helped with the cravings for cigarettes. Ialso drink lots of water. I think they both can be accomplished at the same time. I feel that you are giving your body such a treat by not smoking and eating low carb. Good luck to you!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 18:15
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%

I quit smoking while on Atkins. I avoided snacking by having a glass of water every time I had a craving. I lost 8 pounds since I quit 3 month ago...it is very doable

I am a non-smoker for: 3 Months 1 Week 5 Hours 17 Minutes 33 Seconds
Cigarettes not smoked: 1263
Money saved: C$458.15
Life saved: 1 Wk 1 Day 18 Hrs 38 Mins 40 Secs

good luck to you