Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-14, 23:45

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm glad this thread got ressurected - wish I had read it earlier!

I have long-time "habit" of low fat - I even learned to like skim milk and low-fat cottage cheese.

So my taste buds just haven't adjusted - I really don't like greasy food - tho a good fatty steak is delicious! And I do like butter. A while back I started taking a big spoonful of coconut oil with my morning coffee and found out I do like cream - but it wasn't enough. I've been losing very slowly. So now I'm upping my coconut oil to 3 or 4 times a day. It's easier for me to just swallow a spoonful of oil at a time rather than try to fatten up my meals.

Last edited by Bonnie OFS : Sat, Jan-18-14 at 23:46. Reason: type
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-14, 12:05

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I'm glad this thread got ressurected - wish I had read it earlier!

I have long-time "habit" of low fat - I even learned to like skim milk and low-fat cottage cheese.

So my taste buds just haven't adjusted - I really don't like greasy food - tho a good fatty steak is delicious! And I do like butter. A while back I started taking a big spoonful of coconut oil with my morning coffee and found out I do like cream - but it wasn't enough. I've been losing very slowly. So now I'm upping my coconut oil to 3 or 4 times a day. It's easier for me to just swallow a spoonful of oil at a time rather than try to fatten up my meals.

Well, maybe some fatty foods are going to have to be a future "acquired taste" for you. If you wanted, you could pick an item and just try it every few days. I'll do that, like, deliberately try to acquire the taste for certain items. That's what currently has me addicted to intact oil-packed sardines, and black olives. (pitted black olives, and then I use a makeshift icing piping bag and stuff them with cream cheese) I never liked them before.
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-14, 13:02

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Oooh - Olives stuffed with cream cheese!!

Just remembered I have an unopened jar of giant pitted olives left over from Christmas. No cream cheese at present but am going shopping tomorrow.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 08:27

Plan: Low carb.
Stats: 190/183/146 Female 63.5
BF:
Progress: 16%

Can you help an oldie please? I am 81 and 56lbs overweight I'm prescribed med's to lower my blood pressure but refused to take Statins. I have arthritic knees and hips which I'm sure will improve if I can lose some blubber. I lost about 22lbs on Atkins several years ago but I'm afraid I've lost faith since Dr Atkins died. I still use skimmed milk but intend to switch to double cream. I have noted the very high fat content recommended in this thread. Coconut oil is very expensive here in the UK but I love butter and wondered about cooking in lard which is very cheap here. I'd love some advice please.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 10:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbird
Can you help an oldie please? I am 81 and 56lbs overweight I'm prescribed med's to lower my blood pressure but refused to take Statins. I have arthritic knees and hips which I'm sure will improve if I can lose some blubber. I lost about 22lbs on Atkins several years ago but I'm afraid I've lost faith since Dr Atkins died. I still use skimmed milk but intend to switch to double cream. I have noted the very high fat content recommended in this thread. Coconut oil is very expensive here in the UK but I love butter and wondered about cooking in lard which is very cheap here. I'd love some advice please.

Dear Oldbird, I commend you for wanting to help yourself feel better now. We never should stop learning.

Dr Atkins, one of my LC heroes, died because he slipped on some ice, hit his head and went into a coma. Then his heart stopped. Why should that make you afraind of his way of eating? Why should a fall on ice make anyone afraid of FAT?

Use lard and grass fed butter. Use the good fats that you can afford. Use Olive oil on your salads. Eat full fat yogurt and cheeses.

I went off all grains and my arthritis was dramatically reduced. Now, I find that Wheat causes pain in my joints. Fat has replaced most of my carbs and all of my wheat.

I hope you find a way to add fat into your day, you will be rewarded.
However, remember, FAT+CARBS=pounds. You must reduce your carbs.
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 12:22

BF:

Hello Aradasky, many thanks for your encouragement.

I'm so sorry I put my views on the Atkins diet so badly. I loved Dr Atkins diet 100% but since he died I feel that those now running the Atkins diet have turned it away from his wonderful original vision. I have his 1972 book which is almost unrecognisable from the most recent publications. That's why I now distrust them.

Without going fully '72 Atkins, I will avoid grains, stay low carb and increase my fat intake. My most recent meal was eggs scrambled with butter and cream and smoked Scottish salmon.
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 14:56

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbird
Hello Aradasky, many thanks for your encouragement.

I'm so sorry I put my views on the Atkins diet so badly. I loved Dr Atkins diet 100% but since he died I feel that those now running the Atkins diet have turned it away from his wonderful original vision. I have his 1972 book which is almost unrecognisable from the most recent publications. That's why I now distrust them.

Without going fully '72 Atkins, I will avoid grains, stay low carb and increase my fat intake. My most recent meal was eggs scrambled with butter and cream and smoked Scottish salmon.

Well as long as you keep in mind that Dr. Atkins and "Atkins Nutritionals" are two completely separate entities, there shouldn't be any confusion or distrust. The good doctor's advise is just as sound as it was before his unfortunate fall. He spent his life helping people. I don't think anybody can say the same about the Roark Capital Group.

I have to say, I think he did it right. Live a healthy and active life, stand up for what you believe in, help others and then one day, BAM, check out for good. No lingering illness, no fear, and a good life left behind you.
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 15:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
Well as long as you keep in mind that Dr. Atkins and "Atkins Nutritionals" are two completely separate entities, there shouldn't be any confusion or distrust. The good doctor's advise is just as sound as it was before his unfortunate fall. He spent his life helping people. I don't think any body can say the same about the Roark Capital Group. I totally agree.

I have to say, I think he did it right. Live a healthy and active life, stand up for what you believe in, help others and then one day, BAM, check out for good. No lingering illness, no fear, and a good life left behind you.

Hear hear!!
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-14, 09:07

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
Eat full fat yogurt and cheeses.

This is good advice - except when it isn't.

Being diabetic, the yogurt is too high in carbs for me. And the cheese - oh how I love it. But it doesn't love me. Once I start on it, it's hard to stop. And then later the headache, muscle aches, and joint pain kick in. The pain usually quits after 24 - 48 hours, but I'm miserable until it does. It took me a while to figure out that it was the cheese that caused the problem. And you'd think I wouldn't touch cheese now, right? Wrong.

Addictive behavior stinks. At least I succumb less often than I used to.
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 02:46

BF:

Wow Bonnie OFS, you have my sympathy, I love cheese too I'm only afraid I will overeat it. Full fat yoghurt is fine but I much prefer to eat something I can chew, I feel much more satisfied.
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 03:38
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

There is cheaper coconut oil available in the UK - it's flavourless so great for cooking:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/prod...s/?id=256412443
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 03:44

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
There is cheaper coconut oil available in the UK - it's flavourless so great for cooking:

And at a great price too!! Thanks for the headsup, Lee
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 05:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack

Wonderful, thank you! It's on my order list.
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-15, 12:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/154/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

So I have been reading the posts on here about increasing my fat intake which I have done. I have added avacado, mayo, olive oil and butter to the meats or salads that I have been eating and I really haven't lost any eight. I did Atkins about two years ago and lost 30 pounds. The weight came off fairly easy but this time it isn't working. Any advice? I feel really frustrated.
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-15, 11:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchkimmy
So I have been reading the posts on here about increasing my fat intake which I have done. I have added avacado, mayo, olive oil and butter to the meats or salads that I have been eating and I really haven't lost any eight. I did Atkins about two years ago and lost 30 pounds. The weight came off fairly easy but this time it isn't working. Any advice? I feel really frustrated.

I have been losing slowly (one to two pounds/week) since I went to 40 gms carbs/day. BUT was dealing with hunger and cravings. Before that, I lost 20 lbs in a year, and then gained back 12, on zero grains, but gradually increasing carbs d/t cravings.

I knew I wanted to keep having my Herbalife shake for breakfast, as I've been having them for over 12 years, daily. So, I added a couple ounces of heavy cream to them, and voila! Not hungry at all till lunch.

The two biggest things I've learned in the past 6 weeks are these: MORE FAT and MORE CALORIES.

My baseline, at which I can maintain, but not lose, is about 1500 cals and about 100 gms carbs. Up the calories to about 1700 0r 1800, and up the fat to greater than 50% of them and I lose.

Too low, and your body thinks you're starving it, and metabolism slows. Interestingly, too many carbs, and the same thing, because the insulin causes the fat cells to store everything for future use. But low carbs means that the fat cells get emptied, and the fat itself broken down to make the glucose that you need (a surprisingly little amount.)