Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-10, 14:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Lantus & novolog

Hi All!

I am T2. Last week when I was at the dr.'s I asked her to renew my meds. I take lantus in the pm (38 units) and my other meds, actos 45mg. & 2000 total during the day. I told her this is not working! The lantus works well (AM readings 80-100) which is great! I keep my carbs usually 25-35 carbs a day. but during the day my readings are between 125-250! Yesterday I had a 1/2 of strawberries and my before reading was 112 and an hour and a half later it was 258! I cannot get my h1c below 8! I am tired of this! She asked me if I would like to try novolog before meals along with the Lantus at night. No pills!! I am willing to give it a try! She told me to start with 10 units and that was it!! I came home and figured it out on my own with the help of the internet. Lantus at night and the Novolog 5-10 minutes before I eat. 1 unit for every 5-7 carbs. I will have to test more and change the units to suit my body. Whish me luck please! Any advice will be welcome!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-10, 10:24

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Thumbs up Novolog

Lantus,a basal insulin,slowly releases insulin over 24 hours so
it does not respond to mealtime carb challenges very well but,
taken at bedtime,it controls nightime BG and the dawn BG effect
real well.I used Novolog injections before meals for about
a year(about 1 unit per 8G carbs for me).You might also
consider 5000 IU of D3 a day-lots of evidence that this decreases insulin resistance.
Good luck
Eddie

Last edited by eddiemcm : Sat, Oct-02-10 at 10:26. Reason: Glitzak** after my signature
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-10, 06:10

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Woah! Dude! You have GOT to get Dr. Bernstein's book "Complete Guide to Normalizing Blood Sugars!" Stop with the strawberries! You might as well be eating pure sugar.

Lantus is super as a basal insulin (background insulin...the insulin you would need anyway even if you didn't eat a thing for 24 hrs) and you may very well need a fast-acting bolus insulin (the insulin you take to respond to a meal). The lower carbs you eat, the less insulin you need. Many T2 diabetics do not need insulin at all when they follow a LC diet (but don't let that be your goal...normalizing your blood sugars is your goal, and if you need insulin to do it, then that is FINE!)

You will see the results you want. Dr. Bernstein should win a Nobel Prize for his work.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 06:25
Registered Member

BF:

Hello!

Thank you both for you advice! I have not started yet. I have been sick and not hungry at all. Will start soon. Thanks again,

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-09-10, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: any and all
Stats: 115/120/115 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:

Are strawberries really like pure sugar? I thought they were one of the lowest if not lowest carb fruits. I ate very few this summer because I couldnt' find organic but I used to eat them quite often last year.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-10, 08:09

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr1
Are strawberries really like pure sugar? I thought they were one of the lowest if not lowest carb fruits. I ate very few this summer because I couldnt' find organic but I used to eat them quite often last year.

Hi,

I don't believe so. Strawberries are supposed to be more friendly to BS than many fruits.

I can do apples and strawberries.

However, it is important to note that what foods do what to whom is a very personal discovery.

Ralph
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-10, 12:49

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Comparing any fruit to pure sugar is not understanding anything about food.... or refined sugar.....

In the beginning when I started eating whole foods and getting off of artificial sweeteners, refined sugars, packaged foods, etc... I must admit, I did have some out of control spikes when eating fruits. It goes without saying that some fruits cause more impact on BG than others, but when the body gets healthier, it can keep BG under control when eating any kind of fruit, even without supplements...

Don't focus on what fruit is better than others or fruits to avoid, rather, focus on quantity consumed at any one time and keep adding variety and supplement to control. Eventually with consuming a nutritionally balanced diet, the body can balance/normalize itself if doing enough of the right things enough of the time.

I eat at least 25 varieties of fruits each month and much more variety than that in a year's time.

Can this work for everyone? I don't know, but it can work for a lot of people who don't think currently that they can truly turn their health around. I was once in the category of people who thought their health was doomed without any possibility of much improvement.

We get diseases such as diabetes because we didn't eat a balanced diet in the first place and we can't control it by continuing to manipulate our diets in an unbalanced manner.

Moderation is Key.........
Variety is the Spice of Life....
Balance is EVERYTHING..............
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-10, 17:20
Registered Member

Plan: any and all
Stats: 115/120/115 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinbr
Hi,

I don't believe so. Strawberries are supposed to be more friendly to BS than many fruits.

I can do apples and strawberries.

However, it is important to note that what foods do what to whom is a very personal discovery.

Ralph

I eat apples but only a half of one per serving. I eat different types of berries but limit them to half a cup. I do not eat high sugar fruits like pineapple at all. I might as well eat a candy bar. I know pineapple does have enzymes and nutrients but a slice wil raise my blood sugar just as much as a lot of desserts or sweets.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-10, 09:26
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you all! I am doing so good using the lantus & novolog. I cut the lantus from 38 units to 32 units. No more pills! Yah! I figured out I need 1 unit of novolog for every 4-5 carbs. I am still working it out. My AM readings are low 70's to 112 the highest. My daytime readings are usually low 90's and 140's the highest and that only happend once. I am so glad I am very familiar with carbs which makes it easier for me. Thanks again good people!

Jean
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-11, 22:49

Plan: mine
Stats: 161/161/161 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

I'm glad you're off the pills. It sounds like you didn't like them? I read up on their side effects, and never wanted to take them. I went straight to insulin and am still glad I did. It is the only natural treatment.

I use Lantus with Humalog for meals. I am just finding out that I need to use 2 doses of Lantus a day. It doesn't last 24 hours for me, but I'm still playing around with that.

With Humalog, I've seen it recommended that you take it 15 or 20 minutes before a meal. This will save a bit of the peak that you would get by taking it 5 to 10 min before. But half the time there are disasters or complications piling up and I just inject and eat.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-11, 09:01

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh1762
Thank you all! I am doing so good using the lantus & novolog. I cut the lantus from 38 units to 32 units. No more pills! Yah! I figured out I need 1 unit of novolog for every 4-5 carbs. I am still working it out. My AM readings are low 70's to 112 the highest. My daytime readings are usually low 90's and 140's the highest and that only happend once. I am so glad I am very familiar with carbs which makes it easier for me. Thanks again good people!

Jean

Good work.

Personal research and understanding is so important. I dropped some weight and my Novolog need changed from 1 unit per 5mg to 1 unit per 10mg of carbs.

Also, I have optimized my Vitamin D3 levels at 67 ng/mml. That is supposed to do many good things for you.

So look into Vitamin D3 and again the correct dose of Vitamin D3 is very personal and is based on many factors including weight, age, gender, etc.

There are lots of references on Vitamin D3.

However, I would recommend one that I have followed and also joined the study. http://www.grassrootshealth.net/

You will find a wealth of information here. Explore the site and if you are so inclined; join the study.

Ralph
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-11, 00:44

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 220/200/180 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Spikes!

Hi. The key to managing diabetes long term is to minimise BS spikes. Spikes and high levels will definitely lead to complications over time.

Every person is different so some people can have strawberries and others cannot.

The key is to find out how much insulin you need to take in order to minimise the spike from the strawberries. The easiest way to minimise spikes is to eat low carb. The next best thing is to eat reasonably low carb and manage spikes through careful use of insulin.

Two thoughts: a) as you lose weight you will need to reduce insulin accordingly otherwise you will have hypos. b) the more insulin you take the more fat you will store. This is the main reason diabetics turn to low carb because it reduces the amount of insulin required which will in turn help you to lose weight.

Have fun
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-11, 03:08

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

I wouldn't go as far as to compare strawberries to pure sugar, which only distracts from the point that they contain too much sugar to maintain very tight control of blood glucose. Virtually all fruits do.