Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 06:19

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

FBG this morning...........79. I don't get this all?? but I'll take it. I ate very few carbs yesterday and had nothing to eat after five in the evening except when I got home from work last night at eight I had a cup of tea and one inch square of dark chocolate.

No cardo exercise either. I did fifteen minutes of T-Tapp and then a forty five minute yoga workout.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 11:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I randomly have low FBG readings too. It'll be like a couple of days mid-cycle when I get them.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 15:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I randomly have low FBG readings too. It'll be like a couple of days mid-cycle when I get them.

So nancy you never have consistant low FBG? I had a pretty good record while on the milk thistle. It never got in the hundreds and was mostly in the eighties. It's been up and down since but I've only stopped taking the milk thistle for four days.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-09, 15:18
Experimenter

BF:

When I first started using my blood glucose meter it seems like I had low readings all the time. But in the last year they've been climbing. It's pretty typical for me to see > 100 every day. So far no supplements have helped.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-09, 06:32

BF:

FBG 79. I ate very low carb yesterday. As low as I've eaten in a long time. I did have one quarter cup of ice cream for dessert after dinner last night at five thirty but that was most of my carbs for the day and I ate nothing after five thirty.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-09, 08:23

BF:

Didnt' take my FBG over the weekend. this morning it was 90. My DH and I went to a chinese buffet yesterday and although I had no grains and only three or four bites of a creamy dessert with dairy I still swear they must put hidden carbs in the food. I tested yesterday afternoon and it was 114.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-09, 10:23
Experimenter

BF:

Oh this is interesting! Perhaps another reason why Milk Thistle might work for some:
Quote:
Another reason people have difficulty losing as they get older is that their livers don’t function as well. As we get older we tend to have more aches and pains, and we take more Tylenol and Advil and similar OTC medications for them. These drugs are metabolized in the liver, and, consequently, they consume some of the liver’s capacity. Same goes for coffee. No one likes coffee more than I. But when I want to pick up my weight loss after I’ve gone off the wagon for a while, I cut back on my coffee. Why? Because caffeine is metabolized in the liver just like the above drugs. It also consumes some of the liver’s capacity. I switch to decaf for a few days whenever I’m getting back on the straight and narrow. If you can’t stomach the thought of decaf coffee (and I don’t like it, myself) drink decaf Cafe Americano. (Here is a YouTube on how to make an Americano starring yours truly.) There is not as much difference (at least to my palate) between decaf and regular espresso than there is between decaf and regular coffee. Finally, as we age, we tend to drink more. Most people drink like fish during college, then slack off. They start to pick it back up (never to college levels, though, thank God) as they drift into middle age. Alcohol is detoxified in the liver just like caffeine and OTC pain relievers. All these things add up to put quite a load on the liver. And if you’ve regainded weight, you’ve probably got some fatty accumulation in your liver and it’s not working at peak levels anyway. All these added substances that compromise the liver even more don’t help.

Insulin stays in the circulation because it is put there by the pancreas and because it isn’t metabolized in the liver. A liver that isn’t functioning up to snuff won’t break down insulin as rapidly as it should. Consequently, higher levels of insulin mean more difficulty in losing weight. Plus, since the liver is the major organ involved in the entire metabolic process, it works a whole lot better to stabilize everything when it is unhindered by having to detoxify a lot of unnecessary stuff. Which is why you need to baby your liver when you restart your low-carb diet.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...nd-time-around/
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-09, 18:08

BF:

hmmmm very interesting about the liver. I DO drink coffee but usually only one cup a day and sometimes two. I drink a lot of green tea. And in the summer months I probably only have four ounces of coffee a day. Just enough to keep me out of my foggy feeling in the mornings.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 11:55

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
keep us posted on the results Nancy... thanks...

Yes, and I"m also wondering about Gymnema sylvestre. Have you tried it? I was reading about it somewhere (on this site or another) and now I can't find it.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 12:06

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

About the liver:
Regular blood test will show if your liver's ok:
ALT,AST,GGT,bilirubin
Gymnema sylvestre:
Available at Vitacost,SwansonVitamins and many other places.
Google it.
Eddie
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 12:10

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

More about gymnema sylvestre:
Gymnema had very small effect on my BG but it completely
destroyed my desire for sweet stuff and it lowered my triglycerides.It may affect others diferently.
Eddie
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 05:25

BF:

FBG this morning was 108. It has been in the eighties the last three times I've checked it. Last night around 7:30 I ate half a cup of blueberries. I guess I'll give up the blueberries or just eat them earlier. I did exercise yesterday but it was early afternoon.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 06:00

BF:

So far from taking this second bottle of siliphos my readings are high. between 100-110. I started on another supplement about a week ago for adrenal fatigue. I'm wondering if any of the herbs in it can cause sugar to go up. Yesterday I ate a total of 30 grams of carbs. Usually taking the siliphos and eating that low of carbs the reading would be 90 or below. Or maybe my pancreas is losing it!!