Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 15:29
Beautiful Disaster

Plan: tbl/common sense
Stats: 380/341/299 Female 6'0"
BF:so i've been told
Progress: 48%
Default (Help! Advice!) I'm pissed off! :(

So, I'm getting my tax return soon, and it's more than I was expecting..so I was going to buy a NordicTrack SpaceSaver Elliptical. I was all stoked, cuz it's on sale right now, and it would fit in our apartment, and it's good for losing weight AND toning at the same time, and you can adjust it for strength training, also.

So I'm getting ready to start financing it..and..

Quote:
250-lb. User Capacity

Get all the strength you expect with this 250 lb Capacity elliptical, designed to take the toughest workouts.

Are we fat people not allowed to work out? MUMBLE MUMBLE CURSE CURSE.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good work out unit that would have, maybe, a 350lb capacity that would be of the same type of machine?

What do those of you who work out use?

I just can't afford to go to the gym, because it's not just the membership, it's daycare for my Daughter, and the time invested to get there and back. Working out at home in the mornings in front of the TV while Aura sleeps is a lot more to my liking.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 15:34

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Sorry that the machine isn't going to work out for you. It is kind of maddening that there are weight restrictions on them. I'm not too familiar with other kinds of machines of that caliber that you could use, but for now do you enjoy doing exercise tapes? There are all kinds out there that give you a really good workout for a low price. Or how about checking out some of the programs on TV? Sorry I couldn't be of more help! Of course, you could always buy the machine and use it for incentive for when you lose some weight! I know, expensive incentive, but still if it's something you really want, it might be worth it!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 16:17
Beautiful Disaster

I have a hard time doing some of the cardio types they do on TV because I have a bad knee (from pre-heavy issues, I had an injury in school), and I'm looking for something that will give me the benefits of cardio, but without the high impact.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 16:25

Plan: 30 or less daily
Stats: 232.2/214.4/169 Female 68
BF:[url=http://www.Ti
Progress: 28%

I know but it's best you found that out before receiving it. Listen I used to own and operate a fitness/tanning salon and I refused to allow any equipment in my shop with that low weight limits cause I didn't want to offend or discourage anyone. Can you imagine having to tell someone they were NOT allowed to use a piece of equipment because they were too heavy? I put myself in their place, though back then I wasn't overweight, and knew that would not only embarrass customers but also be very hurtful. Here you are trying to loose and to hear something like that would be crushing. I tell this to let you know that I do understand but once again, it's best you know before ordering it. Most times they do have heavier duty pieces of equipment so don't give up yet. Keep searching!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 16:36

Plan: SBD
Stats: 338/258/189 Female five five
BF:
Progress: 54%

Definitely discouraging. Ironic too. I would send a note to them telling them you were considering making a purchase and tell them the reason why you did not.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 17:24

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

That is so discouraging. I know how you feel. There are other companies that make equipment to hold higher weights, but they cost and arm and a leg. I looked into treadmills that my daughter could also use and couldn't believe the price difference. I would recommend you bank the money for now and use this as incentive to lose a bit more.

One other option is to buy a used one dirt cheap (try it before you buy to make sure it works). They will ususally hold a bit more than the posted weight, but just aren't guaranteed at anything above the posted weight. Then if it doesn't hold up, you won't be out much money.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 17:37

Plan: LC - 50C or less
Stats: 455/246/200 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Yea I want a treadmill...but I definitly dont want to fork out the money it would take to hold my big rear.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 18:04

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Try looking at bikes. They're low impact, and the one we have is rated up to 350, but we've had it a long time, so I don't remember what it cost.

I mean stationary bikes, of course.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 18:34

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I just bought a stationary recumbant bike for $375 (schwinn) Awesome thing. Holds up to 375 pounds. I got it at Play it Again Sports. They also had elipitcals like you are describing that went up to 350 pound. If you have a Play It Again Sports you may want to check them out...

Oh yeah, and they were hundreds of $$$ less than any where else I looked for the same equipment!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 23:12
Beautiful Disaster

I'm going to look around and find out if it's worth the investment right now to buy any kind of at home thing. I just know that with dieting AND exercising, the weight will fly off even more, and I won't be left with post-fat-girl-flab when I'm done. That wet washcloth skin is not attractive.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 08:17
Carolina Girl

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244.5/131.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 91%

I found that the Ironman line seems to have some highter weight limit elliptical machines. I found one, in particular, at Costco, if you have in your area. Here is a link.

http://www.costco.ca/en-CA/Browse/P...&topnav=&browse=

It looks to be a bit more expensive than the one you posted however. Although, I also found some on ebay. I did a google search on 350 lb. weight limit elliptical machines and found a few. Ironman seemed to show up the most for brand names. Hope this helps!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 10:13
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I was going to suggest a recumbant bike also...but have you thoght of trying a Pilates DVD? I don't have it but wan tto get it, the Winsor Pilates DVD is supposed to be the best.

The good thing about Pilates is that there is no stress on your joints as you do it on a matt on the floor. Thats all the equipment that you need. So Aura can sit near by you and watch!!

I've gotten very good workouts doing Pilates. I also went to a Pilates class that was just for Big Girls....it helped me to be in a class with others the same big size as myself.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 10:51

Plan: Ex. Induction
Stats: 307.6/270/200 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I got a recumbant bike at WalMart for $230.. Works great and it shows no signs of breaking yet holding my 300lb arse. Sturdy as hell. But if you don't like WalMart (which I totally understand), you'll be looking at much more $$.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 11:06
Beautiful Disaster

I know this makes me sound a bit foolish..but..

I can't do the DVD's and such like that, or anything that involves a mat on the floor and me paying attention. I don't know why. I'm just not in good enough shape for it right now. I'm looking for something I can plop in front of my TV when my daughter is napping and exercise away while watching CSI, so I can pretend I'm not getting my ass kicked. I get so BORED watching those work out tapes.

Are those recumbent bikes cardio & strength training as well? That's why I was looking into getting an elliptical machine, because they're cardio on one setting, and if you change how they're set up, they're strength training.

I really am terrified of looking like this when I lose weight.

I'm scared, because, all of my weight is centralized in my torso area, mainly because of PCOS. I have normal girl legs & thighs & arms. If you put a different torso on me I wouldn't look like I was more than 40 or 50lbs overweight, not the 200 that I really am.

So, that said, I'm really trying to work out, burn calories, help speed along what the diet is doing, AND keep my skin toned and taught as I go.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-07, 12:17

Plan: LC - 50C or less
Stats: 455/246/200 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Im afraid of that too really. But in reality thats probably what I will look like at least for awhile. I dont know if this type of damage can be completely reversed (I doubt it) but I want to try to work out and at least try.

I have come to accept though that Id rather look like that and be around for my children and grandchildren than to look like I do now for whatever time I have left.