Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 10:40
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Cad/calp Quotes

Zuleikaa's response

I am a severe carbohydrate addict. I tested 58 points (in the summer) out of possible 60 points in the Hellers' carbohydrate addict test. Severe addiction is given a score in the range of 45-65 points.

I have been diagnosed with severe SAD (seasonal affective disorder) caused by a lack of light intensity in the winter which can cause depression, carbohydrate cravings and rapid weight gain/fat storage.

There have been questions raised about the accuracy of facts or suppositions contained in the CAD/CALP diet overview and general rules.

Karen the founder of this board
Quote:
CALP is a solid plan and like any other plan should be followed as written until you're "out of the woods" and are completely comfortable with it as a lifestyle. The Heller's have a lot of sound advice and it's always best to turn back to the source every once in a while for a refresher.

What she said is true and I did as she suggested. If I had adhered to the plans rules re the low carb bars I never would have had one.

Generally, however, I think that my overview is right on the money. You must remember that this diet is for carbohydrate addicts only and does not purport to serve other audiences. Nor by affirming it on this board did I mean to slight any other program.

I apologize for any offense that was given. None was intended. I also did not intend for my comments to be sweeping or generalized but rather just to apply to carbohydrate adicts alone, especially severe ones.

That being said, I will let the Hellers' speak for themselve. You can decide how accruate I was in the overview and general rules.
These are direct quotes from the CAD/CALP books:
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 10:50
Finding the Pieces

BF:
Default Helen's and Richard's Stories

The edition of CAD I'm quoting from is the 1993 edition

Rachel's Story

Quote:
p2 I attempted to lose weight on my own, trying every weight-loss method that magazines and television had to offer…The diets worked for a week, a month, or occasionally a couple of months. In the end though they all failed…..For the next fifteen years I tried an unending series of diets. There were pills prescription, over-the-counter. I tried water pills…Fasting and a variety of exercise regimens were also on my did not work list from those years, as are familiar names like Stillman, Atkins, Weight Watchers, and Pritikin.
Quote:
P2The pattern may sound familiar. At first, I would stick to my newest diet scrupulously. Gradually I would be tempted to begin cheating. In time, staying on the diet would become more and more difficult. I’d suppress the urge to eat, but then I’d slip. It would be occasional at first, then more often. …Often I would gain back more than I had lost. I tried some programs several times, reasoning that since they had worked for a while, the results would last if only I tried harder. I did, but they didn’t.
Quote:
P3 OA was another way…Liquid fasts came next for me, followed by behavior modification training, stomach stapling, Weight Watchers (again) and even hypnotism…It was the same pattern over and over. I would find a “cure”, follow it, buy it, or submit to it—and sometimes I would lose some weight. Then within a matter of months, I would begin to gain it back…I was unable to find a permanent solution, or one that would get me to my target weight for a month or even a minute. And each time another diet failed, I felt like a failure.

Richard's Story

Quote:
p5 I tried a variety of techniques to trim down. Most of them worked—in the short term. I’d adhere strictly to the program, but one little compromise would lead to another. Pretty soon there were whole days during which I never quite got started on the diet.

Quote:
p6 I ran every morning and worked up to a total of forty-two miles a week. I kept it up for more than two year…I felt wonderful—but I never lost a pound.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 10:55
Finding the Pieces

BF:
Default CAD Quotes

p28 Some carbohydrate addicts report that they feel hungry immediately after eating carbohydrates. They never feel satisfied. Cas recognize the desire to eat isn’t logical, because they know they’re not really hunger in the sense of requiring nourishment. But the drive to eat is hard to deny….eating out of habit, almost unconsciously satisfying a compulsion….Sometimes the desire to eat can be overwhelming, virtually compelling you to satisfy it. Many Cas report that their cravings grow stronger each time they eat carbohydrates… For CAs consuming carbohydrate-rich foods produces a compulsion to eat…Unfortunately, the problem doesn’t end there. In the presence of the excess insulin, the body also becomes very good at conserving energy. So while the CA gets hungrier with each carbohydrate-rich meal, the body gets better at storing enery—in the form of fat.

P29 Through our research we discovered that it isn’t only the amount of carbohydrates eaten that matters—it is also how frequently the are eaten…Personally and professionally, we discovered that any weight-loss diet that prescribes three or more small meals each day containing anything more than minor amounts of carbohydrates will ultimately fail with the CA. Such a diet will trigger the insulin response and signal the CA to eat once again..In general, we direct our dieters to eat two high-fiber…low-carbohydrate meals each day and to confine their carbohydrate-rich foods to one daily sixty minute sitting that makes up the third meal. In this way, recurring cravings, and weight gain is corrected. Insulin release is dramatically reduced. The carbohydrate addict feels satisfied—and stays satisfied for many hours. Weight drops off naturally, fat deposits decrease, and the addictive cycle is broken.

P33 The standard diet plans don’t work for CAs—and CAs blame themselves…With diets, most of us forget common sense. We pick a diet..giving little thought to our needs, our preferences, our strengths, our weaknesses, or specific metabolic levels. We take what me (or may not be appropriate for someone else and assume that it should be correct for us. We don’t look at what we need. Then we blame ourselves when, in the long run, it doesn’t work. The diet that fails us is interpreted as our own failure. Maybe, just maybe, that’s because it wasn’t an appropriate plan in the first place. And the CA diet just might be.

P46 For CAs, this means that by changing the number of times they consume carbohydrates each day, they can reduce the intensity and recurrence of hunger and cravings and increase their body’s tendency to lose weight.

P58 Remember…Not Everybody’s a Carbohydrate Addict. Not everyone who is addicted to carbohydrates is overweight, and not everyone who is overweight is a CA.

P58 Remember…Not Everybody’s a Carbohydrate Addict. Not everyone who is addicted to carbohydrates is overweight, and not everyone who is overweight is a CA.

P79-80Addiction Triggers—anger you can’t express, anxiety, depression, frustration, self-blame, changes in home/work life, exercise, illness, pregnancy, premenstrual changes, quitting smoking, extreme dieting, fasting, the sight or smell of food, rapid weight gain/loss.

P103 One piece of fruit eaten at other than your reward meal can reverse the whole metabolic process that is emptying your fat cells…Even Complementary foods should not be eaten between meals.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 10:57
Finding the Pieces

BF:
Default CALP Quotes

P58-59 In either case, whether carbo cravings or weight gain is the first sign, the cravings and the weight are symptoms of an underlying physical problem, which must be corrected if you are to live a slim and healthy life..Carbohydrate—rich snacks, which are eaten without the correct balance of protein and fiber, are more likely to set off an insulin imbalance than would fully balanced meals…You will begin to see that those” innocent” (even “healthy”) little snacks of the past may have led you to crave more food, more intensely.

P59 Sugar substitutes may “fool” the body calorie-wise but they cannot deceive the body’s insulin response…The rule of thumb is this: if it tastes sweet, your body thinks that it is getting sugar, your body releases insulin, and if you are prone to releasing too much insulin, then anything that tastes sweet, no matter how “low-calorie” it is can lead to increased cravings and weight gain.

P59 Sugar substitutes may “fool” the body calorie-wise but they cannot deceive the body’s insulin response…The rule of thumb is this: if it tastes sweet, your body thinks that it is getting sugar, your body releases insulin, and if you are prone to releasing too much insulin, then anything that tastes sweet, no matter how “low-calorie” it is can lead to increased cravings and weight gain.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 11:01
Finding the Pieces

BF:
Default CALP Quotes (cont'd)

Sorry, clicked wrong.

P68 For the CA prolonged consumption of alcohol or a simple round of drinks can lead to carbo cravings and/or weight gain.

P80 For those with a genetic predisposition to a sensitivity to seasonal changes, the shortening daylight appears to trigger their body to go into a “conservation mode”, driving them to take in more and more carbohydrate-rich foods and then quickloy turning that incoming food into fat (for storage in the fat cells). For those with SAD, each coming winter is a time bomb, waiting to set off their cravings and their weight gain.

Finally,

P82 If you are a CA, it is essential that you fully recognize that you are not to blame. You did not choose your family and your genetics and chances are that you have suffered more than your fair share for having inherited the right body in the wrong time….Although you cannot change the fact that you may have inherited a body that sits poised—like a loaded gun ready to fire—you can keep the trigger from ever being pulled again and help to contain all of the time bombs that might otherwise be waiting.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 12:30
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
You must remember that this diet is for carbohydrate addicts only and does not purport to serve other audiences.

Zuleika, I do not intend to get into a "battle of the quotes" with you, but it is stated in CALP under Doubtful Addiction:

"And while those with a doubtful addiction may enjoy and benefit from the LifeSpan Program, we simply want you to understand that this program was designed, specifically, to reduce the cravings and weight problems of those in the mild, moderate, or strong addiction range."

It's not a matter of slighting any program. What it appears like is an almost zealous defense of the virtues of CAD/CALP for the carbohydrate addicted. There are many other reasons for addiction besides the rise in insulin from carbohydrates alone. All addicts cannot be painted into wellness with the same brush.

You also have to recognize that many die-hard addicts would not touch CAD/CALP with a thousand foot pole. I am one of them. For me, and many others, abstinence is what works. My insulin levels do not rise after eating artificial sweeteners. I have solid proof of it by using a glucometer.

All programs have their virtues and what can be percieved as drawbacks. A lot of it depends on how the person using the program of their choice follows it in terms of effort and commitment. It also depends on taking a good hard look at yourself in the present and your history to see what you can change to make health and sanity come your way. Some people have severe metabolic damage from a lifetime of yo-yo dieting and calorie restriction. Another diet, no matter how sound in principle, will do nothing to help them regain their health.

After watching people desperately seeking the magic bullet for two years on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that there is no magic bullet. It's trial, error and dedication and educating yourself while keeping your wits about you. For them, bouncing from diet to diet only adds to their confusion and desperation.

You're doing great with the program you've devised for yourself and tweaking in a rational manner is something we encourage. Congratulations!

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 12:46
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Karen

I agree with you totally. There is no magic bullet. And believe me I have bounced around a bit myself on the recommendations of good intensioned people. I believe that everyone has to find his/her own way and stick with what works for them. I also believe that whatever your choice is you should give it a good and sincere trial to work with your body chemistry before you throw in the towel and move on.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 15:41

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
Zuleika,
snip
You're doing great with the program you've devised for yourself and tweaking in a rational manner is something we encourage. Congratulations!

Karen

Now I'm getting confused.....Zuleika, if you don't mind, could you please explain your plan? I see that it's "Atkins and CAD", but what exactly does that mean?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 15:43

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Zuleika, thank you so much for all the quotes.....I really appreciate the time and effort you put into it.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 21:43
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I must admit, Sky Spinner, just recently I had to go back and analyze my wieght loss and just what program was working for me. I realized that this year was the first year I really did Akins and I did not lose weight this year like I had the past two years when I was more CAD than Atkins.

Generally after SAD, I would do two weeks of Atkins to get my body in a low carb mode and then use Atkins whle CADing 2-3 times a week. This seemed to work really well for me and I would lose 40-50 pounds during the summer.

This summer I did Atkins religiously and tried to eat more meals. Well, I pretty soon realized what more than 4 meals was doing to me but had only lose 10 pounds by mid August. Generally I lost 10-12 pounds a month the previous two years. In desperation, a panic actually, I went on fat fast. I then lost weight but I think that part of the weight was muscle loss because when I went off fat fast I gained some weight back. Then I discoved fat flush and modified it to be low carb and I really lost. This summer I will not be attempting to adhere to Atkins after the two week induction at all. But I have incorporated some foods that are allowed on Atkins and not CAD that I don't react to and to the concept of net carbs, if I don't react to them. CAD just fits my body chemistry better. I was just trying to find something that worked faster. It didn't. No surprise, huh? But I also think I need Atkins induction after SAD season because I just am so out of control at the end of SAD that It's a nice transition to get my mind and body back under my control.

Did I confuse you more or do you understand better. I think journaling is great for helping you think clearer and really ponder things. I think also helping you CAD members find the right path has also brought me back home to. Thanks.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 18:42
Finding the Pieces

BF:
Default CAD/CALP Quotes cont'd

P56People with severe carbohydrate addiction are able to stay on diets for a limited time. Typically they find that they just can’t keep it up. Sooner or later they find themselves eating the very foods they had been trying to avoid.

P56 For you, the severely addicted CA, CAD should be easier to follow than any of the diet plans you have tried in the past. It has been designed to reduce your hunger and food cravings , which reduces the temptation to cheat.

P122 In some cases, the Reward Meal, the most exciting and enjoyable part of CAD, presents the most difficult guideline of the diet. Dieters are not used to eating what they want, at any time, without fear of being punished. They feel guilty and perhaps concerned about indulging in the pleasure of the Reward Meal. Remember CAD treats the biologically based cause of your drive for carbohydrates and your excess weight. The Reward Meal is an essential part of CAD

P123 Tell that voice in your head to stop nagging and scaring you. Past diets did not work. Neither did the rules that they offered. Try this diet with an open mind and sit back and watch it work.

P125 If you have finished your Reward Meal hour and you suddenly think of something you would like to have eaten, don’t despair (and most important, don’t go back for more). Put the food away , and then eat guiltlessly at your next Reward Meal—no more than 24 hours away.

P134Daily weighing…Even when you’re not dieting, your weight may vary by as much as five pounds a week. As a result, a once a week weighing is not enough.

P45 It is essential that you understand that, without knowing it, you have been fighting a virtually insurmountable physical problem.

P47 This program has been designed to correct the cause of your cravings and weight gain—it is not a diet of deprivation or sacrifice, but, rather, a correction for the hormonal imbalance that caused your eating and weight problems in the first place. Most people happily report that they succeed simply because they have no desire to cheat, and that, we believe, is how it should be.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 11:16
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Update
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 08:45
Finding the Pieces