Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 14:08
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%

I love this thread. I have friends who are going to be looking into the forum and CAD/CALP and I hope that they see this thread. I'm posting so that it will bump back up to the top. I've read this thread a few times and always come away with some new information. I agree with Ilse, it would make a great addition to the stickies.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 14:11
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%

Oh, by the way, if you are recieving any thread that you are no longer interested in you can take yourself off of the email alert. At the bottom of the email you will find a link that when activated will remove you from that thread email list.
I hope this helps.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 20:45

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

I first started Atkins a year ago...I have been on and off it all year due to sugar cravings....and feeling lousy. I did not get the energy...I felt more sluggish, my digestion was horrible...constipation. And would only lose about 3-4 lbs per month. But then I'd jump off the wagon and gain it all right back. The carb cravings would come back twice as bad every time.

So I tried South beach....felt ok on it...nothing miraculous...then I would start adding some carb back....and OHMIGOD...I was the anti-christ....horrible mood swings...shaking..dizzy....just awful. Not too mention I'd gain the entire 3 lousy lbs right back again!!

But not having extra carbs (more veg, some grain, or fruit) left my digestion a terrible mess...even with taking fibre supplements.

I started CALP today, I scored 50!! out of 50!! You cannot be more severe carb addict than that. I am praying this is the plan that will work for me.
So far so good. I've had 2 snacks and 3 meals....had strawberries and whip cream with my dinner as my RM.....and with all the veggies I ate today....not to be too graphic...but the week of constipation with Atkins/SBD, was gone after an hour of my dinner!

So...I agree..you just have to find the plan that works for your body. Atkins and South Beach did not work for me. I felt awful.

I hope CALP is it!!
Natascha
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/178.4/125 Female 5ft. 4 inch.
BF:?
Progress: 23%

Wow,

Thanks for this thread. I read the CAD book at Barns and Knoble a few days ago and I found it very, very interesting. I have read Sugar Busters and Atkins and of course you can see I am on Atkins right now.

I answered yes to enough CAD questions that I might give it a try. I have been on Atkins induction for over three weeks now and lost 5 pounds and gained and lost the same three pounds for two weeks now.

The most frustrating thing is "I did not cheat at all!"
My ketostix are purple to varing degrees every night. I only use Splenda in my drinks, it's in the Morning Lo-Carb Shakes and Diet-Rite. And, I have had the Jello SF gelatin and puddings, once or twice a week. They have aspertame, but other than that I don't have anything sweet.

I also have the "regularity" problem as well, and do eat my 20 grams of carbs in the form of healthy vegetables, but with some cheese and salad dressings, I have to cut them down to stay under the total of 20 grams of carbs per day. And I do dring a lot of water.

I have resisted Oreos, candy, chocolate, all kinds of things since my dh is not on a diet and will eat these things watching T.V. at night. I discovered that I do have willpower, so I am really dissapointed that I haven't lost more weight.

I am wondering if someone can answer a few questions for me. (I looked at the CAD web site and not much I could find), since I can't afford another book or anything right now, (I have spent a little more on food lately, and shakes and stuff which is not cheap. My dh has had to cut down on his junk food as a result

Okay...........here goes

1. The CM meals do they have to be consumed in a time limit say 1/2 hour or less? What amout the time in between these meals, I am not sure on that, one, two, or more hours?

2. Am I correct in understanding that the CM meals consist pretty much of the same basic, very low carb choices from Atkins induction, except for the Broccoli? But following a Low fat approach too?

3. I haven't weighed myself everyday, just once or so a week. (I need to buy a scale), but is this really necessary, or does it just help pyscologically?

4. I have been reading some journals on this site, on CAD, and it seems that some people just modify this diet with the Atkins Diet, but the timing and amount of the meals per day is the key?

From what I understand I will have to cut out the artificial sweeteners, lower the fat content of my low carb meals. Eat only two or three CM meals and one RM meal each day. Nothing in between at all. Drink Water at any other time of day. And, the sweetest part, eat one balanced, but including carbs, (potatoes, sugar, pasta, flour, bread,) meal a day, in under 60 minutes, and of course not overdoing it, and basically using a 1/3 protein, 1/3 fat, 1/3 carb, balance.

If I understand this correctly, I can do this diet! I miss my homeade bread, and meatloaf with mashed potatoes and stuff. I thought I would have to give them up for life. If I can have them once in a while in controlled amounts, I would be in Heaven.

Thank you for reading. I will now continue to read all your stories and finally figure out what works for me.

Thanks for all your help,

Tracy

Last edited by cheftracy : Tue, Oct-28-03 at 09:56.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 10:27

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi ChefTracy--I just bumped the "cheat sheet" to the top of the page for you. This (thanks to Zuleikaa) will tell you pretty much what is allowed, and everything else you will need to know, in order to get started. This will help you, I think, until one of the real experts comes along to answer your questions. I will tell you though--that I'm making meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner tonight.. I don't eat all the carbey foods at one meal--it just works better for me this way. So--for example--if I'm going to have potato, I skip dessert (which means I probably WON'T have the potato)
I sort of pick and choose my 1/3 carb allotment each day at rm. Some people can handle having it all, but it doesn't work well for me. It's a real learning process--as far as what foods and how much of them your body can handle, and still lose. But it definitely WILL work for you, if you decide to try it. Wishing you all the best...
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 11:11

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

I too am weary of having "too much" at once....so I will choose only 1 treat and limit it to the size of what fits in one of my small ramekins (custard dish) 1/2 c size.

So last night was strawberries with whip cream....and tonight I think it might be berries again as I still have whip cream left over from last night....or maybe some baked apples with cinnamon, splenda and whip cream! MMMMM....I can't wait!!

Enjoy!
Natascha
(former Atkins and South beach)
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 12:39
Registered Member

Stats: 194/178.4/125 Female 5ft. 4 inch.
BF:?
Progress: 23%

Thanks for the cheat sheet Tess. I really think I need to change from Atkins to CAD. The more that I read, the more I think I need a change. I am losing patience and I don't want to quit. I just need a plan that I can live with.

It is nice that we are all in this together, it makes it much easier to see others have the same concerns. It is also very nice to read the success stories as well.

Thanks again,
Tracy
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 09:53
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Updating post.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 12:07

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Thanks Zulie for creating this thread and bumping it up again. You spent a lot of time to write this all out and it is very informative.

I enjoyed reading all the posts. It makes me again realize how livable CAD is and how glad that I am that I have this as my WOE.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 17:32

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

Thanks, Zule! I'm bumping this up again because it's great to review! It's also something great to read if you're someone considering switching to CAD/CALP.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 12:31
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Updating post.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 19:47
One Day At A Time

Stats: 373/373/145 Female 5'5
BF:at least 59%
Progress: 0%

Hello Again,
I was reading through this thread and wanted to make a comment about switching from Atkins to CAD/CALP. I have been a die-hard Atkins fan for years. And.. the first time I used that woe... i was successful. I lost 120 pounds and felt wonderful. At some point.. when I let my guard down feeling that I had "mastered" it and could somewhat return to a "normal" way of eating I lost all control and gained back what was lost. My own fault entirely. I looked at Atkins as a "get slim quick" method of weight loss. Not much more in the beginning. I can tell you the carb count of almost any food. I knew that Atkins works. I also knew that I could lose the weight again if I was more determined to make Atkins a way of life. I had no trouble getting back into ketosis.. and even the second time. The third time it was a bit harder to maintain.. and my weight came off more slowly and the plateaus came more frequently. Every 2 to 3 pounds instead of every 5-6. I believe whole heartedly that for someone who has tried the low fat high carb method of weight loss.. and is switching for the first time to a low carb way of life that they can be successful if determined to stay low carb for life. However, I am testimony the damage that one can do to not only their heart, but their metabolism by being inconsistent with whatever plan you follow. I have trained my body to become a carb sensitive machine. It is sensitive to things now that it was not sensitive to before. When I read the cad book I could see me. I hope this way of eating will help me regain some control over my weight and my health.

Thanks for your support
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 20:39
Finding the Pieces

BF:

CAD will heal you but it will not change your CA body chemistry. That will now always be with you.

The good news is that you can do CAD for life!!! It's not an extreme.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 13:21

Stats: 264/246/175 Female 65"
BF:??/47%/35%
Progress: 20%
Unhappy Help please....

I am making the movement from Atkins to CAD and have read the book as well as "lurking" on this forum for a while but I'm still a little confused and hope you can help out.
I definitely understand the RM but am confused about the other 2 meals. No carbs for breakfast and lunch (if I choose dinner as my RM)? Or keep carbs to 2 at breakfast and lunch?
Somehow I thought those 2 meals were to be protein and veggies...but, of course, veggies have carbs so you can see my confusion.
Help!
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 14:39
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Veggies are from the allowed list for CM. You don't count the carbs in them. The carbs you count are for condiments such as salad dressings, pickles, mayonaise, etc.