Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 07:46
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Update
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:58

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%

Ok, Iv beem on Atkins since July 2002, and if you eat too many carbs you dont lose. So, how ia it possible to lose wait with a reward meal, I really dont get it.

PLease explane,

Oh and what doe cm and the other abreviations mean.

what do these meals consist of,

The reward meal, do you mean any reward, potatoe chips, cake, pies, how can we lose doing this.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 20:17

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Self Education

Quote:
CALP is a solid plan and like any other plan should be followed as written until you're "out of the woods" and are completely comfortable with it as a lifestyle. The Heller's have a lot of sound advice and it's always best to turn back to the source every once in a while for a refresher

Karen,

Once again you have hit the nail on the head.

I have seen some discrepancies in some folks interpretations of the Heller's books. Personally, I would suggest to anyone wanting to learn more about the CAD or CALP diet to run down to their local library and borrow their books for a while. This will be the most accurate way for you to learn and understand how the Heller's diet works.

I think the most important thing I have done to help myself with my health has been to educate myself on how to improve my diet.

Best wishes,
Libby
  #34   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 06:11
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Stallqueen
CAD works because it deals with the body's chemical insulin reactions. The simple explanation is that insulin tells your body to store fat. If your insulin is high, it doesn't matter that your total carb count is only 30, your body will store fat!! CAD controls insulin release so that you can lose weight.

Some on Atkins can stall because insulin (even at low carbs) is still too high to lose weight. Carbohydrate Addicts react to all carbs (even fiber!!), Artificial Sugar (if it tastes sweet, the body believes it's carbs!!).

Re the RM. After controlling carbs at the CM, the body doesn't expect the carbs at the CM and therefore only releases insulin in amounts that the CMs called for. Therefore if you finish the RM within the hour, you fool the body and your insulin never rises.

You should read further in the CAD forum on rules, quotes and very important Carb addiction vs allergy. Those threads explain in more depth.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 07:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/230/165 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 24%

Exactly, thats why you have to follow CAD exactly. No snacking like Atkins allows you to.

Plus in my opinion....w/CAD your only eating two small CM a day with is low in fat/calories in itself.... so by the time you eat dinner your not consuming as many calories as you think.

I love it !!
  #36   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 19:09

BF:
Default Read the book......

Quote:
Exactly, thats why you have to follow CAD exactly. No snacking like Atkins allows you to

Actually "The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet" does allow snacks, So does "The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program".

I decided a long time ago that if I was hungry between meals that by golly I was going to eat the right things and not wait until I was so hungry that I made poor choices. (which I tend to do when very hungry) By choosing LC foods for snacks it kept me on the right track for my other meals too. A piece of cheese, a serving of LC veggies, cottage cheese...... just a little something.

I never had problems with occasional snacking.

Libby
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 18:21
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Update
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 07:11
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Update.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 04:45
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Update
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 165/154.5/130
BF:
Progress: 30%
Question

Why do you guys consider doing CAD better than Atkins? I'm curious on the comparison...
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 16:31
Finding the Pieces

BF:

This is not a comparison for Atkins and we are not saying this plan is better than Atkins. What we are saying is that this plan is for carbohydrate addicts and addresses their particular and unique blood chemistries. Also, IMHO and the Hellers, CAs actually need a level of carbs to function well. Therefore, we feel this plan is better for Carbohydrate Addicts than Atkins or other low carb plans. This plan gets at the root of the problem for CAs which is a defective insulin releasing mechanism. We also feel this plan is not for you if you are not a CA.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Fri, Jun-27-03 at 16:32.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 07:38
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuleikaa
This is not a comparison for Atkins and we are not saying this plan is better than Atkins. What we are saying is that this plan is for carbohydrate addicts and addresses their particular and unique blood chemistries. Also, IMHO and the Hellers, CAs actually need a level of carbs to function well. Therefore, we feel this plan is better for Carbohydrate Addicts than Atkins or other low carb plans. This plan gets at the root of the problem for CAs which is a defective insulin releasing mechanism. We also feel this plan is not for you if you are not a CA.

I wasn't trying to say that CAD was better Atkins I was just wondering what the difference was for people. Like...why someone would choose to do this one over Atkins but you basically answered my question. The only other low carb diet I tried was Atkins and having to cut out carbs to that degree was just too hard for me. I am a serious carbohydrate addict. I can't tell you how many times I've eaten so much pasta and kept eating until I felt sick and miserable all night. I've never been a big meat person but I'm learning. I love eggs and chicken and shell fish. On occasion I like fish and beef so I do believe I can do this. I got the book and today I shall read it cover to cover.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 19:18

BF:
Default CALP/ CAD vs Atkins

Quote:
Why do you guys consider doing CAD better than Atkins? I'm curious on the comparison...

I have never done Atkins. I have read much of Atkins' stuff, but never followed the plan. For me the reason is simple, I hit upon CALP first and tried it and liked it. It was easy. I have a feeling that I might have had trouble following the more strict Atkins plan.

I can't compare them from experience, simply because I haven't done Atkins.

Quote:
I've never been a big meat person but I'm learning.

You don't have to be a big meat eater do do CALP or CAD. I am not a big meat eater, although I like it. I have found that since starting CALP I eat much more fish. Can't complain about that.

Libby
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 11:17
Registered Member

BF:

Thanx for the help. I've been reading up on it this weekend and I am a tad confused. Trying to figure out the best way to handle this diet. I get up really early and my bf makes me breakfast usually it's like an english muffin or an english muffin w/egg & cheese. So now I'm planning on eating hard boiled eggs instead to avoid the carbs. Lunch is tough because I work and I have to take my lunch with me everyday. I'm thinking I might do the RM for lunch because he makes me dinner at night which is usually LC friendly. Is it ok to switch back and forth doing the RM for lunch one day and the next day RM for dinner?
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 16:23

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

Robin: In the book Hellers recommend that you choose a specific time of day for your RM and stick to it they suggest only changing that for special occasions. I have had my RM at night and on the rare occasion when I switch to lunch I feel like I'm missing out on something later in the day. Hellers also say it is important for 24 hours to elapse between reward meals to maintain the insulin balance.