Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-13, 22:48

Plan: CAD/Gluten-free
Stats: 263/211/125 Female 62 inches (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Coconut/Almond milks??

Okay, it's been a LONG while since I've read any of the books, but what do you guys think about unsweetened almond/coconut milks- I bought a brand for my dairy allergic daughter and I checked the carbs- less than one per cup!! It's not sweet or anything but has a pleasant savory/sweet taste. Anybody know? I had a cup yesterday and it didn't affect my weight so I'm hoping it would work ok.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-13, 01:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I've been experimenting with unsweetened almond milk the last couple of weeks. It doesn't seem to affect my weight loss. And it gives my stomach just the right amount of satisfied right before bed. My class schedule and natural eating patterns currently have me eating two meals and a snack on school days. So I've been using the almond milk on those nights.
I think it's one of those foods that will work for some but may not work for others.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-13, 12:39

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Almond milk is allowed on the New Atkins (don't remember about coconut milk). Nuts are low carb, and would probably be allowed in induction except portion control and calories can be such a problem. I would not expect that problem with almond and coconut milks.

I've drunk both with no apparent effect.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-13, 14:15

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

If you want to follow cad or calp etc., it's not allowed..just not on their cm lists.

If you wish to modify cad, just keep good food logs and if you start to have cravings or weight gain, increased hunger, you'll know that this may be the culprit!

The Heller's emphasized that their plans weren't about counting calories, fat or carb gms.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-13, 21:02
Registered Member

Plan: JUDDD / Fast 5
Stats: 293/163/163 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

CALP was written quite some time ago. Is it possible almond milk wasn't included because it wasn't as popular then as it is today? Or does it state somewhere specifically that it isn't included?

I don't drink it myself. lol
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-13, 05:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericste
CALP was written quite some time ago. Is it possible almond milk wasn't included because it wasn't as popular then as it is today? Or does it state somewhere specifically that it isn't included?

I don't drink it myself. lol

It was written some time ago, but it has lists of cm items, and if not on those lists, one is not supposed to eat the unlisted food outside of rm. In a slightly later book - their heart healthy book, they specificially say that all nuts are considered high carb and not to be eaten outside rm..almond milk would def. fall into that category.

One can choose to not strictly follow their plans, but I was answering the question based on their plans as written
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-13, 11:23

Plan: CAD (original version)
Stats: 154/153/135 Female 5'7"
BF:33%>30%>19%
Progress: 5%

That is interesting because in their latest books, The Stress Eating Cure, I thought most nuts were on the compatable list? Can anyone confirm that I am reading correctly?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-13, 12:36

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/144/120 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 14%

I just started using Alpro unsweetened when I started low carbing a month ago - and I wake up without a grungy taste on my tongue that I've had for years. I think now that ordinary milk was causing that. I take a lot of milk in tea and think this is a good alternative to fresh milk. Getting used to the taste now, but the original sweetened version is awful
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-13, 14:13
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi-
since this is a question about CAD I will attempt to answer it.
The Hellers wrote their books long before COCONUT, ALMOND or other milks were developed to replace dairy milk.

It is not on their allowed lists. Period.
In my 10 years of experience on CALP and having read all of their books they really discourage HAVING ANYTHING THAT TASTES SWEET as part of the CM.

As Patricia said, this is a YMMV issue. If you want to try it, please keep records for more than one day. This has to be a plan you can live with.

This is NOT ATKINS and the Atkins rules do not apply. It is also not their stress book- which is a carb meal in the morning. I find it dangerous to pick and choose what you like, but again YOU can do it as long as you accept responsibility for monitoring yourself. Or not. It's really up to you.

HTH-
E
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-13, 02:36

BF:

If almond milk wasn't around when they wrote the book, but has amazingly low carbs in it, then to me anyway it makes sense to adapt and include it if it works. I've just been on this diet two days and am finding it much much easier than the extreme LC I was trying for the past two weeks.
I agree with the posters who are saying we need to try things and see what fits for us.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-13, 07:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardatha
If almond milk wasn't around when they wrote the book, but has amazingly low carbs in it, then to me anyway it makes sense to adapt and include it if it works. I've just been on this diet two days and am finding it much much easier than the extreme LC I was trying for the past two weeks.
I agree with the posters who are saying we need to try things and see what fits for us.

Eno's point is that while almond milk was not around, nuts were. Nuts are not allowed. If you want to experiment, just keep detailed records so if cravings or weight swings or stalls occur, you can do your detective work and figure out the probable culprit.

A lot of folks, if not careful, ymmv their way off plan into a "this doesn't work" belief without seeing what they have chosen to do off plan, is the culprit.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-13, 03:42

BF:

Ok yes, that makes a lot of sense!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-13, 04:31

BF:
Talking

Well, what I'm doing is mixing almond milk and whole milk 50/50. I can't live without tea and if I try the diet would fail.
Today I lost another 1lb and am now at a weight I haven't seen for ten years Thanks for all help and support!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-16, 04:18

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

Sounds like you are following your heart. Good thinking M.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-16, 07:43

Plan: CALP
Stats: 241/210/180 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 51%

The only problem with almond milk is that it contains carrageenan - aka MSG. When I eat MSG (in Chinese food etc.) it does seem to make me crave carbs. So now I just put heavy whipping cream or half-and-half in coffee & watch the carb count. I've searched for carrageenan-free almond milk, in vain. If anyone knows a good one, please let me know! I'd say give almond milk a try, but pay attention to any effect on your appetite or weight loss.