Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 13:51

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jeanz
This is a great thread, thanks! I want to add that when I am doing strict Atkins and I eat something with a little too many carbs at one time I get a sugar rush - I actually get a high feeling that lasts about 1/2 hour. For some reason I do not get that now since I started CAD last week. It's strange, because at my RM I am eating a lot more carbs than I did on Atkins but not getting the sugar rush even if I eat a dessert at my RM. Anyway, I'm taking that as a positive sign that I'm doing this right and that my body is responding to it.

I can't call it a sugar rush, but similarly, anytime there's a wee tad more carbs in say, a salad, about an hour later I'm a little spaced and unfortunately, HUNGRY.

Doesn't sound like a good sign.

But glad to know I'm not the only one.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 08:38

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppinn
Malisa,

When I first heard of this plan I didn't know anything about CAD. I happened to pick up the CALP book and have come to the conclusion that this is the plan for me.

When I loaned my CALP book to a friend and never got it back, DH ordered me another one. He ordered the wrong book and I ended up with CAD. As soon as I discovered it was the wrong book, he ordered me the correct one. I never opened CAD until recently because I was curious to know the difference between the two. I prefer CALP because it is straight forward and easy to comprehend.

I know you can be successful on this program but feel rather strongly you should pick up one of the books. If you do not want to invest in your own copy, borrow one at your local library.

This is my second time on CALP and the second time I purchased my own copy. It is an invaluable resource and one that you will refer to many times.

This is a great thread for someone that has read the books but, IMO, it does not contain enough information for those that are beginning the program.

I agree with your points. It took me a really long time to get through this thread, and I was actually more confused AFTER plowing through it than I was previously.

I wish a NEW thread was started, and that whoever is the moderator would make it a STICKY thread.

I'm sure this diet would be much more popular if there was a STICKY thread with the basic framework, and the actual rules, few though they be.

Also, total newbies would have NO idea what is the difference between CAD and CALP; also, it would be nice to have a total list of all the books the Hellers wrote.

JMO.
  #123   ^
Old Fri, May-15-09, 00:06
What a good girl!!!

Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%
Default CM Question

I have a question. I'm a newbie, 2nd day. Today was a strange eating day. I didn't eat a breakfast CM. I had nothing. I had a CM at lunch time, veggies & protein, then an RM for dinner, 2 cups salad, 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 protein, veggies and carb=baked potato. Couldn't finish it. We had to eat early to make a comedy show. I was told that if I was hungry at night when we got home I could eat a CM. I know it should have been veggies and protein but I ate a cold pork chop and didn't have the room for more veggies. Can doing something like this cause a stall. I did have 2 servings of veggies plus a salad. I tried reading as many threads as I can but couldn't find the answer. Wanted to know if this ever came up again if I ate the protein without veggies once in awhile, is this what will cause a stall or weight gain?

Thanks.

Lisa
  #124   ^
Old Fri, May-15-09, 06:40
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Lisa-
I think you are fine. You can't have a stall now- you have just started!! This is a slow but steady plan- just give it time. You are doing great-

about having this as a sticky (have you seen the CHEAT SHEET- it is worth printing out)- please feel free to ask one of the moderators. When I did years ago, they told me they wanted people to read the books and not use a sticky as the plan guide. I agree we could use some help here!
  #125   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 07:57
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Bump It Up!
  #126   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-12, 11:51
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Bump it!!!!!
  #127   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-12, 12:52

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

Thank you! Great reminder,

bless.

Missing some vitamin D, haven't taken them for a while.
  #128   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-15, 06:34
Finding the Pieces

BF:

bumping, lol.
  #129   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-16, 04:15

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 180/169/135 Female 61 in.
BF:
Progress: 24%

I read through most of this thread. It made me think about the difference between people who do Atkins or other similar diets and thrive and the people who do Atkins and spiral out of control after a few weeks. Maybe the people who thrive on the full Atkins program (not just Induction) are the people who didn't binge on carbs even before they started low-carb eating. Maybe those people aren't really carb addicts.

So, I was reminded of Chapter 4 in the Atkins book. He talks about the 3 types of people who need to control carbs. Group A is the group with a metabolic issue- they are able to control the amount of food they eat (no binging); Group B is the carb addiction group- they are the people who binge and eat and eat and eat; Group C is the group with food allergies.

Guess what group I fall into? Group B. Perhaps CAD is for that group? What do you think?
  #130   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-16, 08:11
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycan
I read through most of this thread. It made me think about the difference between people who do Atkins or other similar diets and thrive and the people who do Atkins and spiral out of control after a few weeks. Maybe the people who thrive on the full Atkins program (not just Induction) are the people who didn't binge on carbs even before they started low-carb eating. Maybe those people aren't really carb addicts.

So, I was reminded of Chapter 4 in the Atkins book. He talks about the 3 types of people who need to control carbs. Group A is the group with a metabolic issue- they are able to control the amount of food they eat (no binging); Group B is the carb addiction group- they are the people who binge and eat and eat and eat; Group C is the group with food allergies.

Guess what group I fall into? Group B. Perhaps CAD is for that group? What do you think?
I think so..........
  #131   ^
Old Fri, May-11-18, 08:35

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

found a few goodies reading thru this thread
  #132   ^
Old Mon, Dec-14-20, 13:54

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

I know this is an old post but I just want o say thanks Zuleikaa, I am rereading old threads.

Bless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Many CAD/CALP forum members have asked me questions in various threads to which I gave some or all of the answers/explanations below. I thought it would be helpful to have them together in a new thread. Please read "Carb allergy vs Carb addiction", too.

Also, if you think the plan fits you, please by the book(s). You will refer to them many times.

CAD/CALP is a diet and life plan for carbohydrate addicts. The plan calls for 1-3 meals/snacks a day of low carb (induction level) meals, called complementary meals by the Hellers. In addition to the complementary meals allowed you are allowed one meal a day that contains carbs called a reward meal.

In the first book, CAD, the Hellers said at your reward meal you can have whatever you want, however much you want. They did make a passing mention to having a balanced meal. Of course carb addicts did not hear that and some used the reward meal as a carb binge. Carbs taken to the extreme and not in the presence of other foods can still affect insulin levels. Additionally fake sugars cause carb addicts to react as if they are true sugars.

Therefore, in the next two books, CALP and ? the Hellers clarified rules and fingered triggers, fake sugars, diet drinks, MSG, that can cause an insulin reaction and thus hunger, weight gains or stalls.

There are degrees of carb addiction and and uncontrollable appetites for carbs. However, Rachel Heller also tried Atkins and couldn't lose and even gained.

For a "true" carb addict, there is an escalating insulin surge that occurs with every incidence of eating or of the eating of carbs. Since insulin is the hunger hormone, hunger grows and grows even if you have just eaten. This chemically induced appetite can become uncontrollable.

So you see, it is the amount of carbs you eat each time but it is also the frequency with which you eat at all. Think of a superball that bounces higher each time it hits the floor. Now think of the well-meaning suggestion that you eat six times a day or that you take in more carbs.

This is why the Heller's have the various eating plans of two to four meals a day. Each carb addict needs to find his/her own eating program but no more than four times a day.

This is probably why, unknowingly, some Atkinsers refuse to leave induction even though their weight loss has stalled and their metabolism has lowered. They know instinctively and through experience that if they leave the strict carb levels of induction their hunger comes screaming back and they wind up binging.

Make sure your reward meal is balanced. That means approximately 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 of carbs (including dessert and alcohol), protein and vegetables. Also try to start your reward meal with a small salad. That way you won't get out of control. Also check your other meals for hidden carbs. Protein shakes and bars are not allowed on this diet because of possible reaction to sugar alcohols. Also diet soft drinks, sugarless gum and, in fact, all sugar substitutes are also limited due to insulin reactions. A carbohydrate addict is very insulin sensitive to sugars and sugar replacements. If you get them at your other meals, your insulin will surge and your appetite can get out of control at your reward meal. Remember insulin is the hunger hormone.

It is important to follow the one hour Reward Meal limit, that is what controls your insulin levels. You get used to it after a while. Do not stop and start your meal again later for dessert. Have your meal and then dessert. Also if you're eating in a restaurant, don't touch your beverage until your dinner comes, have them bring appetizers and entree together. When you are half done with your meal, order dessert, if you want it.

The reward meal can be moved to any time of the day for special occasions. The reward meal can also regularly be at any time of day you choose to fit with your lifestyle (business luncheons?); don't move it around except for special occasions/events. Some of my best weight loss on CAD was to have my reward meal every day for lunch. That strategy gave me a chance to work the extra carbs off through the rest of the day.

Alcohol is only allowed at the reward meal and subject to the constraints of the 60 minute limit. Beers, low carb or otherwise are only allowed at the reward meal. I think low carb beers have over 3 grams of carb/serving and are therefore restricted.

If you have cravings on CAD or have trouble stopping at your reward meal, you need to examine the non carb meals for hidden carbs. Also read "carb allergy vs carb addiction". Carbs (other than allowed foods) at non carb meals/snacks can cause insulin surges and rebound appetite/cravings. Shakes and bars are notorious for this effect in carbohydrate addicts.