Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-20, 19:31

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Keto / Low carb question

Hi. Dennis here -- I am trying to get on track (stayed low carb to some degree for 4 years and then went off the wagon -- back on now) So I'd like to do Keto but I don't like many of the high fat meats -- I like chicken breast fine but fatty thighs sound kind of gross. I don't care for fish except the occasional sardines. I do like sausage, ground beef and bacon but do you think I can get enough fats without those other meats?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-20, 21:35

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good sausage without too many chemicals, 80-85% lean ground beef (which means 20-15% fat), and bacon will provide all the fat you need and you'll do fine. Remember, when you're attempting to eliminate body and visceral fat, you don't need to purposely add additional fat to your meals other than what comes with your meat. It's just not necessary. Read Dr. Westman's recommendations regarding this, as we all have enough "on-board" fat to provide ready fuel once we're fat adapted and using fat as fuel. And, if you add too much exogenous fat (from meal sources), it will slow the burning of your on-board fat and possibly slow weight loss.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 04:23

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I think the emphasis on fat in keto is skewed because so many suffered from LOW fat for so long!

Eat what tastes good to you... and be prepared for that to change, too
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 07:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back Dennis! What Rob wrote, "Internet Keto" is confusing true therapeutic ketogenic diets that do need extra fat with LC diets for weight loss or reversing T2 diabetes. Two Dr. Westman videos on Keto mistakes (adding fat is one) and how to start Keto easily.

Three Biggest Keto Mistakes (net carbs, letting macros drive your protein, adding too much fat) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mqHJh3xEWU

How to Go Keto the EASY WAY (Tips & Tricks) Comments on macros, fasting or time restricted eating, artificial sweeteners, and much more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_bdziQZS98
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 17:03

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I was vegetarian for 14 years and still don’t like much meat. The meat i prefer is lean- deli turkey, chicken breast, shrimp.....

Yes, you can loads of fat- my favorite sources are chia and flax seeds in pudding and “bread”, loads of pumpkin seeds, nuts, and nut butter, coconut flake snacks, avocados, cheese, eggs, etc...
Doesn’t have to be meat to get enough fats if you prefer lean meats.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 19:13

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whited
Hi. Dennis here -- I am trying to get on track (stayed low carb to some degree for 4 years and then went off the wagon -- back on now) So I'd like to do Keto but I don't like many of the high fat meats -- I like chicken breast fine but fatty thighs sound kind of gross. I don't care for fish except the occasional sardines. I do like sausage, ground beef and bacon but do you think I can get enough fats without those other meats?

Thanks

What about steaks or pork chops, do you like those?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 08:07

BF:

I don't really like pork chops but I can eat like sirloin

Thanks
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 10:13

BF:

Thanks Janet for the links and everyone for the comments. Just wondering do many of you stay down to 20 carbs for the long haul or do you do kind of an Atkins approach where you increase to say 50 grams or 75 per day?

Last edited by Whited : Fri, Jan-24-20 at 20:49.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 10:23

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whited
Thanks Janet for the links and everyone for the comments. Just wondering do many of you stay down to 20 carbs for the long haul or do you do kind of an Adkins approach where you increase to say 50 grams or 75 per day?

In my case, I'm under 20 for the foreseeable future. I tried increasing, but it didn't work for me.

But then, I also have a restricted food list. You have to experiment and see what works for YOU. That's why we say N = 1.