Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 11:54

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Oatmeal

I lost a hundred pounds too quickly a few years ago and became very sick due to leaky gut die off. I went too low carb and low calorie at the same time. Have had problems with diarrhea on and off ever since. Have been eating gelatin and oatmeal now for a couple of months plus almond butter. Now I am going to try low carbing again, but may need to keep eating a small amount of oatmeal. Have just introduced back in veggies and am seeing if they digest okay. If I eat a salad it just would go through me without digesting properly, but in time I may be able to eat that kind of thing again. I read that raw oats are 13 carbs for 1/4 a cup, whereas, for instance, guacamole is 10 for a small individual container. Do you think having a small amount of oatmeal would still work? I could try flaxseed cereal instead, but I suspect it would be too rough for my system.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 13:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hello and welcome back.
Quote:
Do you think having a small amount of oatmeal would still work?
It depends on your definition of "work". Personally, I'd prioritize healing your gut - this means more strict eating. Keep the gelatin, but lose the oatmeal and other grains. I'd give up the nut butter for a while, too. Focus on plain meats, fats, eggs, homemade broth, and fermented foods like yogurt or kefir. That's how I try to eat when my gut gives me a hard time. Let it rest.

If you've had problems with raw veggies, avoid those, too. You might be safe sticking with cooked/canned/jarred/frozen-and-thawed veggies and berries. Think of them mainly as condiments; having them in small portions.

I know it's hard because those are things we were always told - even as LCers - are "healthy", but if they're not healthy for you, it doesn't matter what others say.

You'll probably have to experiment. There are some people whose guts are better off with a certain high amount of fiber from certain sources, others who have to go zero-carb, and others who find something in between. Good luck.

PS - I saw you mentioned severe asthma a while back. After I went gluten-free 10 years ago, my asthma went into complete remission. That wasn't why I tried it and it was a complete (but welcome) surprise. Not one asthma attack since, no bronchitis, no tightness, nothing.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 18:23

BF:

Wow that's amazing about how you were healed of your asthma! I am tempted to eat some bread tonight but I know I can't do it. Will have to see how it goes and adjust things accordingly. I was eating canned pumpkin (made a nice jello out of it with coconut or almond milk) over the holidays and that seemed okay but as you say I may have to go more strict....Thanks
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 18:43

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

^^^What Kristine said.

But also, this
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk_Swan
I lost a hundred pounds too quickly a few years ago and became very sick due to leaky gut die off. I went too low carb and low calorie at the same time. Have had problems with diarrhea on and off ever since. Have been eating gelatin and oatmeal now for a couple of months plus almond butter. Now I am going to try low carbing again, but may need to keep eating a small amount of oatmeal. Have just introduced back in veggies and am seeing if they digest okay. If I eat a salad it just would go through me without digesting properly, but in time I may be able to eat that kind of thing again. I read that raw oats are 13 carbs for 1/4 a cup, whereas, for instance, guacamole is 10 for a small individual container.

I don't know where the info came from about the carb counts for oats and guacamole - the oats count is fairly accurate - it's 14 g total, but 2 g fiber, for 12 g net, so it depends on if you're counting fiber or not. Some LC dieters do, some don't, just depends on what plan you're using.

On the other hand, the guacamole count seems waaaay off, because the numbers I'm seeing - well of course it depends on what size your individual container is, but I checked the little single serving cups I have, and they're only 4 g carbs (2 g fiber, so 2 g net).

Even a whole avocado only has 11.8 g carbs, but 9.2 of that is fiber, for a net of 2.6, and since guacamole is mostly avocado... well, you see where this is going, unless your little cup of guacamole as been laced with at least 8 g worth of added starch and/or sugars, 10 g carbs for a single serving cup of guac can't be right.

The little single serving cups of guacamole do have 11 g FAT though. Not that that's a bad thing at all on a LC diet - fat is important, because it provides satiety. Sometimes when someone has been used to long term low fat dieting, when they come to low carb, they're so used to checking the fat grams that they automatically look at the fat g count instead of the carb count. It can take a while to get used to checking the carb count, not the fat count.

Quote:
Do you think having a small amount of oatmeal would still work? I could try flaxseed cereal instead, but I suspect it would be too rough for my system.
Thanks

But back to your original question - if you really feel you still need the oatmeal in your diet, then that 1/4 cup of oats would be doable. You'd just need to account for the carbs in your daily total. Whether it's worth the 12-14 g carbs for you will depend on your carb allowance.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 21:39

BF:

You're right about the guacamole, I was thinking of the little hummus cups carb count! Yesterday and today are my first days low carbing again and I feel much less hungry so I'm encouraged. I ventured into cooked cabbage and onions tonight.....just have to see how it goes........thanks
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 21:53

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

IMO

Heal your gut first.

And read WHEAT BELLY . Get your hands on a copy any way you can.

Many foods can be problematic. The most likely is tomato family, and beans. Nuts.

Recently Ive read more about the chemical ways plants and seeds protect themselves. Avoiding those foods, or cooking appropriately to reduce there effect is important.

A friend stuck with broth for sometime. Ive not heard from her to learn the outcome.

The gut is fast at healing. Just need to eliminate the irrirants.

good luck
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 00:44

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

For leaky gut, stay far away from gluten (oatmeal, bread, grains).
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 11:00

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Oats are naturally gluten free. Bob's Red Mill has certified gluten free oats, meaning not processed on equipment that processes gluten grains.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 11:30
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

i have a bag of hemp heart seeds in the fridge.. people make hot cereal with it..
probably be more safer than oatmeal. but I'm no expert.. just offering this suggestion.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 11:53

BF:

Yes I read different advise on different sites regarding oatmeal but I should probably try eliminating it and other questionable items today and see how it goes. My best guess is that I get too much die off for my body to handle if I go too strict, but maybe my body is able to handle it now. It was funny, one site which looked more "traditional medicine" oriented was talking about having sourdough bread with honey for breakfast! If you have leaky gut! LOL.....

I'm going to try the hemp heart seeds and see what happens......
According to this page they are great for our health.....https://goodnessme.ca/blogs/goodnes...nd-inflammation
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 13:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

they are still a seed.

have you looked at the FODMAP list? Its an elimination list.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 13:46

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

If you really want to go LC, how about replacing the Oatmeal with eggs and bacon?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 14:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
they are still a seed.

have you looked at the FODMAP list? Its an elimination list.

Good point. I'll take a look.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 14:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
If you really want to go LC, how about replacing the Oatmeal with eggs and bacon?

That's a good idea except I can't have the bacon. I should probably give up the chicken skin too, it's just so yummy! These are things they say to eliminate for leaky gut :

Wheat-based products: bread, pasta, cereals, wheat flour, couscous, etc.
Gluten-containing grains: barley, rye, bulgur, seitan, triticale, and oats
Processed meats: cold cuts, deli meats, bacon, hot dogs, etc.
Baked goods: cakes, muffins, cookies, pies, pastries, and pizza
Snack foods: crackers, muesli bars, popcorn, pretzels, etc.
Junk food: fast foods, potato chips, sugary cereals, candy bars, etc.
Dairy products: milk, cheeses, and ice cream
Refined oils: canola, sunflower, soybean, and safflower oils
Artificial sweeteners: aspartame, sucralose, and saccharin
Sauces: salad dressings, as well as soy, teriyaki, and hoisin sauce
Beverages: alcohol, carbonated beverages, and other sugary drinks

What you can eat (depending on the site you go to):
Vegetables: broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, arugula, carrots, kale, eggplant, beetroot, Swiss chard, spinach, ginger, mushrooms, and zucchini
Roots and tubers: potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, carrots, squash, and turnips
Fermented vegetables: kimchi, sauerkraut, tempeh, and miso
Fruit: coconut, grapes, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, kiwi, pineapple, oranges, mandarin, lemon, limes, passionfruit, and papaya
Sprouted seeds: chia seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, and more
Gluten-free grains: buckwheat, amaranth, rice (brown and white), sorghum, teff, and gluten-free oats
Healthy fats: avocado, avocado oil, coconut oil, and extra virgin olive oil
Fish: salmon, tuna, herring, and other omega-3-rich fish
Meats and eggs: lean cuts of chicken, beef, lamb, turkey, and eggs
Herbs and spices: all herbs and spices
Cultured dairy products: kefir, yogurt, Greek yogurt, and traditional buttermilk
Beverages: bone broth, teas, coconut milk, nut milk, water, and kombucha
Nuts: raw nuts, including peanuts, almonds, and nut-based products, such as nut milks

In order to lose weight though I have always done best on Low Carb. Plus I know that many things listed as okay upset my digestion. You can't be eating oranges grapes or bananas, for instance, too high glycemically as well and high in carbs. I can't seem to tolerate dairy or cream, or rice etc.

Eggs with guacamole and olives sounds good though
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 14:18

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1

Spot on meme#1