Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 05:03

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Stayin under 20 grams of carbohydrate

Does anyone know how to stay under 20 gm carbohydrate a day without weighing and measuring and using a computer?

I have found that I cannot "eyeball" a food and get anywhere near its carb count

I use the computer program Diet Power to track my intake.
Without constant monitoring of the food I put in my mouth, I find I overeat carbs

Also, when I think I am eating a relatively low carb food, the computer tells me I am mistaken

How long does it take before I can be less dependent on the computer to keep me on track?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 06:00
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi Benay. The simple answer is to do the weighing and measuring for a while, then memorize what you eat all the time and do minimal measuring. Example: to make my morning coffee every day, I drank it out of identical mugs, used exactly one drop of Sweetzfree (liquid Splenda) and I have four or five Tbsp measuring spoons to measure my cream. I have to stir it anyway, no reason not to measure the cream. I also did this to save money: cream is expensive here!

If you want to rely less on your software, maybe stick to simpler foods. Janet (Jey100) posted an acronym that stuck with me, I think it comes from Dr Westman: MEAL.

Meats
Eggs
Added fats
Leaves

It would be almost impossible to go over 20 g carb on that plan. No one ever got fat eating a bit of extra lettuce or spinach. The original Atkins induction plan was a lot like this - meat, eggs, and two small salads per day.

Also, a note on your software: I don't have experience with it, but with FitDay, I have to be really careful to check the ingredients on the entries they have. Example: I tried to add "scallops, cooked." I thought the carbs looked suspiciously high. I expanded to look at the ingredients, and lo and behold, it listed milk and bread crumbs as ingredients. Not on my watch! I'm not sure how your software works, but do look into that. Be sure that your plain ingredients really are plain ingredients.

(ETA) I've often recommended to folks who hate counting and measuring (like me!) to just use the Atkins acceptable foods limits: 2 cups of salad veggies, a cup of cooked veggies, 4 oz cheese, 3 Tbsp cream, etc. If you keep your eating within those limits, it should work. Oh, another tip: mark your portions ahead of time. When you open an 8-oz pack of cream cheese, draw knife lines dividing it into 8 portions. If you open a 12-oz brick of cheddar, cut it into 12 roughly-the-same portions. It doesn't have to be perfect. It doesn't matter if you have 1.15 oz one day and 0.9 the next. It all comes out in the wash.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Dec-29-19 at 06:11.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 06:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Yup, follow Dr Westman's "page 4" you measure the 3 "cups" of vegetables by using your fist or a handful of greens. A big guy gets a bit more veg, a petite woman less. Count out 6 olives. And use one measuring tablespoon for the cream and mayo etc.

Follow the food list and it is difficult to exceed 20g. https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf The cream and the mayo limit should read 2-4 T, not a major difference, but start at 2T.

No computer needed! This is his campy old teaching video...the weekly introduction classes still work like this. https://drericwestman.blog/dr-westmans-teaching-video/

I was moaning about the guys yesterday losing large amounts quickly. Today photos were posted of a woman who lost 160 pounds! this year! and she is 65! She and her sister watched the Dr Westman video (The "white coat" teaching video above) and followed the clinic diet. Nothing fancy in her story.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Dec-29-19 at 12:42.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 07:34
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

The teaching video is so valuable. Even those who've been eating to ketosis for many years can use the information to advantage. Thanks, Janet. I now have Dr. Westman bookmarked.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 08:07

BF:

Thanks, everyone. Good suggestions.

Unfortunately, I have a "cheating gene"
and find myself unconsciously adding "a little bit of this and a little bit of that"

It surprises me at how fast the carbs add up with 3 small slices of cheddar, 1 ounce pecans, one small kohlrabi or 3 oz Jicama

This time around, I find myself hungry after eating a romaine salad even if it has been "garnished" with 3 oz ground beef

I have been eyeballing the foods you list and gained 10 pounds over the past year
Course correction needed.
At the moment weighing and measuring is keeping me honest
Just wondering how much longer it will take before I am able to judge carbs accurately again.

PS I have tried FitDay and had terrible experiences with it. Much prefer Diet Power
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 08:12

BF:

PS: Only by faithfully weighing, measuring, and keeping track with the computer have I been able to drop 8 pounds in this last month.

It is so easy to ignore carb creep until the scale slams the truth into your head.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 08:27

Yes, the carbs do add up quickly. That is why the clinic does not allow any nuts, no pecans, nor kohlrabi, a higher carb veg. What it does allow is as much ground beef as you need to be satisfied. 3 oz isn’t much. Especially as an older women, consider adding more protein to avoid sarcopenia, and delete those extras you are now weighing and measuring. Some people find dairy hinders their weight loss, and dropping any cheese could be something to try for a few months. Then you don’t even have to weight the 4oz.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 08:56

BF:

Thanks, Janet - good suggestions.

Yes, jicama has too many carbs and is now off my snack list but i still like sliced raw kohlrabi
I have found that an oz or 2 of fresh ground almond butter stops hunger quickly - especially paired with Parmesan crisps (instead of crackers) and cut back on carbs elsewhere
I have also been eating 1 oz pecans with 1 oz cheddar as a snack which does stave off hunger
I was wondering why I have not been able to get up to the 110 gm protein NANY suggests for a person my height.
2 ground beef patties instead of one from now on. Thanks.
This all takes a bit of tinkering.
Appreciate all the suggestions - I am not a cook so need easy meals with few ingredients - prefer snack type foods.

I gained 10 pounds since February, and getting back on track (losing 8 of those pounds) feels good - more in control. Just 15 more to go to get back to the weight I was in 2007.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 10:13

Beside nuts being "moreish", another Dr. Westman quote is We do not count calories, but calories count. 1 oz of pecans and 2T of almond butter is 400 calories. Why no nuts and nut butters are on the clinic diet. Especially when trying to lose the last ten or 15, these calories Really Count.

Try these meal ideas: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb.../quick-and-easy
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 10:36

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Read the "nutrition facts" or look the food up on the Internet and do the math.

I've been on fewer than 20 carbs per day for decades.

And don't cheat.

Bob
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 12:41

BF:

Thanks for the suggestions - I have read everything mentioned - have not watched the film yet. I have not printed out page 4 yet - have to put new ink in printer first

In spite of the nuts and cheese, calories are less than 1200/day. Net carbs under 20 - total carbs more like 30. Time to pay more attention to total carbs.

As I look back on 2019, I realize now why I gained. I have been dealing all year with another knee replacement that failed - which has meant constant pain in the knee and an inability to stand for very long. Ergo, meal prep has to be VERY short. So I focused on microwavables. Searched out a company that would deliver frozen food so I would not have to drive to the grocery and shop. Meals on wheels refused to come out so far in the country. A friend helped with the shopping. I still can't stand long, but long enough to prepare a salad or fry up a hamburgher patty or a steak. I am living within my abilities re food prep.

I can hear you say - but you don't have to count calories! True. But my computer does it automatically when I enter my foods and quantities. It helps me keep track of the carbs - tells me I am not getting enough protein - and calculates calories. The computer program serves as my food diary as I try to relearn what worked before when I lost the original 80 pounds on low carb. Unfortunately I have developed food intoerances since then - learned on this forum they are the lectins I dependend upon.So back to basics.

Thanks again all
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 14:07

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Maybe a big casserole would help with food prepped for a couple of days at a time.
I really love crestless quiche and it can be changed with different meats and or veggies.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...t=466969&page=1
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 18:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Maybe a big casserole would help with food prepped for a couple of days at a time.
I really love crestless quiche and it can be changed with different meats and or veggies.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...t=466969&page=1

Is it microwaveable?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 19:29

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Is it microwaveable?

It needs to bake in an oven or cooked stovetop in a cast iron skillet. Then it can be frozen in portions and warmed up in a microwave.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 21:07

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Time to learn a few kitchen basics. My children learned to fry eggs and microwave frozen veggies by 6-7 years old.... so I bet you can do the basics, too.

Adding a few herbs or spices really improves flavor of food. Look up a recipe to see what herbs and spices are used in what amounts......just takes a little practice.

suggestion--
garlic salt
onion salt
Italian seasoning

Instead of the nuts. A quick snack is a deli roll up. When my kids not allowed to cut cheese, they could open single serving lunchbox cheese. They stay fresh, yet readily available for a deli rollup. Maybe add a squirt of mustard to spice it up.