Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 13:09

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%
Question "Old" Atkins book

Hi everyone - I'm on my 4th week of induction and plan to stay here for another month at least - I have no cravings and this WOL is really suiting me. I've lost 10 lbs. since January 1 and feel so much better. The reason for this post is to ask why the old Atkins books are still on the shelves. A friend of mine is and has used the old book where she ate/eats copius amounts of cheese and cream (still loses plenty) and I'm arguing about the 4 oz. cheese limit etc. Shouldn't there just be one to avoid any confusion?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 17:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 22/22/8
BF:
Progress: 23%
Smile

I have the new book and I like it better than the old one. It is more specific. I can understand it better. Let your friend read your new one and I bet she will go buy one for herself!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 19:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
The reason for this post is to ask why the old Atkins books are still on the shelves.

We can only speculate on it 'cause only the Atkins empire would have the answer.

You may want to get in touch with atkinscenter.com on this one.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 08:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Publishing business...

As the Marketing & Communication Director for a publishing company, I can tell you that the most likely reason people find the older edition of the Atkins books on store shelves is because retailers get higher discounts on books that they purchase on a"non-returnable" basis. Many people don't know that the publishing industry operates on a returnable basis. That meaning stores can return books to publishers if they don't sell for full refund. Or they can buy products on a non-returnable basis at a deeper discount and thus a higher profit margin. With a book like Atkins, stores probably buy it mostly non-returnable because it has such a proven track record of sell through. There is little risk involved. Except when a new edition comes out and they get stuck with some left over older editions. A reputable publisher would have made some sort of special arrangement to exchange the old for the new editions, but publishers can be a bit greedy in this regard.