Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 11:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.5/142/125
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Heavy cream or not?

Would someone please share their experience with heavy cream and the induction phase. I really enjoy a cup of decaf in the morning with heavy cream but I'm wondering if this stalls weight loss. The carton says no carbs, no sugar but the carb counter on this site says there are about 6g in 1 cup. Any advise?? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 11:11

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

LowCarbRN, there are carbs in everything that isnt a lean meat or a fat (with the exception of water, I guess ) You'll run into this 0g of carbs issue a lot living south of the border. The current laws in the US permit a manufacturer to label something as 0g of carbs if a single suggested serving of the food contains less than 1g of carbs. Heavy Cream has .6g per tablespoon - using 5 or 6 tbsps adds up. When in doubt check with a trusted carb counter (either the one on this site, or something like Corrine Netzers "Complete book of food counts")

That being said, whether or not milk products are a staller for you is someting only you can say. Many of us enjoy cream in our coffee and use it in baking - for others it's a known staller. You'll have to experiment to find out.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 15:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/166/130 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up I use heavy cream in decaf

I switched to decaf coffee and heavy cream when starting induction. I believe that Atkins says on induction you can have heavy cream, but to limit it to 3-4 T a day (maybe someone can confirm that, I don't have my book with me at work). I use 2T in my thermos in the morning. It's not causing stalls yet.

Hope this helps!