Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 20:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/168/145
BF:
Progress: 43%
Post Question re: medications

I bought the book, read most of it and started the Atkins LC Induction yesterday. I understand from reading the book that it is advised to not take any unnecessary medications. My concern is this....losing weight is one of my goals. I was able to succeed at another goal which was to stop smoking six weeks ago tomorrow (hurray for me!). I was able to stop smoking by using Nicorette gum. I can't find any information concerning carbs in this gum. I feel that is is too soon for me to quit the gum for fear that I may be tempted to start back smoking.....although I really feel no desire. I have called my pharmacist and asked if they knew of the carb content of the gum but they weren't able to help me. Does anyone have any information concerning this? I definitely will stop using the gum at some point but just don't want to rush it and risk backsliding.

Also, I had an incredible headache this afternoon! I wasn't able to completely eliminate caffeine from my diet and allowed myself to have almost two cups of coffee over the course of the day to try to ease the headache. I think this is something that I will probably have to wean myself from and hopefully will be able to stick to the decaf within a week. I understand that my weight loss may take longer by having the caffeine and I am OK with that as long as I have a goal to reach and am actively persuing it.

Anyway, thanks for any responses and also thanks for all the posts that I was able to read as a "lurker" while I mentally prepared myself. I doubt you realize just how helpful you are when you share your experiences.

Twinkle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 20:47
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Twinke,

Welcome aboard. Nicorette makes sugar free chewables, that you can use, if yours has sugar.

I recommend not cutting out coffee on your first week of induction. You can do it later gradually. The reason is, starting low-carbing causes some withdrawl symptoms, that will disappear after a few days. Just make sure you drink plenty of water, and take a daily multi-vitamin plus potassium and a cal-meg.

Wa'il