Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 12:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool I've become an evangelist!!!

Hey everybody!

I don't know what's come over me! It started about a week ago - I just can't stop talking about Atkins/low carb WOL to EVERYBODY I happen to see!!

At first, I was pretty quiet about my WOL - didn't want to hear all of the "bad for you" stuff. But, the weight is coming off very well, thank you, and my energy has skyrocketed! Even on my TOM I didn't gain any weight and really felt pretty good (but don't tell the hubby that one....he still thinks I'm in terrible agony! )

I carry the DANDR book everywhere I go and have been preachin' to all who will listen - I have even "converted" a couple of people at work!

So, I guess I have finally passed the requirements for becoming a "DANDR - thumping" evangelist!!!!!

Anyone else getting "in the spirit"????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 13:21
Registered Member

Stats: 262/192/175
BF:
Progress: 80%

Up--

Isnt it a great feeling?! I absoulutely love when someone you havent seen for a while asks if you have lost weight! Thats the kind of comments that really give you the drive to succeed.

Like you, I also keep a copy of the book nearby, and have loaned it to several co-workers. As my boss likes to say, im responsible for losing 300 lbs around the office
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 13:33
Registered Member

Stats: 190/180/110
BF:
Progress: 13%

Good for you! I'm getting there, but am still a bit gunshy to talk about it to everyone. Like you were before...I just don't want to hear about how "bad it is for you..." But I want to get like you are!!

But as the weight keeps dropping...I'm becoming such a believer, and ready to "share the good news."

Keep on keepin' on!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 13:40

Stats: 194/174/120
BF:
Progress: 27%
Cool Cowardly me

I usually don't mention it, unless someone else does! People can be so negative, and I don't like to argue. (hiding behind dark glasses)
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 14:37
Registered Member

Stats: 262/192/175
BF:
Progress: 80%

I initially was embarassed of how i was losing weight, but then i decided that I would want someone to impart their knowledge on me, i just provide facts to friends/family, i dont try to pursuade anyone to take up this diet, although they really oughta!

Today i feel extra-special good for some reason!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 14:50
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Talking I know what you mean!

My doctor's nurse called me to remind me of my blood test yesterday. She notice the words "On Atkins Diet" in bold letters and which is underlined a few times. (Probably in Red)
Well anyways, She asked what kind of diet it was so I told her
about how my sugar kept jumping up and down, giving me major migraines and how I tried so many diets but only ended up gaining weight. She revealed to me that she was diabetic and was just put on a second insulin medicine and how discouraged she was on her diet which she tried so hard. So I told her what I ate on induction and on OWL, I told her about the book and how it answers alot of questions she might have. I even gave her this board's internet address
She sounded so happy, especially since she could see my blood work and see the improvements I've had since being on Atkins.
Who knew doing good deeds could be so easy?!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 08:47

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Yesterday, we had an open house at work for our clients. An ex coworker of mine showed up during this and gave me a hug and commented on how I was looking fantastic. I told him about the diet.

He gently touched my chin and turned my face side to side and said wow, you look so different. I laughed and said "Yeah, now you can see my cheekbones!" He commented "Yep and they are cute too!"

Made me feel really good for the rest of the day. I got home and was telling my hubby about it, and he said, "yeah I know, but I always have seen how cute you are".

There are things in life that can cheer you up. Then there are others that make your heart take flight.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 15:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.0/196.5/140
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default People Noticing

Amen to that AGCat,

My bf just made my day the other day when he complimented me on my loss..but, what mattered the most was that he accepts me any way I am..and wants me to love myself more than anything..

And, where is that scream girl? I am waiting here in Seattle to hear that 40 pound holler!!

Laura
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 17:55

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I am trying to find that little trollop of a whoosh fairy!

I think she is avoiding me. I am leaving Monday on a business trip so I highly doubt she will find me next week. But then again it would be a nice surprised to get home lighter than when I left
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 18:29
Registered Member

Stats: 140/119/112
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Taking a break from evangelism

I'm becoming a bit more cautious about encouraging others to try Atkins. A couple weeks ago a friend of mine who was doing great and had lost 14 lbs went to the doctor to get a UTI treated. The doctor told her that the diet is way too stenuous on the kidneys no matter how much water she drinks or doesn't drink and she would have to stop if she wanted to stay healthy.

There's a part of me that wants to put up a fight for her to educate herself and stay on Atkins, but the other part of me is saying, "Hey, don't get involved and somehow become responsible for someone else's health." Different WOL work for different people, who am I to say that Atkins could work for her?

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Thanks,
K.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 07:11

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

Kristin,

did the doctor test your friend to see if her kidneys are being stressed? Or did he/she just say that knowing your friend was following a low carb diet?

I am the type of person that questions my doctor if I don't understand why they are saying what they are saying to me.

I guess I am not cautious in telling people because I have seen proof in studies plus those on this board who have been on this WOL for years without a problem. I would never talk about anything with conviction if I did not have something to back me up.

I am not encouraging anyone to run off and tell others something if I, myself, am leary about it. Believe me, with all of the meds I am taking, I would not want anyone else to have to go through any medical problems!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 10:34
Registered Member

Stats: 215/215/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Red face Not Yet...

I am still a little shy about talking about my new WOL. I discuss it with others (my mom & sister) who have had success on the diet. I think I am waiting to have some results to show for what I have to say. I have lost a few pounds, but not too much even though it has been almost 6 weeks. Serious stall because the 6 pounds I have lost came off all at once. It is not yet noticeable.

Hanging in there

Rosi