Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-05, 12:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/220/125 Female 5'5"
BF:44/44/20
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Turtle on a cheat!

I was sort of getting used to the idea of being a turtle, but what gets to me the most is that when it comes to weight gain after a binge, hey I'm a hare! My metabolism is shot from years of yo-yo dieting and when I stick to the woe, I mostly stable my weight gain and the lbs take forever to come off. Then I get hopeless, cheat and gain weight right back and lightning speed!

Anyone else has this same issue? Anything out there can help with extremely slow metabolism? I work out at curves 3 x week, I aslo take the following supplements:
Thyrosense (for thyroid)
L-Carnitine 1000mg
CoQ10 60mg

Any advise (or words of encouragment) would be greatly appreciated!

Your fellow turtle~Patricia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-05, 21:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

instead od a cheat can you call a freind or maybe take a walk with a freind. maybe your trying to hard. do not give up, i jhave given up on myself. do not do what i do. call a freind and join other activites to make you want to get out more and spend less time at home. i need to tell my slef this too. good luck. sue
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-05, 21:18

Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

sorry about my spelling. sue
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 10:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/220/125 Female 5'5"
BF:44/44/20
Progress: 0%

Hi Sue,

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement! Maybe if you can get yourself a journal we could chat and keep each other motivated.

~Pat
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 17:25
Registered Member

Stats: 325/270/130 Female 5feet 4.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

HI Patricia1, sometimes the weightloss refuses to show itself to the scale and measuring tape, but you can believe that your body is changing, I've been at the same weight for almost 6 months but its okay because I see changes everyday. I watch pockets of fat travel up and down my body and then just disappear and later notice that parts of my body has became leaner and look better. When the scale won't budge look for other signs like clothes fitting better, rings being to large, one less chin to count, cheekbones saying hi, Crossing your legs, being to scatch your own back, and walking or climbing stairs without feeling the threat of a heartattack, and love ones hugging all of you not just part of you, so see there's thing changing all the time, calm down and slow so that you can smell all your beautiful roses. We're in our cocoons waiting to be free and beautiful butterflies, its just tskes some of us longer than others I quess we're late bloomers. Stick with it you won't
be sorry. good luck and cheering for you !

Icequeen42
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-05, 06:52
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

I'm a turtle too, and it sucks!

Like Icequeen I've pretty much been at the same weight since the middle of December. I've lost and relost the same weight over and over (and OVER) again. At least now I am bouncing between 198 & 196 (even hit 195.5 one day, woot) instead of 202 and 198. Unfortunately I have not lost many inches since then, though I have lost a little. That is probably because I really haven't done any exercise since the end of Novbemer (erk).

I lost the most weight the first 3 months after I started last May. (Yes, it's almost been a year with no cheats and no desire to quit!!!!) That was 25 lbs. Since then it's been a slow crawl and I've had to fight tooth and nail for every pound I've lost. I'll grant you that some of that is my fault, between the lack of consistent exercise and eating/overeating of things like cheese & pepperoni, but a lot of it is just that I have a screwed up metabolism that doesn't like to drop the weight.

I could wish that I wasn't a turtle, but in a weird way I'm glad that I am. I am learning much more about my body and how it reacts to foods and am really making a life change in the way I eat.

I was hoping to be down by 52 lbs by the time my year was up (in 1 month exactly) but I don't think I will make it. However I am satisfied with the 40+ lbs I have lost, that is 40 lbs I won't have to lose ever again. This year I think I am going to concentrate on making exercise a habit.

Debbie
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-05, 12:25

Plan: Atkins, modified
Stats: 235/197/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 42%

While I am new to posting, not new to LC - I see many of us get hung up at +/- 200 (i have been for 15 months). I went on to test for food allergies (eggs of course) and checking regular body functions - so far good, but I do take HRT because of hyster, so I know it will be long and slow. On the plus side, am finding as 'lc fad' fades and RTE products are no longer available I have to decide how much work I want to do; lots of resources if you can spare the cooking time! I think sugar alcohols are not great, and recently found out Splenda is allergy of mine. Oh well. Happy to buddy up with anyone wanting to. Hoping to slowly shrink!!
Johanna
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-05, 19:37

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Hi, I've been at the same weight for close to a year, after losing 20 pounds in the first year. Definitely perimenopause is not the best time to decide to lose weight! But at least I'm not gaining!
I eat basically whole foods without wheat/gluten 99% of the time. I have a mild allergy to cow's milk whey, and egg whites, and always could have them in moderation with not trouble. I've tried going without them completely and didn't lose or feel better, so it's not worth the restriction for me.
I went on a candida diet for awhile, and it did make a difference, so I do take antifungals and probiotics on an ongoing basis.
After 2 years of doing great on low carb, energywise, I started not feeling so great, and have been diagnosed as hypothyroid. Anyone who is hypothyroid should be careful about going too strictly low with the carbs. I eat fruit, rice, quinoa, and beans in moderation nowadays. I feel better if I eat lots of salad and veggies.
I'm taking armour thyroid, and hopefully, everything will stabilyze soon. I think there's not a gland in my body right now that knows what's going on!
After a year of not losing weight, lately I've been told by several friends that I've lost weight recently, (and my clothes are fitting better), so I know I'm continuing to benefit with this woe.
Hope this info helps-I especially recommend going after the candida & hypot issues, and don't go too low with the carb restrictions after the first few months. Better to progress to mod-low carb and less calories after awhile. At least that's my impression from reading about many perimenopausal lcers who post in this forum.~Gail