Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 16:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 157/155/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default how are you turtles doing?

I don't see very many recent posts. Have you given up or am I just not looking in the right place? I need the encouragement. As I posted in my intro, I have a 17 yr old daughter graduating this spring, a 13 yr. old daughter who loves to swim ( and wants me to go with her) and a gorgeous 19 mo. old son who I want to be active with and not hurt or have problems getting off the floor. Anyway, it is hard to stick to it. I love sweets and chex mix and cappuccino.... you get the idea!! Please keep me accountable. I am ready to quit but know I feel better doing this than eating crap!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-05, 02:14

Plan: sugar bad, gluten worse
Stats: 230/191/160 Female 65 inches
BF:too/too/much
Progress: 56%

the thing with turtles is, you are so close to the ground, it's hard to tell what kind of progress you are making until you look up. i use to be stalled at 203, now i'm stalled at 201. but i've consistently lost an inch or two from my waist every month. so weightwise not so much progress, but sizewise, not too bad. try to find substitute for the stuff you crave, nuts or fried cheese instead of chex, sugar free sweets. if you have the right things in the fridge and around the house, it makes staying away from the bad things soooo much easier.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 20:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I had to laugh at Babe's post...I used to be stalled at 170, now I am stalled at 168. I exercise a lot (cardio and strength training) and I do feel I am seeing improvements in my shape, but I have to be verrry patient about scale loss.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 10:12

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

I was stuck at 180 for months, with ups and downs, and just in the last few days have started to move only downward. I was holding off posting about it to see if it continues. What I did is started on treatment and diet for candida, and after a few days of feeling negative and emotional, I feel better and have lost a little every day. So, I don't know if dropping dairy has made the difference or if I do have systemic candida. I was diagnosed with yeast infection and just finished with that treatment. Since I had no symptoms for yeast overgrowth during the time I was stalled, and just recently got the localized infection, I suggest that as part of problem shooting in a stall. I sure didn't think I had candida. Oh, and if I continue to lose and feel that is the solution, you'll all hear about it for sure. --Gail
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 10:42

BF:

Thanks, Gail--candida is certainly one of the problems Dr. Atkins places a lot of emphasis on in his books, and one that is hard for most of us to get a grasp of, or see why it would affect weight loss.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 15:23

Plan: To Stay Sane
Stats: 275/239.4/224 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 70%

I'm beginning to feel like this is where I'm meant to be -- a size 14, between 180 and 195. I can't seem to get below 180, but boy oh boy can I get above 195 if I let myself. Argh.

I know it's slow moving for some of us. I just try to set mini goals (like the bryan adams concert) and try to focus on the FEELING I get with this WOE and no other... You HAVE to keep your motivation or those temptations will soon be in your hand and in your mouth and then you gotta start all over again. Vicious damn cycle.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 15:31

BF:

There is definitely something to be said for the feeling of control within realistic boundaries--boundaries that aren't so strict they drive you crazy or leave you hungry.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 16:19

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I know all about long stalls!!! I'm a charter member of the turtle club. I've been in this stall so long - over a year no matter WHAT I do - I may as well be in maintenance.

I'm not giving up yet. Additional tweaks to come.

We need to support each other in our efforts. It's frustrating to be a turtle but we're getting there...... One step, one # and one inch at a time.

Julie
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 08:20

BF:

Hi turtles. I thought I would check in and celebrate the slow progress of the last year. I have lost about 18 pounds since this time last year, taking me from 182 to 164. It has really made a big difference in how I look and how my clothes fit. And yet sometimes during this past year I felt I was losing no weight at all. I went for a few months at a time with no drop, just gaining and losing the same 2 or 3 pounds. I even took two months off last winter to do a metabolic tune up (from Curves) hoping that afterward I would lose faster again (I didn't). But the moral of it all is that I kept plugging away and did better than just maintain.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 00:02

BF:

Hi, well, I am still stalled but feeling optimistic. I just (finally) was put on armour thyroid even tho my blood test comes back normal. That was less than a month ago, and I've been out of town twice (which blows my healthy eating), but I am losing inches. As soon as I lose water weight from this last trip I'll weigh myself again.
I'd advise anyone who has the sluggishness and weight gain of hypothyroid to call around and find a Dr. who works with Hypothyroid patients who show up normal on the blood tests. There are some who work with symptoms, rather than relying solely on test results.
I'm feeling really good, and it's been because of the thyroid help, treatment for candida, and avoiding grains. I'm hoping weight loss follows. If it doesn't, I'm still way ahead with quality of life.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 08:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, ditto on the hypothyroid, but as important, IMHO, is to have the entire hormonal picture looked at. I found a doctor who does bio-identical and natural hormone replacement therapy (look for longevity clinics). I really think its helping my pokey metabolism!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 09:14
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

Hey, fellow turtles...just found this thread...your thoughts and experiences are encouraging to me. My tape measurements haven't moved in 2.5 months, and my weight hasn't moved in a month. Very discouraging, as I'm sticking to low carb fairly closely. If I 'cheat' or overeat, it's only on LC stuff. I've never exceeded 40 net carbs a day. Everyone keeps telling me to hang in there, it'll move. I started exercising a week ago in hopes of getting things moving - and - I stopped weighing myself every day. Once a week should be sufficient. BUT - when I look in the mirror, I feel and look fatter than ever.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 21:41

BF:

Well, I might as well jump back in here. I thought my stall was from candida problems, then thyroid issues, now I'm on isocort for adrenal exhaustion. I think all three issues were important for me to address, especially getting thyroid and adrenal support together. I'm also rotating food I have a mild allergy to. I'll find this thread in a month or so and report back, hopefully with good news. ~Gail
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 21:42

BF:

Thanks for checking in, Gail. It will be good to hear your results.