Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-17, 09:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / South Beach
Stats: 265/246/185 Male 71 inhes
BF:
Progress: 24%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I offer him what I tell my boys, whom he knows well, and one standing next to him. Pinch an inch. An inch of fat, in the side. That is goal.

The two boys look at each other.....my son cannot pinch an inch and has a 4 pack belly.....could gain a little fat... and his friend at the same weight doesn't reach his shoulder....they laugh....

IMHO pinch an inch always is valid and ditches the useless, IMO, BMI system.

Last thought, the newest medical info indicates that how much fat we carry is not as important as other issues like HDL and HDL with total cholesterol, trigylcerides, and blood pressure. Body fat is not the best indicator of risk of heart attack as it used to be. ANd us on low carb WOL are likely to beat a heart attack.

Would like to see a study for us LC eaters and stroke/ heart attack rates.

Just my 2 cents.

Yep You are describing a very basic version of body composition analysis by caliper measurement. With a $5 caliper and 20 minutes of training, anyone can get consistent and relatively accurate estimates of body fat percentage on a wide variety of body types. While the body fat % may not be spot on, if the person doing the measurement is careful to assure good technique with each measurement, you can get very good tracking of trends up or down in body fat. Really, does it matter as much that your body fat is 14% or 16% or is it more important that it is less than it was when you checked a month ago. Perfect, no, but still far more useful and accurate than BMI, even those modified BMIs that include waist, wrist or other measurements. Bioimpedence (electronic devices such as scales or handheld units, some have four contacts to cover all limbs) are also relatively accurate but can be skewed by fluid and electrolyte abnormalities such as dehydration or hyponatremia (low sodium). Still better than BMI as an indicator of body composition.

Our understanding of cholesterol, HDL, LDL and triglycerides is also evolving. While HDL is still "good" its role may not be what we thought it was. We have always thought of HDL as the scrubber of arterial plaque, which it may do to some degree, but it is becoming apparent that another role of HDL is as an indicator of a healthy lifestyle. Most people with high HDL (there are always genetic anomalies) lead an active lifestyle with good nutrition, including low simple carb consumption and an appropriate balance of fats and micronutients. People with low HDL and elevated LDL tend to be more sedentary with a high simple carb and inappropriately balanced fat intake (think donuts . . . no wait . . . don't think about donuts ). So there is controversy over how much of the benefit is due to the HDL itself and how much is due to the otherwise healthful lifestyle of which it is an indicator. Another player that is being strongly considered as a cardiovascular villain is inflammation (C-reactive protein is one test for it) which seems to work in conjunction with LDL, especially VLDL, to create vascular plaques. There are many sources of inflammation including diet and infection (this is why they are looking closely at the link between dental health and cardiovascular health, poor dental hygiene and care may be a portal for chronic inflammatory infections). Aspirin has long been used for people with high cardiovascular risks. It inhibits platelet aggregation (clot formation) but now its anti-inflammatory properties are also considered beneficial. (Aspirin therapy also carries risks, so talk to your physician before starting an aspirin regimen).

Triglycerides and their role in the development of metabolic syndrome are also getting much more attention than they used to. A decade or two ago, triglycerides were "that other number" on your cholesterol test. Now, triglyceride levels and A1C are considered just as important as the cholesterol levels in predicting and lower the risk of cardiovascular events.

Some good news is that we are figuring out that dietary fat and cholesterol play much less of a role in elevating total cholesterol and LDL than previously believed and dietary control of cholesterol levels may be better accomplished through lowering dietary simple carbs and transfats, combined with appropriate physical activity. To quote James Brown "Get Up Offa' That Thing "
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-17, 10:44

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Way back in this thread I posted a photo of my son on his wedding day when his BMI put him at a “overweight, borderline obese” category despite his 32-inch waist and size medium shirt.

This is his oldest son whose BMI also puts him in an overweight category. My DiL claims they must just have very heavy bones!