Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-20, 12:37

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots

On a side note, I've just finished reading a new book by Bill Bryson titled The Body. If you know Bill Bryson, he writes charmingly and with considerable research on random popular subjects. In this case, the subject is everything ever discovered about...us. But guess what? A short way into this book, I began to notice that on nearly every page, some phrase appeared such as: medical science has yet to learn, it's a mystery, nobody knows, this turned out to be mistaken, research has yet to prove....

But we knew that, didn't we?? Our n=1 experiments, along with guidance and suggestions from knowledgeable people on this forum and elsewhere, produce the only results that count: better health for yours truly.

So...modern medicine? Take it with a grain of salt. Likewise what you read here. Balance out science with experience.

And healthy new year!

His book “a walk in the woods” is one my favorites. Will have to check this out

I have a client (I work in treatment of obesity) who has been citing one small study to me for YEARS (as a way to justify why he has never tried a low carb diet and instead endlessly gets on starvation plans he creates himself then binges and gives up....).:this study found equal weight loss in subjects given 1000 calories per day of straight carbs vs protein vs fat.
This drives me crazy as while I believe some people can be successful long term on low fat plans, there still should be a plan of some kind. Does not have to be low carb, although I feel low carb has many advantages in terms is sustainability, reduction of appetite, other health benefits.... but at end of day, I just need person to stick to a plan and most adults do better when given autonomy over these kinds of decisions.
A 1000 calorie plan obviously isn’t sustainable for anyone, and no eats just one macronutrient! So who cares what study found? Also body will behave differently when being starved vs in a calorie deficit.

He argues (he is a doctor) that there just isn’t enough double blind evidence to argue against gluten (in particular). I always say that I agree, as nutritional research is fraught with erroneous conclusions due to the difficulty of doing double blind research.
But at end of day, does it matter if it is the gluten per say or some other component in wheat that causes so many digestive issues, inflammation, are addictive and promote overeating and obesity? If we can agree removing improves these things (he agrees there is enough evidence there), we need to just take leap of faith, it is SOMETHING in grains be it gluten or another possible factor.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-20, 19:30

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Kudos to those who can handle going straight to induction level carbs, but everyone does it differently.

I cut out sugar first, although I only did it that way hoping that with the massive amount of sweets I had been eating, cutting out just the sugar would be enough to fix things, especially since cutting out sugar cut out a lot of sugar-starch combo foods too. (cookies, cake, donuts, muffins, granola, etc)

Later on, I cut out the rest of the starchy foods.

You just do it the way that works for you.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 01:52
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I did it that way, too. I was reading "Protein Power" from the library, and the first thing I did was just cut the blatant sugary junk food. I started subbing LC for HC at meals: I switched from making a giant pot of pasta to half pasta and half broccoli/cauliflower. My ex loved veggies, so it was pretty easy. I had to teach myself to cook at the same time. It's been a long road.
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 05:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I had to teach myself to cook at the same time. It's been a long road.

I did too, though now I just grill something or make a deli sandwich (with coconut wrap)
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-20, 08:56

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

I've been maintaining my weight loss for almost 7 years at this point, which means I've beat the odds/am a statistical oddity. Within those years I experimented with various eating protocols, to see what way of eating made maintaining the easiest. ALL of the things I tried though revolved around counting/tracking/weighing out portion sizes etc. All the the programs were based on the concept of manipulating calories, even if they didn't advertise that.

And I did maintain, but it progressively got harder and harder the further along I went. By the time I hit my 6 year anniversary last spring I was completely burned out. I was re-gaining weight again and my mental health was in a bad place-the constant thinking about food/calories/numbers/tracking had become obsessive and unhealthy.

Walked away from all of it and decided to experiment with lower carb, and have now been low carb for almost a year, with most of that time focused on being mostly animal based. The difference has been shocking-for the first time in years of maintenance, I'm doing it with no effort or struggles. I'm eating whenever I want, eating to satiety without having to stop while still hungry, I no longer track/count anything, I no longer use a food scale for the first time in years, and I no longer think about food all the time.

I do think different things work for different people, but being very low carb/almost zero carb, has completely changed maintenance for me and I finally feel that I've found a sustainable plan that will work for me, for the long term