Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-10, 21:32

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Unsure of Myself

Hi I have spent the weekend set up at a flea market. I'm dirty, tired and not hungry. Why, because I ate way to much of everything and I'm not talking about LC. I was just getting into ketosis when I left for the market.

I am wondering if low carb is the right way to go for me. I hate to say it, but I feel lazy and seriousely lacking willpower. I am having seriouse problems sticking with LC, I'm bored with my choises, I'm fussy because HB gets a burger on a real bun(oopsies are nice, but not a real bun). They get fries with real ketchup, and they get ice cream every now and then. I had potatoe salad, and tacos, I love them!

I am beginning to think that a moderate carb, lower fat, low 1200-1500 calories may sound like a good idea. But, I'm not really sure how to go about it without going crazy on the carbs and to actually loose some weight.

I lost all my weight 5 yrs ago, after my daughter was born. I breast feed, walked(alot) and watched my calories. Can I do that again(minus the feeding part)?

I will admit that I binge when I am bored. I will do it on LC also, I have to keep my hands and mind buisy. Its hard though, because sometimes you just want to sit down and veg.

Any ideas on how I can moderate carb? Any ideas at all would be great!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-10, 03:07

Plan: Atkins (+m&e)
Stats: 320/310/190 Female 5ft  11"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hey
Well I started out having mainly vegies and fruit and rolled oats for breaky.Bear in mind it is nearly the end of our winter here so hence the hot breaky!
I did good for WL by not having bread the first two mths.The I had abit of basmati rice( I always measured my cups so I knew just how much I was having.I now have 2 slices wholemeal bread some days .
When you are counting caloires or pints you do have to watch your portionsize and be aware of the all too eay,'portion distortion'
Try to keep to whole foods and fruits and vegies/meat/fish/chicken salad etc .I use whatever is in season for fruit and veg and try not not over do the protein though I I do make sure I have enough so I am not losing muscle. I still can enjoy a wholesome hamburger homemade if I want, and the chips too BUT I cook my own chips and I bake them with spray and herbs or whatever spice I feel like.Just as tasty as other chips and you can have that 1 T of sauce or a dash of mustard if you choose. It really does not take that long to peel your potatos and make your own.
If fit is any help I am journalling my foodmost days. You might find my eating abit boring though
The odd time I feel like a snack or want something to have with my pills, I have afew sesame crackers or 1/2 c LF natural yoghurt which I make.Might add some fruit to it on occasion.
Watch the sugar though.I don't add sugar!
Good luck, I Am sure you will make it work as you are more active than I
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-10, 04:12

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 202/175/150 Female 5ft3 / 63in
BF:
Progress: 52%

I don't mean this nastily at all, but to follow ANY weight loss plan, lifestyle or diet change, even giving up cigarettes or alcohol - you have to really, really want it. In my opinion, it's not a question of boredom, but setting yourself a goal and doing everything you can to reach it.

If you would rather have "real fries", "real ketchup", than stick to your plan, its always our choice at the end of the day.

I know it can be a hard decision, I have to do this every day too. But I want to change my body more than anything right now, and so I resist as much as I can, and its getting easier each time. Now that I eat low-carb, I don't get hungry between meals before. If you are getting cravings, then perhaps there is a food you are eating which is causing this?

Again, I don't mean to offend, just giving my honest opinion. I wish you luck whatever you decide to do!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-10, 19:52

BF:

I do wonder sometimes if I want it bad enough, then I wonder whats wrong with me, I hate being overweight. Then it seems soo hard and overwhelming to me. I'm not usually a whinner, but thats the way I feel.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-10, 09:07

BF:

I did really well yesterday with mod. carb, didn't have any trouble till late. The kids pizza was still on the table, I could have just put it away, but nope, I ate it. Oh, well, I plan on eating right today, I have walked 3 mls this morning too!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-10, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 140/135/110 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

i don't know what your sleeping habits are like, but i notice that when i'm sleep deprived (even more than usual!).... i am more tired and my willpower goes down the drain.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-10, 13:45

BF:

Your right, the more tired I am, the harder it is to avoid the junk. I always say I'm going to bed early, but that just never happens.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 09:02
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
there are other plans where you can still be LC and eat the foods you want. I am on a plan called Carb Addicts Lifespan Program (CALP)- we have our own thread in the forum. We eat basically 2 meals a day that are just protein and veggies, and one meal a day that is protein/veggies and a carb. The carb can be anything. Come on over and read some of the posts and see what you think-
E
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 09:39

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I am on a 1400 calories plan and it gets easier after the first 2 weeks.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-10, 00:35
Registered Member

Plan: The Belly Fat Cure
Stats: 255/218/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

You might want to read up on The Belly Fat Cure by Jorge Cruise. It allows you up to 120gm carbs a day, but limits sugars to 16 gm daily. I posted a little more about it on the low glycemic thread. Might give you enough carbs to feel satisfied and still allow you to lose weight. I too get bored with strict low carb, but do know that's what I lose weight on the best. The Belly Fat Cure sounds like something that I would lose weight very slowly on, but might be easier for me to stick to long term and maintain on.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-10, 07:33

BF:

I raised my carbs to 60 - 100 daily and the cravings got to me, I began binging daily. So, I believe the only way for now, for me to get away from the cravings is to eat VLC. I have been eating this way for 6 days now without any problems. I have a recipe for LC bar-b q sause and am using Oopsie rolls in place of bread.

The weight is not coming off easily at all, I've only lost 3 lbs of water this week, but I hate the cravings and hate what the binging does to me.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 19:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/265/195 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Here is my solution: Learn to cook low-carb treats!

I remember how difficult it was for me to stick to a low-carb diet the first time I tried 5 yrs ago. However this time it is super easy! The only difference is that I've learned to cook:

Rasperberry muffins : 2 carbs each
Flax and cheese crakers: 0.5 carb each
Flax brownies: 3 carbs each
Homemade Doritos: 0.4 carb each chip
Cheese chips: 0.2 carb each chip
Bread: 3 carb each slice
etc...

Besides that every sunday I prepare celery sticks and cauliflower bits for dipping in creamcheese during the week when I have a snack attack.

I switched from beer to white wine.

I prepare homemade Ice-tea with splenda.

I grind flaxseeds myself for Omega oils. Flax makes a great flour substitute.

I make my own Atkins baking mix with Soy protein (or whey), Soy flower, and baking powerder

I can pretty much eat all that and still end-up below the 20-30 carbs/day mark. Cooking makes it SO EASY.

Good luck and cook up a storm!