Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 01:04

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%
Default Anyone have a bad back?

I injured my back earlier this year (lifting something too heavy, too many times, while walking fast over a long distance...for about 15 minutes before YEOWWW)

Anyway, I have spondylolesthesis and degenerative disc disease. Just wondering if anyone else has something similar and can give me some beginner's advice re: strengthening/conditioning.

Right now I do a few stretches my physical therapist prescribed, walk a brisk 30 minutes, and use a machine called the Torso Track. Wondering what else I can do that won't be harmful. I'm not supposed to twist or run/jump.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 12:05

Plan: My Own Low Carb thing
Stats: 353/303.8/199 Female 5'9"
BF:Yeah I got some...
Progress: 32%

I have a bad back and have to be careful of what I do too...I do a bit of yoga (not the thing that would hurt) for warming up, it helps alot and I hope will help stretch my back a bit...but i just started....so i dunno...I do alot more core and arm exercises from some apps that I downloaded from the Android Market...they are fun because i can choose 5 or 10 min workouts.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 17:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/115/115 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was diagnosed with a grade 3 spondylolesthesis about 5 years ago. I used to play soccer (25+ years) and run, but now am limited to walking. To keep my back in shape and the pain to a minimum, I do yoga and pilates at home, as well as regular visits to my chiropractor.

The yoga DVD that has been a lifesaver for me is "Yoga Zone: Yoga for a Strong & Healthy Back." I bought this on Amazon. It is very gentle and simple, but very effective in keeping my back limber and stretched. One of the instructors is rather irritating, but I've grown so used to it now I don't even notice! I also really like the Core Fusion series: Pilates Plus, Body Sculpt, and Thighs & Glutes. These are more intense than the yoga DVD, but are great at keeping your "core" strong. I'm in the process of ordering their Yoga DVD.

As long as I regularly do the DVDs, my back doesn't give me too much trouble. Most important is keeping my core strengthened. I'm more interested now at my age (50+) of keeping my flexibility, rather than being "buff". I also walk the dog about 5 days a week, about 2-3 miles each time. Regular sit-ups (crunches) are a no-no for me, as well as riding a bicycle (think of your back hunched over like a "C"). I've been told that I could ride a recumbent bicycle, but I haven't been willing to spend the $$ yet.

I've been on a carb-restricted diet for a year now (for my cholesterol issues), and losing the 15 lbs. or so that were mostly around my waistline has really improved my back mobility as well.

Hope this helps!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-11, 22:01

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Yes, I lost 19-something pounds while off work for 8 weeks and I am sure that made a big difference.

I started a gym log and I'm already a day behind on it! I'll catch up tonight.

My PT today gave me some more exercises - weighted leg lifts, on side and on stomach. Yippee! I'm not being sarcastic, either. I want to build up.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 07:02
Registered Member

Plan: paleo/primal
Stats: 207/202/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi - I already responded in your gym log but will add here too.

I also have DG disease (was diagnosed at 26). I'm now almost 38 and have had trouble on and off with pain and such. But I've learned a LOT along the way and I have some tips for you should you choose to follow them. LOL

- Drink LOTS of water. Our discs are composed almost completely of water. Being dehydrated even slightly can aggravate DG. Drinking caffenated beverages does not hydrate you at all. Now I do drink coffee and diet soda, but I make sure that I have enough water as well. Over the years I've really tested this out and trust me it will help some if you are not getting enough water. Just think of it like this (for every coffee or soda you drink, drink a tall glass of water). Then try and actually reduce some of the caffeine by adding more water. I'm just assuming you drink these things, you may not so this may or may not help.

- Do your Supermans and crunches. This is just as big if not bigger than the water thing. For me anyway. If you let your core get weak you are setting yourself up for worse trouble.

Ever since I had my back surgery to remove one disc and repair the other, I take this stuff seriously. I rarely have back pain anymore at all now and it's because of these 2 things. Now if I could drop more weight I know that will greatly help also.

Best of Luck,
Banjo
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-11, 13:38

Plan: Atkins BSCP/Paleo
Stats: 225/192/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

I have spondylolisthesis too, and Pilates has been very helpful for me.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-11, 13:43
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Me 3!

I've talked about it from time to ime in my journal.

It was so bad at one point that I was wearing a TENS unit 18 out of every 24 hours.

Go take a peek in Frecks OLD journal.

I just gave her some suggestions this week on some yoga DVDs to start off with (some of my favorites that I still use, 5 years+ later)

Plus--yoga gives you awesome looking guns and an exceptionally well-toned back
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-11, 19:40

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 257/235/140 Female 64
BF:44.1/40.3/24
Progress: 19%

My physical therapist used core strengthening exercises, in addition to the use of a recumbent stepper. As certain activities such as sweeping and vacuuming can aggravate back pain, he recommended doing those activities in 15 minute intervals followed by a break.

Another activity that caused problems for me was standing for extended periods when washing dishes or folding clothes. He suggested that I use a small stool to put one foot on, and it made a huge difference in my standing endurance.

I sleep in a partial side/tummy position, and would wake up with severe back spasms. Since I started using a body pillow, this hasn't been an issue.

Hang in there with the PT, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised after a couple of months!