Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-19, 10:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Several years ago when my mother was living in an Independent Living facility, I accompanied her to breakfast in the dining room. What they were being served was horrifying with french toast, bagels, cereal with fruit and skim milk, occasional eggs from a carton with no yolks, no salt, no breakfast meats, and plenty of faux maple syrup. I had a cup of coffee. Great for the Independent Living facility as this stuff is cheap, but not great for the residents, most of whom were convinced they were eating very healthy meals. It's news and dietary changes like this that confuse the hades out of people who are willing to comply with the new normal thinking they are doing the right thing. The captive populations in schools, company cafeterias, and senior facilities are hostages in this nutritional wasteland.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-19, 11:38

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Several years ago when my mother was living in an Independent Living facility, I accompanied her to breakfast in the dining room. What they were being served was horrifying with french toast, bagels, cereal with fruit and skim milk, occasional eggs from a carton with no yolks, no salt, no breakfast meats, and plenty of faux maple syrup.

The elderly are a whole other challenge.
  • Dental issues, trouble swallowing, general muscle weakness makes them favor mushy foods
  • low stomach acid is rampant, from medications to control gastric distress or the lack of challenge in their digestion by eating few protein foods
  • medications for metabolic syndrome plus medications to control side effects screw up their appetites
  • age and poor health dulls taste buds and makes them fussy about textures
  • if they have mental or mood issues they will crave comfort foods
  • Basic dietary goals becomes "getting them to eat SOMETHING" much as it is with any treatment, like chemo, that disrupts appetite
  • many elderly lose mental flexibility and regress to childhood eating patterns
  • The needs of the many will outweigh the needs of the few: if enough people can only eat mush, everyone gets mush

A bizarre offshoot of Elder Care is how it has crept into verterinary science. So many vets say fat cats should “eat less and move more” and my vet wants to lower my eldery cat’s protein, when they need it more than ever because less efficient digestion means he’s not getting as much protein as when he was younger.

Does not bode well for us older folk unless we can change the mindset. Of course, I am hoping that eating this way helps me “drop in harness” rather than the slow horrible decline we see so many dealing with.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 06:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Additional response from the CCTN

https://www.dietdoctor.com/commenta...-new-food-guide

Quote:
The highly-active Canadian Clinicians for Therapeutic Nutrition (CCTN) is at it again.

Doctors from CCTN, which represents more than 4,500 physicians and other health providers across Canada who use a low-carb or ketogenic approach to help improve patient health, have penned a reasoned commentary for a major Canadian paper about their concerns over the “one best diet” promoted in the new Canadian food guide.

Vancouver Sun: Is Canada’s new food guide a pathway to health for most Canadians? https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op...-most-canadians

While applauding the many improvements in the guide — such as a focus on healthy eating behaviors and the reduction in sugars and processed foods — they are concerned about the government promoting a plant-based diet as “the best” for all Canadians. This lower-fat, higher-carb dietary pattern, they say, is not ideal “for the estimated 88 percent of us who are already metabolically unhealthy.”

Instead, they recommend a more flexible approach:

A valid nutritional option for all Canadians would be to eat a whole food diet with minimal sugar and refined foods, and to eat whole food sources of carbohydrate in accordance with one’s individual carbohydrate tolerance.

#19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 10:40

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
I can't believe I found this paper on the relationship between dietary fiber and plasma levels of testosterone and estradiol.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/artic...2/1/127/4691587

Spoiler: The more fiber, the lower those hormones. See the last sentence in the abstract:
Lemme give you a very different implication, from the comfort of my chair right here. Men become less manly. Women become less womanly. Now start this process at a young age and continue throughout one's lifetime.

So, how much fiber is that fancy new food guide telling us to eat again? Paper published 1985. I've never heard anything of the sort from anybody anywhere ever. Ever. It's news to me and I'm pretty sure it's news to everybody else on this forum.

Getting rid of those nasty sex hormones is one of the things folk like McDougall and Ornish boast about for their diets. Sort of harkens back to the original, sugar free versions of granola and graham crackers that were supposed to prevent early blindness and furry hands in young men.

They take the tack that lower sex hormones equals less cancer, though. Taking all the joy out of life is more of a side-benefit for them.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-19, 05:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

how are Canadians suppose to survive the polar vortex without sex hormones? Trapped inside trying to stay warm...nutrient dense meat might come in handy.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-19, 12:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

The precipitating event of my health collapse was a surgical procedure to remove a cystic ovary (because I put my food down, they wanted it ALL, I researched and refused for exactly that reason) and laser for endometriosis.

This suddenly and drastically shut down my female hormone production. No gradual adjustment here! It was essentially "surgical menopause." Exactly what I was trying to avoid, but theoretically these organs can "wake up" after the trauma wears off.

They did not discuss that this could happen. I had to grope around on my own figuring it out, and then had to shoot flame from my eyes to get replacement hormones, because they wanted to give me Prozac instead.

These replacement hormones are artificial, they didn't work that well, and then they stopped working.

All of this created a long and harsh lesson in just how much mayhem is created when these hormones go missing.