Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 12:16

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

You should have read on.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-dosa

rice and lentils have been substituted it appears. Snazzy grab/headlines can get confusing.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 03:16

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I doubt seriously I would ever make dosa anything. Keto or not. I found coconut wraps far too high in carbs to use them.

If this is the top recipe, I see no point signing up to receive more of the same.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 05:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Is it possible that weight gains while eating at or less than 20 total grams carb/day may be due to overeating fats?

It might not be the fat. Some of those carbs might be in foods which create an inflammatory reaction, fluid retention, and distress in the body which interferes with weight loss.

I rededicated to 20 a day in a quest to lose 10-15 pounds, and my health. I was astonished to find so much of what I was eating was, in fact, bad for me. I only figured this out with an elimination diet.

NOT taking foods out. Going all the way down to beef only, and THEN adding foods in one at a time.

To be pertinent to your original question: this wound up with me losing FORTY pounds and being much healthier.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 07:55

BF:

Wear Bear - great results!

I was just on the Dr Jason Fung website where I was immediately confronted with a questionnaire on my current weight, height, age, activity and my desired weight goal.

Results of questionnaire - if I followed his plan I would lose 15 pounds down to my desired weight by the end of the month!

Someone is dreaming out there!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 07:59

BF:

You have everything to lose 😂
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 09:08

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Wear Bear - great results!

I was just on the Dr Jason Fung website where I was immediately confronted with a questionnaire on my current weight, height, age, activity and my desired weight goal.

Results of questionnaire - if I followed his plan I would lose 15 pounds down to my desired weight by the end of the month!

Someone is dreaming out there!

If someone is transitioning from a high carb diet, it's pretty normal to see bigger drops the first few weeks/month, due to a mixture of fat loss and water loss. I was already a pretty lean weight when I transitioned to low carb, and lost around 5lbs the first few days, and that was just reducing carb intake to around 100g net carbs a day, so not even really low carb.

For someone who's heavier, a 10lb or more drop in the first few weeks seems pretty typical. Fung is cashing in on that by claiming his plan will get those results, but really any low carb diet that's greatly reducing someone's carbs, along with the calorie restricting that's also taking place with the dietary changes, will most likely produce the same results.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 10:08

BF:

Daisy- Dawn
I have been strictly low carb since the end of November
Weight lost as of today - 10 pounds
a daily 14 hour fast
AND I am 86 years old

I entered in all this data and still was promised a 15 pound weight loss by the end of this month

May be true for a 20's or 30's but not for a sedentary 86!

I am tired of all these promises on all these websites
For me, they are unrealistic and discouraging.
The do not entice me to follow their program

Plus, today, i did a waist measurement and have gained 2 inches!

Talk about discouraging!

These intros are designed to have people sign up for their program including menus and recipes. If I had a live-in cook, the meals plans and recipes might be of interest.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 16:28

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Sometimes its hard to find a fit. My mom is 85 and very active. Keeps house , gardens, travels, etc between bouts of health issues ( broken foot, cancer, etc) She cooks wonderful meals , just for herself. And surprizingly she has sliwly dropped pounds, back to her original weight which in her mind is when she got married. She looks great. But her body is not the same outline as then. Thats ok. She is busy busy busy.

If you can, increase activity until "sedintary" is a thing of the past. Mucsle uses a lot of energy even when sleeping.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 18:07

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
... If this is the top recipe, I see no point signing up to receive more of the same.

Fair enough!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-20, 04:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Sometimes its hard to find a fit. My mom is 85 and very active. Keeps house , gardens, travels, etc between bouts of health issues ( broken foot, cancer, etc) She cooks wonderful meals , just for herself. And surprizingly she has sliwly dropped pounds, back to her original weight which in her mind is when she got married. She looks great. But her body is not the same outline as then. Thats ok. She is busy busy busy.

If you can, increase activity until "sedintary" is a thing of the past. Mucsle uses a lot of energy even when sleeping.

Glad to hear your Mom is doing so well
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-20, 06:11

BF:

Benay, I now realize you have mobility issues, cooking issues, and other challenges. While you seem focused on weight loss, your stats show you are within 4 pounds of goal?

Am I out of line for asking what you want from low-carbing?
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-20, 06:35

BF:

Wear Bear, those are old stats - 2007

I am a returnee - having backslided.

I can blame it on hospital and rehab facility foods post surgeries, but in reality it was food choices based upon ease of preparation and taste. Not to mention the comfort foods to ease the post surgeries depression.

Can't remember where to go to update stats.

Nov 21, I hit 200, my glass ceiling. Currently at 190 (after faithfully weighing and measuring), goal 175

The research and books have changed since I lived Protein Power in 2006-7. I am also 13 years older and 2 more (failed) surgeries later. Slow going. Not really surprising.

I do a lot of reading on low carb - just to keep my mojo going.
When I lose interest - I backslide

Thanks for asking

Edit to read: I have gone back to my user panel and updated my stats. And picture.

Last edited by Benay : Sat, Jan-18-20 at 07:10. Reason: Additional material
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-20, 10:41

BF:

Oh, I got it now, Benay! I so understand: last year around this time I fell into a similar hellhole.

Me and DH was terribly sick with an awful virus. He's got a chronic condition and was down for the count. I was stretched to transparency with caretaking and running all the errands and my full time job. So, I just ran into the grocery store and grabbed frozen meals. DH did all right, but for me it was disastrous.

I chose organic and gluten free, and even though this pushed my carb count to 100, I thought I was okay because I wasn't gaining any weight. BUT it gave me an incredible autoimmune flare.

Learned my lesson
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-20, 04:57

BF:

Thanks for sharing WereBear