Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 12:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/194/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Sticky Chicken

This recipe is a family staple and is so frequently posted on the web I can't credit the orginal poster. You gotta try this - moist and tender with a delicious mildly spicy crust! I also have done this on my grill slow cooking it and it turned out great.

Sticky Chicken

1 lg Chicken -- roasting
1 c Onion -- chopped
1/2 ts Black pepper
1/2 ts Garlic powder
1 t White pepper
1 t Thyme
1 t Onion powder
1 t Cayenne pepper
2 ts Paprika
4 ts Salt

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag,seal and refrigerate overnight. When ready to roast chicken, stuff cavity with onions, and place in ashallow baking pan. Roast, uncovered, at 250 degrees F for 5 hours. After the first hour, baste chicken occasionally (every half hour or so) with pan juices. (It may take awhile to have pan juices) The pan juices will start to caramelize on the bottom of pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it. Let chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving. NOTES : This recipe is a great way to roast a large chicken for planned leftovers, and it is very easy to make. This freezes well.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 748 Calories; 53g Fat (65.2% calories from fat); 58g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 244mg Cholesterol; 2361mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 8 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 6 Fat.

unknown item:
roasting chicken: MasterCook assumes an average 'whole' size of this ingredient.

Variation:

Sticky Orange Chicken

Serving Size : 6

Spice Mix for 1 Chicken
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Thyme
1 teaspoon Onion Powder
2 teaspoons Paprika
1 1/3 tablespoons Salt
1 Large Roasting Chicken
1 Large Orange
Place rinsed and prepared chickens in zip bags and sprinkle spice mix over the chicken. Rub bag to make it even.. put chicken in fridge over night.. next day 12-24 hours later, remove chickens from fridge and fill cavity with a whole orange cut into chunks. put in large roaster with as deep of sides as possible and roast chicken 5 hours at 250* after juices have formed apx 1.5 hours begin basting ever 30 min or so. This is soooooooooooooo good!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 19:37

Plan: Atkins (4life)..Induction
Stats: 24/24/12 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Oooooooh yummy!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 19:43
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

I made this a couple of nights ago and it was delish!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-11, 09:54

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

This is a recipe I've made before with great results.

Yesterday I made "sticky chicken" with Moroccan spices ("Ras el Hanout") instead of the spice mix in the recipe. I already had Ras el Hanout (purchased prepared) in a jar, so why not? I only had to use about half the volume of spice, and 1/4 the amount of salt to give it a nice flavor.

If you want to make your own Moroccan spice blend, here's a recipe:

http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/ma...nout_recipe.htm

I also added 1 cup of water to the roasting pan at the start of the recipe. My bird was a bit small, I decreased the oven temperature to 220F after 3 hours and ended roasting at 4.25 hours.

My chicken was fall off the bone tender and juicy