Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 19:59
What a good girl!!!

Plan: my own
Stats: 195.8/165.0/138 Female 62.5 inches
BF:Getting Rid of IT!
Progress: 53%
Default Chromium Picolinate VS. GTF Chromium

Hi there,

I have been on Atkins since July 21, 2008, and have been thinking that CALP seems like a better WOL than Atkins. I am reading we need to up the fat. I just want to figure out how to eat normal portions of normal foods. So this seemed like the one for me. But I didn't switch because I was losing weight and it seemed okay for awhile. Now I am in a 3 month stall.

I have read all of CAD and CALP. I understand this isn't Atkins with a RM. I know what is expected.

My only question is: I take lots of vitamins and supplements. One I take is Chromium Picolinate. The Hellers' book says there isn't enough studies on that and that taking GTF (glucose tolerance Factor) chromium is what I should take. Also to make sure it doesn't have other stuff in it. 200 mcg. Is this what everyone is taking?

Is there anything wrong with other stuff I am taking or would you get rid of some?

Mega multi vitamin
omega 3 fish oil
L-Carnitine
Calcium
Chromium Picolinate
Tonalin (MD mentioned for HDL and losing weight)
Co-Q 10 (100 mg)

I think that is it. Thanks for any help. I am seriously considering making this switch but is scary jumping out of Ketosis and eating pretty much like a normal person.

Thanks.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 17:16
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Lisa-
it scary to switch. On CALP we don't have to be in ketosis to lose- but this is a personal choice.

I really don't know the difference between the 2 chromiums. I took the GTF when I was first on the plan- it was hard because you could not take it with any food - and that was hard for me to remember. I think that whatever you decide is fine.

I think you are on great stuff. The only others I'd consider are magnesium (1/2 the calcium dose- taken with the calcium) and D. D is in the form of D3- there is lots written here. I also take my D with my calcium and magnesium- at night.

Please look around, read stuff, and you can ask me anything-
E
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 21:20
What a good girl!!!

Hi Eno,

Thanks for responding. I read some of CAD today and read all of CALP. I get the idea and I can understand why someone might feel like they would go out of control with carbs on this WOL. I have been doing Atkins since last July and I feel like I would like to eat this way.

I have read as much as I can around here. You seem to be the one with the answers. Glad you answered mine. My calcium is 750 mg, plus vit. D (cholecalciferol) 125 iu, and Magnesium 500 mg. My multi vitamin says it's D3 (cholecalciferol) 400 iu. It also has Magnesium at 100 mg, calcium 200 mg. By that I am guessing that D3 is cholecalciferol but will look it up and make sure I have it.

CALP and CAD seem pretty different to me. There is much more in portion control of CMs in CAD, like 3-4 oz protein. I didn't see that in CALP. Also there is a salad first in CALP. I eat a 100 gram salad everyday which is 2 cups so that would be normal. Then I eat some sort of meat. I started really skimping on the veggies because I was trying to get tons of fat and the whole thing wasn't working and felt unhealthy. CALP seems like a healthier sounding choice.

Just a couple of questions: CAD has squash and zucchini okay for veggie side and CALP has it as it in the RM. Would that mean that if I were to have zucchini, it would have to be the carb or I can only have that type of veggie during RM but it counts as the veggie? I hope that made sense. I really like salads and those veggies and cauliflower.

I want to finish all of CAD and want to start this on Wednesday. Weird day but I have my last final exam on Tuesday and have 3 weeks off. Don't want to feel any different while studying or taking exams. I like the weekly average for weight. I do tend to get obsessive a lot so hopefully I can think of this as weeks instead of everyday.

Oh, another little weird one. I drank water only for the first few months after being a diet coke crazy girl. Lately I have had a glass with dinner if it was a special occasion. If I am saving that for RM, is that the reward?? Or that would go with whatever carb? I don't really use any other SAs. I don't drink coffee. Would you say to go back to strict water for the beginning? When I do drink it, I only want the one glass and I am satisfied with it so I don't think it makes me want more carbs but who knows if it stalls me. Some people think SAs do or aspartame?

I think that's all the questions I have. I am excited and scared to do this at the same time. I worked so hard for the few pounds I lost but CAN'T gain it back. Do you think that if I am doing this for a month and I'm not losing weight, going back to just really staying at 10 carbs forever is what I have to do??? Do you think I should give it more time??

Sorry to bug you with all the questions but there isn't as much info as there is on Atkins, don't know why. Dr. Atkins mentions the Hellers' in one of his books.

Thanks for your help. I am doing my big meat buying this weekend and if you think that eating 3-4 oz of proteins at meals is what I will be doing, I will be buying a bit less. Sometimes I will have a pork chop and it's 5-6 oz but I only have the salad, not the veggies and carb. I might only want the 3-4 oz of protein.

TTFN,

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-09-09, 07:47
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
I will try and answer. I take lots more D- like 6000 units/day. It is a good thing to have tested, especially in Chicago. The calcium and Mag you are taking are fine,in my non-medical opinion.
I like CALP- I like the balance. I have never done andy weighing or measuring of the protein- the Hellers have said that was a guideline. I think the most important thing about the RM is to balance the carbs with the protein and have lots of veggies. The CM veggie list changed between books as some people have problems with those veggies- like zuchini and brocoli. It is a YMMV issue- I eat all of those as CM. I don't eat peas- that is probably my only RM green veggie!
I think diet drinks are not good for us- but I still have some too. I do not include them as a carb. If you have real sugar drinks that would be your carb with RM.
Not drinking lots of diet soda is probably a good thing.
About the fat- CALP is not a low fat plan, but it is not high fat either. I use olive oil and butter, eat real cheese and use h&h in my coffee if I don't take it black. I also have sour cream and full fat salad dressings. But I do not try and up my fat like some do on this site.

HTH- and good luck on exams!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-09-09, 10:54
What a good girl!!!

Thanks Eno,

I'm joining up on Wednesday!! Studying and shopping for everything and will be on the daily thread. Thanks for your info. It has really helped with some of my fears. I will get the D3 up!! Thanks.

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-10-09, 05:41

Plan: Keto
Stats: 148/146/133 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 13%

I agree about vit D. I actually have been hearing about docs (ie of friends) telling their chronic pain sufferers to make sure they are taking it. Most peoples diet's are really lacking.