Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 21:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 445/305/220 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default j13's exercise log...

Just starting one of these to keep track of my goals or progress. I'll probably keep it to milestones, as I exercise every day or nearly every day and tracking it completely just doesn't make too much sense. I've had a few milestones recently that I put in my journal, but JudyNYC told me about keeping a gym log so I think I'll start to do that.

Today I hit the treadmill and did 2 miles alternating between jogging and walking (I've been doing 4 miles usually, but I also wanted to hit the kettlebell as well so I kept it at 2). Of the 2 miles I did 1.15 jogging at 6-6.3 mph, including one stretch of 0.75 miles of jogging without switching back to walking, which was great because (1) it's the longest I've jogged without stopping for who knows how long (ever? possibly...) and (2) my goal for this year is jog a mile straight, and now it's seeming like it might be doable by summer rather than 2008. Hopefully...

After the treadmill I hit the kettlebell and did 3 sets of 8 of everything (dumbbell curls, both arms, kettlebell clean and presses, both arms, and kettlebell 1-arm swings, both arms), then finished with one set of 10 of everything. A real good workout. I figured I'd double down on the exercise today as I'm probably going down to AC tomorrow and I probably won't get a chance to do anything beforehand.

-j.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 21:43
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Good for you Jake!!
Your gonna be a hard body!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-07, 23:10

BF:

Thanks, Judy. I really appreciate how supportive you are.

I don't know if I'm going to be a hard body...I'm shooting for marginally-less-terrible body right now, but thanks again...

I did 5 miles today instead of 4. My time for the 5 miles was 66:22, my time for the first 4 miles was 52:34 (I wanted to get under my second-lowest time, which was 52:52 that I mentioned in my journal). After the 6 miles I kept walking, but at a slowly-reduced cool down rate. I did 75 minutes of walking/jogging total. Pretty decent.

Not sure whether I'm going to do cardio or kettlebell tomorrow, but I'm leaning towards kettlebell.

-j.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 22:24

BF:

Hit the kettlebell tonight, and managed to get back up to doing sets of 10 at 53 lbs again. I did 4 x 10 and 1 x 8. 4-5 sets of 10 at 53 lbs is where I want to be, so I'm going to try and stick there for a while, until it becomes easy.

-j.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 14:57

BF:

I'll just x-post this from my journal, and start using this to document these kinds of things more than the journal.

I managed to jog a full mile straight today! That was my goal for the year, and I got there February 1st. It's pretty awesome because (1) it's very likely that I've never done that before in my life, (2) if I have done it before it hasn't been since I was 11 or 12 years old, and (3) I *certainly* never did a mile in 10 minutes before in my life, which is what I did today (I did the full mile at 6 mph). Also, I beat my previous 4 mile mark when I completed that in 47:34 today. The rest of the time I used the same method as before, alternating between walking and jogging. Of the 4 miles, over 2 were done jogging (either 2 1/4 or 2 1/2, I lost track...). I did most of the walking at 4 mph, some of it at 4.2 or 4.3. I did most of the jogging at 6 mph, some of it at 6.3 and a couple of small bursts (.10 miles or less) at 7 mph.

At any rate, I'm really pleased with that.

So now I'm about up to par with where I want to be, working-out wise. I want to maintain with the kettlebell at 4-5 sets of 10 at 53 lbs until that becomes easy to do, and I want to try and jog a mile of 4 miles total on a regular basis. It's not really like me to stay in one place, but I think it would be good to get these things down before moving up at either of them, as they're both still REALLY hard for me at this point. If/when they get easy I'll think about what to do next.

-j.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 02:16

BF:

Managed to do 5 sets of 10 on all exercises for my kettlebell routine. Hopefully I can keep to that pace.

-j.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 11:41

BF:

I managed to jog 1 1/4 miles yesterday without stopping. I did 3 miles total in 34:46, and I jogged 2 miles of it total.

-j.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 15:57

BF:

I did 4 miles today on the treadmill and beat my previous record by doing it in 46:56. In addition, I just barely beat my 3 mile mark, doing it in 34:43. I also managed to jog one of the miles straight through again, which I'm still remarkably proud of doing despite having done it a couple of times by now.

I also mentioned in my journal that I went ice skating today for the first time ever. Pretty fun. I'm not good enough at it that it was particularly aerobic in nature, but it was still something.

-j.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 21:51

BF:

I hit the kettlebell tonight and managed 5 sets of 10 of everything.

-j.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 17:11
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Fantastic job, Jake! You're kickin butt and takin names. I was just over here getting ready to start my own gym log and saw yours...had to stop in. I can't believe your weight...you are dropping it like a bad habit, so to speak. haha
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 19:35

BF:

Thanks a lot, lisa...I'm trying. We'll see how things go. I've been bouncing up and down a lot this week, as high as 294 and as low at 288...I think it's been water weight because I've had a LOT of sodium this week, between super bowl fried peperoni and buffalo wings to the hot sauce I've been having on my lunch all week, and I've been trying to up my water to wash it out. Anyway, my body fat analyzer was as low as its been this morning, so I'm not too concerned with it. One way or another, I've been able to stay under 300, which is KEY. Getting to the other side of that barrier was a killer. And I'm definitely putting on muscle, between the kettlebell exercise and the walking/jogging.

On to today - I took a (relatively rare) day off yesterday, but hit the treadmill today. I didn't break any records, but didn't try because I'm feeling a bit under the weather. I still did the 4 miles though (when I started I was just going to do 2, then 3, then said to hell with it and did the whole 4), and jogged one of my miles straight (and did another 1ish jogging in addition). Total time was 47:29. Pretty happy with it if only because (1) I did it despite not feeling great, and (2) I managed to jog one of the miles, which still really feels like an accomplishment when I do it. It's still really hard. Hopefully I'll stick with it long enough for it to get easier.

-j.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 17:40
Taking MY Turn

BF:

I can really relate to so much of what you're dealing with, Jake. My weight's been bouning (I can blame it on sodium AND TOM, haha) but I really feel my body and bodyfat % are in a good spot...best I've been in years. Funny thing is, I'm so wiped right now, but I went to the gym and did a "lower level" cardio too. I didn't push the heartrate, but did 50 minutes on the elliptical (well I had my minimum heartrate at least, I just didn't push it higher). Sometimes you feel tired and I think you need to respect your body. BUT I also think it's good to keep going and push yourself enough too...encouraging yourself to just do SOMETHING. Something is always better than nothing. I have a personal goal of *not* going without exercise for more than two days. So basically I'll take off a weekend, but that's it. I find it helps my sanity not to overdo it, but also keeps from allowing me to get in that bad habit of inactivity.

Ok, I'll stop yapping in your gym log...but I was just pleased to see your progress and to see it's kinda similar to mine. I'm excited for you! And me too!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 16:04
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hey Jake - ok so how weird was that? I was just posting in your journal and I go to check my gym log and there is a post from you. I felt for you 'cause being sick sucks, especially when you're on a roll with your fitness.

To answer your question, I spend about 2 hours at the gym. I take about a 1/2 hour to warm up and do abs and isometric work...push-ups...bridges, etc. I use about 1/2 hour to do resistance/strength training, which right now is determined by what my trainer has shown me. Today it was squats and pull-ups and such. Sometimes I spill over depending on the rest I need in-between (for that quick-step thing I do, shuffling my feet fast on a step - kinda like climbing a hill and trying to keep my feet touching light - I'm gasping for breath and running for the water when I'm done...I need extra recovery time for that). The remaining hour of my workout is comprised of 30-45 minutes of some form of cardio, which I switch out and try to use intervals with, as you mentioned. (HIIT is in my future, though, but for now I'm winging it.) I use at least 10 minutes to stretch out really well. My flexibility has truly come back to me...the kind I'd send in the days of martial arts and dancing (I did tap in many musicals years and years ago). So I concentrate a lot of that. My next goal is yoga, which I'm trying carefully to incorporate into a hectic schedule.

You're right, it IS a lot to do, but I'm trying to be thorough yet efficient with my time. I figure if I do this just 3x a week, then I need to combine it as I have. It's difficult with my schedule to promise time to drive to the gym and workout every day...so this is my compromise.

If I can get myself to do some working out at home (e.g. yoga) that's cool, but otherwise I allow myself days off plus if I'm not up to the challenge of doing it all, I will split up the cardio and do that the next day (with I did on Th/Fr of this week).

How's it been for you doing something (nearly) every day? I'm not sure I could commit to that and not freak out (about all the work I have waiting for me at home and feeling guilty about being away).
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 14:51

BF:

Two hours at a time would be way harder for me...I can handle doing an hour every day, but with everything else in my schedule, 2 hours would just be more than I could manage. The hour's alright because it's like a lot of things: once it's in your routine, it's in your routine. If I took a lot of days off (like if I went every other day or something) I think I'd be more likely to find excuses to not do it.

Plus, I think finding things that I could do at home was key for me, because the extra driving, changing, waiting for equipment to open up, etc., that would be involved in going to a gym could get rough. And I'm just too self-conscious. I wish I weren't, but I'd still feel like a magnet for derision in a room full of people working out.

I actually got a couple of yoga dvd's last week and my current feeling is that I'm not sure I'm into it. I might try it here and there, but one DVD that I got is too fruity for me, for lack of a better term:

http://www.amazon.com/Kundalini-Beg...3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

and the other is stuff I have no possibility of being able to do, and goes too fast to learn very effectively or quickly:

http://www.amazon.com/Bryan-Kest-Po...3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

I basically just chose them because they were the 2 biggest sellers on Amazon, which may not have been the best method, but which is a method that worked in the past.

I'd like to do something to improve my flexibility (although the kettlebell does help somewhat), but I'm not sure that Yoga's for me.

Anyway, to note what I've been doing, Saturday I did nothing because I was just too sick, Sunday and Monday I hit the Kettlebell, as much as I could. Pretty good workout Monday when I did passes for the first time in a long time, which I found to be really good.

-j.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 10:17

BF:

Just filling in, Tuesday I basically just did snow removal, Wednesday I took off (went to a titans/cheifs (ECHL) game and nearly won chuck a puck, then took out my not-winning-chuck-a-puck-angst on the opposing team with a period of rather over-the-top and heartfelt taunting). Yesterday I hit the kettlebell (sets: 2x8 and 3x10 at 53 lbs, clean and presses and 1-armed swings, plus 5x10 double dumbbell lifts, 35lbs on each arm), then this morning I hit the treadmill and made new records of 34:33 for 3 miles and 46:25 for 4 miles. I wasn't conciously shooting to do that, it just happened, I suppose because I did more of my walking at 4.3 and more of my jogging at 6.3-6.5. I didn't do a mile of jogging straight today, but obviously I kept the pace up. I haven't been sleeping too well and my energy's been low, so I'm just trying to make sure that I get the exercise in and while not overpressing myself.

-j.