Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-15, 15:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Batten The Hatches

Okay this month we need to really be on guard!! We know that there will be lots of temptations.
My plan is to have plenty of the foods I can eat in stock. We can make really tasty filling meals with the foods that work for us. Snacks will be a big temptation, well for me anyway. Again plan ahead and have something beforehand.
Personally I still find it difficult to say no thank you when someone has made something special. So I'm thinking, by not allowing myself to get too hungry, I will save drawing attention to myself by just having a little bit. Wish we weren't put in this position and I know it's my problem not theirs.

So come on let's do this. Let's keep coming on here keep posting and supporting.
Imagine how proud we will be of ourselves come the start of January!!
Then imagine how we will feel after all our hard work and learning new habits if we go overboard and think we owe it to ourselves to really enjoy all the treats. Who are we kidding they are not treats they are mostly addictive poison. Come beginning of January how will we feel having indulged?
I know what I'm choosing!
Who's up for joining me in regular posting this month??

Last edited by esw : Tue, Dec-01-15 at 01:06.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-30-15, 16:56
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default I promise to do my best

I'll do my best to follow you down the "do good" road. Why? Because I really, really don't want my fingers to start hurting again. I really, really don't want to gain back the little bit I've lost + the many pounds more I know would follow.

I pledge to do my best to post encouragement here on the thread and not to point fingers at those who fail.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-15, 06:47

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

My Christmas will involve two vegans, one coeliac, several gluten intolerant. Go ahead, single me out for not trying a particular food. Kind of makes it easier.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-15, 07:10
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hiya esw! Here's my 2 cents worth:

Remember, DON'T let the holidays be the “reason for the season” of senselessly eating OFF PLAN! Stay 100% OP because WE are so WORTH IT!

We'll be ahead of the game when all the other people start the New Year with all those well intended New Years Resolutions!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-15, 13:12

BF:

Jump on board, we can do this.
Glad your with me Bluesinger, it will be good for us to keep checking in.
Teaser, you are much braver than me, I am rubbish when it comes to standing alone
Thanks for the two cents worth Jo, they are worth much more than that You always have something wise and supportive to contribute.

So day one almost done. On plan but hungrier than normal in afternoon. May have had too many vegetables in soup and salad at lunch. Possibly they were too quickly absorbed. Haven't quite been able to lose the (fill up on fruit and vegetables mentality) I'm getting better but it still needs working on Well actually I now eat very little fruit but haven't quite accepted that vegetables might put my blood sugar up (and down)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-15, 13:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Funny you should start this thread. I bought a big bag of Kirkland bacon bits from Amazon, and have been making sure that there's always a full dozen eggs, and a quart of heavy cream in the frig.

I like my breakfast, and who can feel deprived if breakfast was scrambled eggs with heavy cream and bacon? Not to mention the fact that lunch is a distant memory, when I'm only able to eat a little bit of nuts or cheese between breakfast and dinner, with such a hearty breakfast.

Find something about the "treats" that you can't have. I get puffy and dopey from grains. So I just point out the puffy, and people stop trying to convince me to eat them.

Lucky for me, I'm a stubborn, opinionated Irishwoman, so being pushed to do something usually results in the opposite effect, anyway.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 00:47

BF:

MickiSue you don't know just how apt your comment is!! Actually I keep forgetting that I used to get runny puffy eyes and runny nose when I ate processed crap. Could never pinpoint what it was but it NEVER happens now! However even more so, sweet things will definitely upset my blood sugar and although fortunately I am not diabetic I very easily could be. So a quick "it makes my blood sugar unstable" might give me a bit of peace.
The thing I find (me being over sensitive again) some women actually don't like me saying no thank you or not loading my plate with crap. I'm not imaging it, I get comments like "you make me feel bad" or "no wonder I'm fat". They pretend they are joking but I'm not so sure there isn't a wee dig in there. I know on those occasions it's their problem but again I am made to feel uncomfortable for eating the way I want. I mean it's not as if I comment on what they are eating!! Anyway rant over but actually it was quite cathartic.
Xmas shopping today so I have my little emergency container of macadami nuts in my handbag.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 08:19

Wow. You are eating with the wrong people, if they feel that it's reasonable to comment on your food choices.

I think Miss Manners would say, "I'm sorry you feel that way," which covers a lot of ground, and says, but doesn't say, that if MY food choices lead YOU to feel uncomfortable, you may want to rethink your food choices.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 08:29

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Teaser, you are much braver than me, I am rubbish when it comes to standing alone

More like hopeful. I've caved on too many holiday occasions to be called brave. Most times, I can do fine when others are eating carbs, something like Christmas--that does come just once the year--makes it a bit harder. My main reason for wanting to be good isn't health or weight though, I easily go back to keto after Holidays--it's just that I'll actually enjoy the day more if I'm good--no coma, and high fat, low carb actually tastes better to me.

I find even when I'm not actually tempted by high carb food, I'll still be sort of hyperaware of it sometimes if other people are at the same table eating it. So I can either glance at it a bit too often, or pointedly not look at it--insecure people can and have misjudged this as me judging what they are eating. Like a reformed alcoholic sitting at a table of non-alcoholics sipping wine--he might not care a whit about the other's behaviours, just being around the stuff makes him nervous, and others might misinterpret this.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 06:52

BF:

[QUOTE=teaser] Like a reformed alcoholic sitting at a table of non-alcoholics sipping wine--QUOTE]

Sounds familiar!!
Xmas shopping was quite a pain. Feet were killing me by the end of it. Shops weren't too busy though and queues were acceptable.

Nice xmas biccies at work but to be honest I'm not even interested. They used to have such a hold on me.
Better not get too full of myself as it wouldn't take much!! A slippery slope indeed.
Got to keep reading and keep posting.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 09:39

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey, ESW! I get you. I've got 11 months under my belt in this WOE, but frankly, the holidays have got me a bit nervous. As a mostly introverted person and somewhat socially awkward, I hate calling attention to myself. Being sensitive myself (which I don't consider a bad thing) comments like you have been getting would make me feel uncomfortable, too. I wish I could just be cavalier about it, but honestly, it's taken a bit of practice to not internalize things like that.

I asked on another thread about how people handle food pushers during the holidays. Didn't get many answers. Not real comfortable with being blunt and would rather be gracious. I think I am going to say things like "Looks delicious, but I am really full right now. I'll have some later." Later never comes. Or "You know I've developed an allergy to wheat. It tastes really good, but really hurts my stomach later."

My other strategy for the holidays is to make sure that I have some treats that are legal. Don't want to feel deprived.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 09:51
Doing My Best

Default When there are bad things happening in the world

When there are really bad things happening in the world, I think about eating off Plan. Isn't that weird? I guess it's reactive depression talking in my head.

Anybody else have that? Maybe that's another reason for overeating during the Holidays, either too much of a good thing or too much of a bad thing (family get-togethers) causing reactive depression.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 12:39

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm also really nervous about this time of year, many things seem to be conspiring to throw me off plan.
--a bit of seasonal affective disorder, general low-energy feeling (though not near as bad as it used to be). Could be some of what you are dealing with Glenda.
--stuck in the house a lot due to bad weather, can't work as much.
--clients, friends, family plying me with "treats"--I really can't say "I don't eat sugar" when someone has made up a specially wrapped box or plate of home-made cookies and chocolates just for me.
--my husband has started bringing home Costco stuff--applets and cotlets, candied nuts, etc...and I have eaten a few now and then.
--I'd like to lose one more pound, but not highly motivated.

Seems like I need a challenge of just "being on plan" through the holidays, some kind of goal to focus on (but not beating myself up when I slip).
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 12:47
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
I'm also really nervous about this time of year, many things seem to be conspiring to throw me off plan.
--a bit of seasonal affective disorder, general low-energy feeling (though not near as bad as it used to be). Could be some of what you are dealing with Glenda.
--stuck in the house a lot due to bad weather, can't work as much.
--clients, friends, family plying me with "treats"--I really can't say "I don't eat sugar" when someone has made up a specially wrapped box or plate of home-made cookies and chocolates just for me.
--my husband has started bringing home Costco stuff--applets and cotlets, candied nuts, etc...and I have eaten a few now and then.
--I'd like to lose one more pound, but not highly motivated.

Seems like I need a challenge of just "being on plan" through the holidays, some kind of goal to focus on (but not beating myself up when I slip).
I'll tell you what I'm telling myself JustJo would say, "The daily challenge is just being on plan." After all, we came to this thread because we recognize our weakness. Mine is mostly in my head, so I just have to overcome myself. Yours seems to be saying no to others, which says that you're a good person, but it won't help you feel that you've met the challenge. I guess it's just up to us to decide. For me, it's "Will I stay on plan or am I tacitly giving myself permission to eat carbage?" I'm on this forum, on this particular thread to overcome myself, whether I feel depressed or not.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 13:08

Ah, the fights with our carb addicted selves are epic, aren't they?

I had to be really honest with myself, and realize that it WASN'T being nice to say yes to junk, it was giving myself an out to eat something I wanted to eat, anyway. WOW, that hurt!

It was only then that I realized that it really isn't about other people's ideas of me, it's about MY idea of me. Am I a person who keeps my commitments to my own health, or do I look for excuses to go off plan? Again, OW OW OW!!

JustJo talks about fat Jo a lot, and how she fights to keep her at bay. I had to realize that the Micki who gave herself permission to eat bags full of dried fruit last winter was NOT the Micki I wanted to be, and she cared more about feeding the carb addiction than about her own health. So I had to make her a third party to this endeavor, too, following Jo's thought process. After all, we may love an addict. we may think an addict is good at heart, if it weren't for their addiction. But, deep down, we can never trust an addict, because, until they acknowledge that the addiction means more to them than ANYTHING or ANYONE, including themself, they can't turn away from the addiction.

For me, fast approaching my 65th birthday, that realization came a little late in the game! But at least it came.