Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 09:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/229/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile late coming introduction

hi everyone,

i know i've read (and commented) on several of your threads but have never really addressed an introduction here.

i've been LC'ing since June 9 and been on this board for quite awhile. When i come into it, i generally just click on "New Posts" so i get posts from lots of different forums.

i've read lots of threads lately about the 20 or 30 pound losers "being the same" as 100 pound, more or less, losers. My business partner is one of those. Yes, she could probably stand to lose 25 pounds. She is always saying to me, "it doesn't matter how fat you are, if you don't like your body, you don't like your body, period." Well, yes and no but she just doesn't see that DEGREE makes a (pardon the pun) HUGE difference! She and i also do a lot of social things together. People, men in particular, flock to her, practically elbowing me out of the way to get to her. We write software so attend seminars as vendors. I see the difference in the way potential customers treat me, as opposed to the way they treat her. And, while this is a somewhat crude example, no man ever gave me his room number. Honest -- all we sell is software!

i also understand that, even though there is a world of difference between 20 pounds to lose and 100+ pounds to lose, my demeanor is more reserved that hers is. Even when i reach my goal weight, i will be somewhat shy, at first, in large social gatherings. It's just me.

Anyway, before i ramble on anymore, just wanted to say hi.

Take care and Have Fun!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 10:27

Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Progress: 56%
Default Good to meet you!

Hi Kidee,

Glad to make your aquaintance.

I just read this post and it struck a chord with me. 100+ pounds does make a difference. We notice the social boundaries that others put on us plus size lovelies. And by the way, you are a lovely woman- without losing a single pound! I have noticed a LOT more men are paying attention to me now that I have lost weight than before. I am not one who would stands out in a crowd or dresses in a manner to attract attention. It took a long time for people to notice, now I can hardly walk to the cafeteria at work without someone stopping me to ask how I lost ALL that weight.

Keep up the great job. Your losses are steady so far. This WOE seems to agree with you. I love it 'cause I can woof down a burger and extra cheese and still lose weight while my co-workers are starving on Weight Watchers cardboard meals. LOL!

Give love to your kitties and keep on smilin' !
Tanya
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 18:55
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Kidee,

Nice to meet you. I also find it very supportive to be around people who need to lose 100+ pounds. Some (not all) of our issues are different from people who need to lose less weight.

Congratulations on your success so far!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 19:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 350/307/185 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:51%
Progress: 26%

I know that this has been mentioned before in the post on are we "sizest" when we say we have our own issues that people with 20-30 pounds to lose.

I have had people who are 100 pounds lighter than I am say that I am not fat, and that they are, and then complain about how fat they are. That is just one of my pet peeves.

Not all our issues are different, but some of them are.

I am getting spacey and can't remember what else I wanted to say.

That's all for now.
Rena
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 11:00
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Hi Kiddee. Wow, you write software! That's cool. I hate programming and frankly it would drive me nuts if I had to do it all day. On the other hand I enjoy computer networking, working with websites and repairing computers.

Anyway, back to the reason you posted this thread.
Here is a dialog that actually happened on a doctor visit. Don't get me wrong, he suggested Atkins and monitors my health so I appreciate that.

Me: I can't control what I eat. I know the difference between good and bad food, I just can't control how much I eat. Can you help me with my appetite?
My doctor: You just have to MAKE yourself eat less. I know how you feel. I have a weight problem too. I've had to lose weight and I know it's hard.
Me: (surprised) Lose weight? You had a weight problem? How much did you have to lose?
My doctor: 10 pounds
Me: With a twisted look on my face (thinking to myself) that's not a weight problem

I enjoyed reading your post, and keep up the good work!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 21:22

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%

HI! Always nice to see new folks online!

Nicole
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 13:51

Stats: 220/190/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:Bunches
Progress: 43%

I know what you mean. I work with a skinny girl who eats constantly and I mean ALL day long. She talks about how fat she is (she may be 120 pounds soaking wet and with boots on). I think she is fishing for compliments but oh well. People like that make it hard.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 14:04

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

i sorta agree with your partner in a sense... i can totally sympathize with someone who is 120 pounds and wants to lose 10. we both have low self esteem, confidence issues, etc. we do certainly have differences as well, but i think most of those difference are merely physical. being someone who just recently gained the attention of men again, i can tell you, its all unwanted. and that can get so annoying, sometimes it honestly makes me want to hide under my 60 pound shelter again. it can get frustrating sometimes, tho... when you would nearly die to look as good as someone who is complaining how fat/ugly they are, i certainly understand that, but i guess just try to see through her eyes.

anywhoo... its nice to meetcha & i hope to see more posts from you
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 15:09

Stats: 320.0/282.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Smile Welcome!

You've come to right place - tons of support to go around (no pun intended)! Hope to hear from you often!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-04, 15:00

Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately
Progress: 24%

Welcome to the TDC officially Glad you introduced yourself!!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-04, 16:43
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Welcome to the TDC! As someone who started out with almost 200 pounds to lose, and now has 60 pounds to lose, I can tell you there is a world of difference between having 180 pounds to lose and having 60 pounds to lose and even between having 100 pounds to lose and having 60 pounds to lose! I am sure there is also a world of difference between having 100 pounds to lose and having 25 pounds to lose -- that's why we need the TDC.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 09:14

Plan: LC/Whole Food
Stats: 293/271/170 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi!!! & Welcome!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 09:55

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

HI welcome to the forum and the TDC.
It is hard to be the largest/oldest one around. Its good to be among friends who know the challenges.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 07:48
Twinkle Toes

Stats: 300/280/150 Female 5 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi and welcome Kidee

Great to have you aboard the TDC, it is chock full of great people who will help you out whenever you need, just ask and more than likely one of us will be able to answer your questions or offer you encouragement when you need it.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 07:57

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 499.0/166.0/199.0 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Welcome Aboard!!