Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-07, 17:07
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I believe I used a 9" but I think I have also tried it in some other sizes too. Unfortunately I decide when its done based on look rather than time. It looks glossy on top and you may think its slightly uncooked but it isnt.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jan-22-07, 17:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240.2/227.4/164 Female 69 inches
BF:mini goal 225
Progress: 17%

I used a 9 by 13. I guess it was suppossed to be just 9''.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 12:23
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

oh yeah, its not that big of a cake. I make it in a round cake pan. I believe I have a picture of it in the photo section with the pumpkin swirl instead of a cream cheese swirl.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 17:18
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Ok, so what is shugr?
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jan-28-07, 02:17
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

shugr is a sweetener that is all/mostly natural. Its actually a blend of sweeteners. It has tagatose, erythritol, maltodextrin and a little sucralose to boost the sweetness.

It tastes JUST like sugar when used in cooking and it cooks like sugar. It will make a simple syrup and caramelize the tops of creme brulees with no cooling effect.

I love the stuff much more than splenda. The problem is that recently it has become impossible to get. I think it might be tagatose related or they are reformulating it or something.

I know where I can get it in bulk but it would cost $1000 and I dont really want to spend that much lol. Nor would I need that much sweetener! I still have a good amount left since I dont use it often and I stocked up but it really was the best tasting sweetener I have ever had and had fewer carbs than granular splenda. The small versions are still available online for a super jacked up price and drugstore.com sells packets but I used to get the large containers which vanished. I tried contacting the company but my emails get bounced back and I received no responses to my phone calls.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 17:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Sadly, with tagatose being really new (newer than erythritol) in terms of being allowed by the FDA in the US (or the CFIA in Canada), and really expensive -- ings don't drop in price until they become more common, and more commonly available, and don't even think about patent protection and licensing costs -- the Shugr ended up being priced out by the competition in the sweetener market.

I'll be sad when my container is gone, but expect that sometime in the near future, we may see more tagatose/erythritol products.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 17:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

MyJourney, I made this cake, tweaked it a bit because of your, ahem, interesting measurement technique and glazed it. Wonderful! I've input it to MasterCook, so here's my version AND the nutrition numbers, too.

Thanks again!

Quote:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Flourless Chocolate & CheeseCake, Glazed

Recipe By : Judi [IslandGirl]
Serving Size : 16
Categories : Cakes, Icings & Pies, Chocolate, Gluten & Wheat Free, Veggie Ovo-Lacto

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Flourless Chocolate Base:
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate -- chopped
2 tablespoons whipping cream
4 ounces butter -- ~ 1/2 cup
3/4 cup Sweetener, Sugar Sweetness Equivalent -- *see Note
4 whole large eggs -- beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa -- sifted
Cheesecake Top:
8 ounces cream cheese light 23% BF WF
1/2 cup Sweetener, Sugar Sweetness Equivalent -- *see Note
3 whole large eggs
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Chocolate Glaze:
1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate -- chopped
1 1/2 ounces butter -- ~ 3 Tbsp
1/4 cup Sweetener, Sugar Sweetness Equivalent -- *see Note
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300F. Panspray or butter a springform pan, 8 or 9 ".

Over a double boiler, melt chocolate, butter, cream and sweetener; when well melted, stir in the cocoa, then take off the heat when done but keep warm. In a separate bowl, stir eggs and vanilla til well broken up (try not to beat in too much air).

Mix all ingredients for cheesecake topping in a food processor (magic bullet works well and is very quick).

Stir the egg mixture into the warm chocolate mixture.

Pour the chocolate in as a base, then gently pour the cheesecake mixture on top in a zig zag or spiral pattern and use a spatula or spoon handle to swirl them together a bit.

Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the center still jiggles VERY slightly. Cool completely. Remove from the pan carefully and plate.

Over the double boiler, melt chocolate, sweetener, butter and vanilla til smooth and glossy. While still warm, spoon over the top of the cooled cake, smoothing gently to the edges. Refrigerate.

Description: "very rich, great for special occasions"
Source: "mods to original recipe from MyJourney on www.lowcarbfriends.com"
Copyright: "© LowCarb FoodExperts Canada® / Kitchen Counter™"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 212 Calories; 20g Fat (81.5% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 133mg Cholesterol; 152mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Whipped Cream (no sweetening needed)

NOTES : 2007-01-26
* I used Shugr, an erythritol based granular sweetener.
Whole Recipe: 3398 Calories; 326g Fat (81.5% calories from fat); 79g Protein; 88g Carbohydrate; 27g Dietary Fiber; 2127mg Cholesterol; 2436mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 7 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 50 1/2 Fat; 3 Other Carbohydrates.
NET 3.8g carb per 16th slice (61/16=~3.8 before rounding of ings by MC).

#23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 19:10

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Thanks to both of you for this recipe! I've copied it into my MasterCook program for safe-keeping and easy finding, and I'm looking forward to making the chocolate part for DH for Valentine's Day (he won't eat cheese of any variety, so just the chocolate "brownies" section for him). I'll try the whole recipe later in the month when we visit DD and SIL - he's had bouts of IBS and is experimenting with grain and gluten avoidance - seems to be helping! I wish I could get him into full-blown low-carb, but I keep reminding myself - "baby-steps".

hugs, Glenda