Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/182.5/155
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default New, need a buddy...I'm in MA...

I'm postin again...I'd really like a buddy that I could e-mail with...doing it with help is so much easier....I'm a great "encourager" This is my first week on Atkins, and I'm down about 3 pounds...e-mail me....

allanigan~aol.com

~A
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 19:21
Registered Member

Stats: 180/170/160
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Hi

I would like a buddy too. I am in Revere, MA. Where is Berlin MA?
should I give my e-mail address or do we just reply to messages?

Give me a jingle.

Hoping to hear from you
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 06:48
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Yeah...a buddy in MA...

Berlin MA is near Marlboro, which is where I work....Hudson is also a town nearby, I grocery shop there....Berlin is TINY...and that's why I love it...

How long have you ben Lc'ing? This is only my first week. I did awesome the first four days (3 pounds) but then I think I thought gee I can do anything....and I started adding more veggies...and eating more and I only lost .5 of a pound the last four days...so I lost 3.5 pounds the first week. Still happy, but I am very eager to see the scale read BELOW 190...That a big break for me. Then my next big step is to get below 182...that's what I was at last summer...I'n not going off inducion till I reach 180. So as of today I'm buckling back down. Back to salads at lunch time...and a veggie at dinner. I went grocery shopping last night and bought all kind sof fish and meats, so I shouldn't get bored. I did start exercizing as well. I'm doing 20 minutes on the elliptical machine three times a week, and I hope to work in a little weight training on my off nights.

What is your diet like? Any secrets to share? I found sugar free, carb free jello in little packs last night made by jello...I bet there are hidden carbs in there somewhere, but I'm going to enjoy them as a treat now and then...

How did you do on induction? I was really sick when I was trying to stick to 20 carbs at the begining....I had really bad headaches and no energy...I moved it up to 30 carbs and am now working really hard to stay at 20 to 25 evey day. I use fitday.com and try to estimate as fair as I can on portion size....

One question that I wonder about is the Atkins book says that once you go into fat burning you will not be as hungry...I am always hungry....Does that mean I'm not burning fat yet? I think I'm going to post that on the question board...I'm eating fair sized portions...so I'm full in the immediate but not long term (hungry again with in an hour sometimes!) Any ideas? Well I look forward to hearing from you...if you want to do it this way...it's fine with me...or we can e-mail...let me know......

Take Care!

Amy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 08:12
Registered Member

Stats: 180/170/160
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Buddy

Hi Amy
I will try to answer all your questions.
I have been l'carbing for close to 35 years. Had to do it because of headaches and stomach cramps. My first intro to it was a book called "martini's & Whipped Cream". I think that was the first book on this WOE. I have a problem losing and so now I am registering everyday on Fit Day and I can see all the hidden carbs I am consuming. I am really trying because 2 1/2 years ago I lost 38 lbs but have gained back 20 of that and I feel logey and disgusted with myself,. It is so easy to fall back into the carb indulging.
I haven't done any excersing lately but thinking of joining Curves. In fact after seeing so much support on this board I think I will get myself down there today and register.
Haven't tried that sugar free carb free jello but will look today. Is it prepared or the box you have to make? Mine always comes out rubbery when I make it.
I seem to be fine with the 20 carbs per day but I haven't lost anything and it was suggested I add more veggies. I am not a big veggie eater except for romaine, spinach and brocalli but I am going to try some others.
As far as being hungry, I can honestly say I am not except that if I am sitting watching tv, reading or just relaxing I get itchy and just want to snack.. I try to hit the low carbs such as pork rinds, cold meat from leftovers etc.
I will give you my e-mail. It is pattierpm~aol.com but we can try either.
Good Luck
Pattie

Last edited by pattierpm : Wed, Sep-25-02 at 08:25.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 11:55
Registered Member

BF:
Default I was thinking about curves too!

In fact I ripped a coupon out, I think that right now though I am going to focus on getting it done at home...I have a wonderful motovating boyfriend who tell me how proud he is of me when I don't want to get up and exercise...it's worked so far...he might have to strong arm me later...I look at Victoria secret catologs while I exercise for my inspiration....LOL....

the jello is premade...in the little jello cups, but it's the sugar free kind...I got the variety pack and it was pretty good. Not as good as the icecream my boyfriend had, but it helped...LOL

So far since lunch the hunger has been better...Not hungry too much now and lunch was hour and 25 minutes ago, so that's better...I had a salad with egg, and meat on top...it was pretty good.

I love veggies, and that's why I'm eatting over 20 carbs per day....I can't cut them down! I think thought that since it is veggies going over the 20 carbs per day that is alot better than if I was eating pasta and rice....I haven't had any "grain" carbs all week...so I haven't cheated that way.

I did just get a response today that I should add more fat to my diet, that my percentages fat to carbs to protien were not quite right, so I'm going to try that out....Olive Oil and butter on my fish and veggies tongiht I guess....

Right now I'm dealing with the fact that my boyfirends new KNOW IT ALL brother in law is a paramedic and is filling his head with all this untrue bad stuff about Atkins...he hasn't done any research or anything, he just spews out all this crap (excuse my french) about how bad the diet is for you...everything myboyfreind says to refute...but it's getting old already....I'm almost ready to tell the guy (his brother in law) to do some research or shut up....my boyfriend (Jay or Jason) is still really supportive of me though...I have that luxury that some don't that he actually fell in love with the fat me so I don't have to lose weight to get back to how I was when he met me or anything like that!

Well I should get back to work....

Talk to you soon, and take Care!

Amy
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 10:44

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Default Hi There

HI I was reading throug your post and noticed that you guys were from mass. I also am from Ma and was looking for a buddy.I am fairly knew to this I started yeasterday but cheated (yes cheated on DAY 1) so I guess today is day one.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 10:58
Registered Member

BF:
Default HI!

Don't give up! It's the hardest the first week..then all the cravings and everythign go away...i don't even crave sweets anymore...I had really bad headaches the frist week...but that's natureal! Stick with it...I can't recomend this diet enough...I'm on my fourth week and I'm down 6 pound sin three weeks (I don't weigh this week till Wed...) I am a really slow loser though..So people lose much faster...If you want, e-mail me and let me know what your doing for meals etc and I'll look them over!

allanigan~aol.com

Take Care!